• Show
Clear All
  • DrMaddVibe
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

Paul's Solo Album

Wednesday, December 21st 2005 Keith Leroux
    By: Keith Leroux

Last Tuesday I received one of the best KISSmas gifts ever! Paul Stanley himself played me his new CD! Wow, just typing that line makes me laugh. If you had told me back in '78 when I was listening to his first solo record, that Paul would personally play me his next solo record before it was released, even at 11 years old I would have thought you were crazy. I also would have been more interested in hearing Gene's next solo release. Not that I did not like Paul, but I was a Gene fanatic and back in '78 I would have probably liked "Asshole" too. Funny how things happen in life, how you change when you grow up and realize that not all things that were important to you as a kid are so important anymore! I still smile at the fire and blood but now 38 years old I need a little more to impress me. Not much more, I just want to know you put a little effort into the project, a little substance beneath the smoke and mirrors. You do that and I'll cut you some slack.

Twenty seconds into the first track of Paul's new CD and it was obvious that no slack cutting was needed here. Paul put a lot of effort into this one. A whole lot of effort, a whole lot of heart & soul and a whole lot of pride! I was listening to an unmastered CD on an ok stereo system and it rocked! The sound hits you instantly! This is a top notch recording sonically but not too polished or over produced. All the musicians are on top of their game. The first two tracks caught me off guard. Dare I say, a modern Paul Stanley sound. I don't know how else to describe it.

The first track in particular reminds me of a movie sound track song with a big powerful chorus that just makes you want to get up and save the world. Mid way through the CD it's obvious that Paul came to play, that he took this project very seriously. A few songs do remind me of his '78 release and there are a couple in the "Forever" vein with a beautiful lush sound. Vocally, Paul sounds more like his early days to me. From beginning to end, I kept waiting for a filler track that never appeared.

When the CD finished I congratulated Paul on a great effort. An effort, which yes, impressed me! This had nothing to do with the fact that the legend was standing maybe a foot away from me the entire time I listened intently to the CD and everything to do with the fact that Paul Stanley was focused and intent on delivering a product that he was proud of. Imagine that, don't worry about the money, don't worry about the critics, just be true to yourself! What a concept!
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

I have the track listing and album title, taken from stanleyeisen.cum:

Out of the Closet

Track 1: In The Navy
    2: Marmalade Butt Jam On The Side
    3: Tom Cruise Was Right...Marrying A Girl DOES Give A Person
    Heterosexual Credibility
    4: My Wife, My Beard
    5: Where's Ace When You Need Him?
    6: Hope This Album Turns Out Better Than PsychoCircus
    7: NAMBLA Blues
    8: Marking Time Until The NEXT Kiss 'Farewell' Tour
    9: It's Raining Men (2005)
    10: Vasoline and Buttplug Machines
    11: Mi Colito Es Muy Pica Pica
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

LMFAO!!!!

Comment

• Mr Badguy
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
        I have the track listing and album title, taken from stanleyeisen.cum:

Out of the Closet

Track 1: In The Navy
        2: Marmalade Butt Jam On The Side
        3: Tom Cruise Was Right...Marrying A Girl DOES Give A Person
        Heterosexual Credibility
        4: My Wife, My Beard
        5: Where's Ace When You Need Him?
        6: Hope This Album Turns Out Better Than PsychoCircus
        7: NAMBLA Blues
        8: Marking Time Until The NEXT Kiss 'Farewell' Tour
        9: It's Raining Men (2005)
        10: Vasoline and Buttplug Machines
        11: Mi Colito Es Muy Pica Pica
        That`s a five star post, dude.

sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Mr Badguy
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I think his `78 solo album sucks ass.

I know some Kiss fans cream over it but i don`t really like it.

It`s like a prototype 80`s Kiss, only worse.

Some of the rockier tunes are alright but "Hold me, touch me", "Take me away (together as one)" and "Ain`t quite right" are horrible.

Easily the worst of the four solos, Ace`s is a hard rock classic and Gene and Peter`s show them stretching out.

If only Paul could have written a song as good as "That`s the kind of sugar Papa likes".
          sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• ashstralia
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Feb 2004

'the elder' ROCKSSzzSS!!!!!

