PDA

View Full Version : Paul's Solo Album

DrMaddVibe
12-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Wednesday, December 21st 2005 Keith Leroux
By: Keith Leroux

Last Tuesday I received one of the best KISSmas gifts ever! Paul Stanley himself played me his new CD! Wow, just typing that line makes me laugh. If you had told me back in '78 when I was listening to his first solo record, that Paul would personally play me his next solo record before it was released, even at 11 years old I would have thought you were crazy. I also would have been more interested in hearing Gene's next solo release. Not that I did not like Paul, but I was a Gene fanatic and back in '78 I would have probably liked "Asshole" too. Funny how things happen in life, how you change when you grow up and realize that not all things that were important to you as a kid are so important anymore! I still smile at the fire and blood but now 38 years old I need a little more to impress me. Not much more, I just want to know you put a little effort into the project, a little substance beneath the smoke and mirrors. You do that and I'll cut you some slack.

Twenty seconds into the first track of Paul's new CD and it was obvious that no slack cutting was needed here. Paul put a lot of effort into this one. A whole lot of effort, a whole lot of heart & soul and a whole lot of pride! I was listening to an unmastered CD on an ok stereo system and it rocked! The sound hits you instantly! This is a top notch recording sonically but not too polished or over produced. All the musicians are on top of their game. The first two tracks caught me off guard. Dare I say, a modern Paul Stanley sound. I don't know how else to describe it.

The first track in particular reminds me of a movie sound track song with a big powerful chorus that just makes you want to get up and save the world. Mid way through the CD it's obvious that Paul came to play, that he took this project very seriously. A few songs do remind me of his '78 release and there are a couple in the "Forever" vein with a beautiful lush sound. Vocally, Paul sounds more like his early days to me. From beginning to end, I kept waiting for a filler track that never appeared.

When the CD finished I congratulated Paul on a great effort. An effort, which yes, impressed me! This had nothing to do with the fact that the legend was standing maybe a foot away from me the entire time I listened intently to the CD and everything to do with the fact that Paul Stanley was focused and intent on delivering a product that he was proud of. Imagine that, don't worry about the money, don't worry about the critics, just be true to yourself! What a concept!

Terry
12-22-2005, 10:33 PM
I have the track listing and album title, taken from stanleyeisen.cum:

Out of the Closet

Track 1: In The Navy
2: Marmalade Butt Jam On The Side
3: Tom Cruise Was Right...Marrying A Girl DOES Give A Person
Heterosexual Credibility
4: My Wife, My Beard
5: Where's Ace When You Need Him?
6: Hope This Album Turns Out Better Than PsychoCircus
7: NAMBLA Blues
8: Marking Time Until The NEXT Kiss 'Farewell' Tour
9: It's Raining Men (2005)
10: Vasoline and Buttplug Machines
11: Mi Colito Es Muy Pica Pica

Hardrock69
12-23-2005, 12:24 AM
LMFAO!!!!

Mr Badguy
12-23-2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Terry

Out of the Closet

Heterosexual Credibility

That`s a five star post, dude.

:rofl:

Mr Badguy
12-23-2005, 08:11 AM
I think his `78 solo album sucks ass.

I know some Kiss fans cream over it but i don`t really like it.

It`s like a prototype 80`s Kiss, only worse.

Some of the rockier tunes are alright but "Hold me, touch me", "Take me away (together as one)" and "Ain`t quite right" are horrible.

Easily the worst of the four solos, Ace`s is a hard rock classic and Gene and Peter`s show them stretching out.

If only Paul could have written a song as good as "That`s the kind of sugar Papa likes".

ashstralia
12-23-2005, 08:24 AM
'the elder' ROCKSSzzSS!!!!!

'i'm just a boy....'

DLR_EngineRoom
12-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Wednesday, December 21st 2005 Keith Leroux
By: Keith Leroux

Haters, Haters, Haters.

Same people that think Paul is gay are the same people who also have doubts about Dave's innuendo.

Ah...the jokes of jealousy...

If ya can't compete, lie and cheat....

Ace & Peter may be my fave hired help for KISS, but they're the worst for appreciation. And yes, it showed on both Ace and Peter's solo albums - with or without the KISS name.

Kudos to Paul. Make like Roth and F*** the sheep.

Diver Down NJ
12-23-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
I think his `78 solo album sucks ass.

I know some Kiss fans cream over it but i don`t really like it.

It`s like a prototype 80`s Kiss, only worse.

Some of the rockier tunes are alright but "Hold me, touch me", "Take me away (together as one)" and "Ain`t quite right" are horrible.

Easily the worst of the four solos, Ace`s is a hard rock classic and Gene and Peter`s show them stretching out.

If only Paul could have written a song as good as "That`s the kind of sugar Papa likes".

Wow, I think you're the first person besides me to give props to Peter's solo disc.

Mr. Vengeance
12-23-2005, 10:34 AM
The solo albums are in this order-

Ace- clearly the best one. Rocks with great guitar work.
Paul- At least there are some rock tunes, and pretty catchy numbers.
Gene- Any album with a cover of "When you wish Upon a Star" has problems.
Peter- Just awful. Boring soft rock ballads with a few pseudo-rock songs.

hain23x
12-23-2005, 10:45 AM
you forgot "King of Brokeback Mountain" which is the followup to his Asylum hit of a similar name

Terry
12-23-2005, 12:11 PM
For me, Ace's 1978 solo album WAS one of the best KISS albums.

Terry
12-23-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
Haters, Haters, Haters.

Same people that think Paul is gay are the same people who also have doubts about Dave's innuendo.

Ah...the jokes of jealousy...

If ya can't compete, lie and cheat....