'i'm just a boy....'

Comment

• DLR_EngineRoom
              Veteran
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
              Wednesday, December 21st 2005 Keith Leroux
              By: Keith Leroux

Haters, Haters, Haters.

Same people that think Paul is gay are the same people who also have doubts about Dave's innuendo.

Ah...the jokes of jealousy...

If ya can't compete, lie and cheat....

Ace & Peter may be my fave hired help for KISS, but they're the worst for appreciation. And yes, it showed on both Ace and Peter's solo albums - with or without the KISS name.

Kudos to Paul. Make like Roth and F*** the sheep.
              http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
              http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
              http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• Diver Down NJ
                Head Fluffer
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Mr Badguy
                I think his `78 solo album sucks ass.

I know some Kiss fans cream over it but i don`t really like it.

It`s like a prototype 80`s Kiss, only worse.

Some of the rockier tunes are alright but "Hold me, touch me", "Take me away (together as one)" and "Ain`t quite right" are horrible.

Easily the worst of the four solos, Ace`s is a hard rock classic and Gene and Peter`s show them stretching out.

If only Paul could have written a song as good as "That`s the kind of sugar Papa likes".
                Wow, I think you're the first person besides me to give props to Peter's solo disc.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                  Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

The solo albums are in this order-

Ace- clearly the best one. Rocks with great guitar work.
                  Paul- At least there are some rock tunes, and pretty catchy numbers.
                  Gene- Any album with a cover of "When you wish Upon a Star" has problems.
                  Peter- Just awful. Boring soft rock ballads with a few pseudo-rock songs.
                  Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• hain23x
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Mar 2004

you forgot "King of Brokeback Mountain" which is the followup to his Asylum hit of a similar name
                    Eat Us and Smile!
                    Alright!!! Lemme' se yo hands!!

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

For me, Ace's 1978 solo album WAS one of the best KISS albums.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
                        Haters, Haters, Haters.

Same people that think Paul is gay are the same people who also have doubts about Dave's innuendo.

Ah...the jokes of jealousy...

If ya can't compete, lie and cheat....

Ace & Peter may be my fave hired help for KISS, but they're the worst for appreciation. And yes, it showed on both Ace and Peter's solo albums - with or without the KISS name.

Kudos to Paul. Make like Roth and F*** the sheep.
                        Nah, I don't think Paul is gay...just extremely swishy.

Ace and Peter were hired help for KISS? I see. Not that I think Ace and Peter WERE Kiss, but without all four of them in the beginning, Gene wouldn't be ABLE to run around today bragging about how much money he's made and women he laid. Think you need to go back and listen to Ace's 1978 solo album again, then stack that against virtually ANY Kiss album post 1978 (including Dynasty and Creatures), THEN come back and tell me how Gene and Paul ran the show...not so much.

Let's not forget that KISS were deader than dogshit by the time the 1996 reunion came around. Paul and Gene may be the co-frontmen of the band, but without the chemistry of ALL four classic members, wouldn't piss on KISS if they were on fire.

Happy Holidays.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
                          Hired help, my ass.

Listen to "Alive!" and tell me that Ace Frehley was a sideman.

Shit, he owns that album.

It`s a masterclass in lead guitar.

Yes, he keeps it simple but he says more in one bent note than Bruce Kulick ever could with a million hammer on taps.
                          sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Diver Down NJ
                            Wow, I think you're the first person besides me to give props to Peter's solo disc.
                            I think it`s a good album.

Peter`s got the best voice in Kiss and he was astute enough to write the kind of songs that would maximise the potential of it.

Most people who critisize it either can`t handle the fact that it doesn`t sound like Kiss or just haven`t listened to it.

Also, like Ashtrailia says, "The Elder" rocks although it suffers from the same problems.
                            sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I think Paul`s new album will disappaer much in the same way as Gene`s.

Maybe worse, actually, as at least Gene has some noteriety with his TV shows, magazines, outspoken stupidity etc.

Who cares about a Paul Stanley solo album these days?

If it`s as unimaginative as "Psycho circus" then I think it`s time for Paul to retire.
                              sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

Working...