Ace & Peter may be my fave hired help for KISS, but they're the worst for appreciation. And yes, it showed on both Ace and Peter's solo albums - with or without the KISS name.

Kudos to Paul. Make like Roth and F*** the sheep.

Nah, I don't think Paul is gay...just extremely swishy.

Ace and Peter were hired help for KISS? I see. Not that I think Ace and Peter WERE Kiss, but without all four of them in the beginning, Gene wouldn't be ABLE to run around today bragging about how much money he's made and women he laid. Think you need to go back and listen to Ace's 1978 solo album again, then stack that against virtually ANY Kiss album post 1978 (including Dynasty and Creatures), THEN come back and tell me how Gene and Paul ran the show...not so much.

Let's not forget that KISS were deader than dogshit by the time the 1996 reunion came around. Paul and Gene may be the co-frontmen of the band, but without the chemistry of ALL four classic members, wouldn't piss on KISS if they were on fire.

Happy Holidays.

Mr Badguy
12-23-2005, 03:07 PM

Hired help, my ass.

Listen to "Alive!" and tell me that Ace Frehley was a sideman.

Shit, he owns that album.

It`s a masterclass in lead guitar.

Yes, he keeps it simple but he says more in one bent note than Bruce Kulick ever could with a million hammer on taps.

Mr Badguy
12-23-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Diver Down NJ
Wow, I think you're the first person besides me to give props to Peter's solo disc.

I think it`s a good album.

Peter`s got the best voice in Kiss and he was astute enough to write the kind of songs that would maximise the potential of it.

Most people who critisize it either can`t handle the fact that it doesn`t sound like Kiss or just haven`t listened to it.

Also, like Ashtrailia says, "The Elder" rocks although it suffers from the same problems.

Mr Badguy
12-23-2005, 03:16 PM
I think Paul`s new album will disappaer much in the same way as Gene`s.

Maybe worse, actually, as at least Gene has some noteriety with his TV shows, magazines, outspoken stupidity etc.

Who cares about a Paul Stanley solo album these days?

If it`s as unimaginative as "Psycho circus" then I think it`s time for Paul to retire.

Diver Down NJ
12-27-2005, 10:02 AM
Well he may just retire anyway. I mean, who the hell buys new Kiss-related music anyway?

jero
12-27-2005, 10:07 AM

Out of the Closet

Heterosexual Credibility

8: Marking Time Until The NEXT Kiss 'Farewell' Tour:rofl:

DLR_EngineRoom
12-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Nah, I don't think Paul is gay...just extremely swishy.

Ace and Peter were hired help for KISS? I see. Not that I think Ace and Peter WERE Kiss, but without all four of them in the beginning, Gene wouldn't be ABLE to run around today bragging about how much money he's made and women he laid. Think you need to go back and listen to Ace's 1978 solo album again, then stack that against virtually ANY Kiss album post 1978 (including Dynasty and Creatures), THEN come back and tell me how Gene and Paul ran the show...not so much.

Let's not forget that KISS were deader than dogshit by the time the 1996 reunion came around. Paul and Gene may be the co-frontmen of the band, but without the chemistry of ALL four classic members, wouldn't piss on KISS if they were on fire.

Happy Holidays.

Hey, thanx Terry....Happy Holidays to you too.

As usual, I respect your opinion, though it may vary from mine.

I've always said that, like CVH, Gene and Paul should've changed the band name to something like 'Stanley/Simmons', because KISS will always only be the original 4. However, history facts written in stone tell us that Gene and Paul were the originators of KISS. They got together first, they put out ads looking for guitarist and drummer. So love it or hate it, it's a fact.

As far as Ace's album goes, let's dissect it to show where and why I differ from your opinion...

Lyrics - Unless you enjoy shallow and 'let's-see-how-we-can-make-this word-rhyme' lyrics, let's be honest here. Ace ain't no lyricist. With the exception of a few songs (like 'Cold Gin' for example), his lyrics were the least bit interesting, during and/or after his employment with KISS.

Music - 100%. I love Ace's guitar solos. I love Ace's style. Unfortunately, he just ain't what he used to be in this dept., and that is truly sad, considering that this is the dept. he excelled in.

Attitude - Please. Don't waste my time. Racism and bi-curiousness was never a plus, in my book anyway. But Ace would have a field day with his racist views on this site, since no one seems to give a shit.

Ace's solo album was amazing, IF it was an all-instrumental album.

But no, add 3 parts shitty lyrics and that is why the album didn't total very well in the finals. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Hired help, my ass.

Listen to "Alive!" and tell me that Ace Frehley was a sideman.

Shit, he owns that album.

It`s a masterclass in lead guitar.

Yes, he keeps it simple but he says more in one bent note than Bruce Kulick ever could with a million hammer on taps.

I agree. (see Terrry's reply for details)

Mr. Vengeance
12-28-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Diver Down NJ
Well he may just retire anyway. I mean, who the hell buys new Kiss-related music anyway?

I do. As a member of the army since they began, even bad KISS is better than most of the other crap out there today.

Diver Down NJ
12-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
I do. As a member of the army since they began, even bad KISS is better than most of the other crap out there today.

You want my copy of Psycho Circus? :D

DrMaddVibe
12-31-2005, 06:39 PM
PAUL: "I'm not about selling sizzle. My album's about delivering a steak. It won't matter who's involved or what color the cover is. That's what it's not about" (PressOfAtlanticCity.com).

PAUL: "From the songs to the playing and singing, everything about this album is consistent without compromise. The album is exactly who I am now and what I want to be doing. It's got all the sides of what I do, so it's not surprising that it's got elements of everything I've done plus a leap into the 21st century. I don't need to hype it. I'll leave that to everyone else who's heard it" (KISS Online)

Release Information:
Producer - Unknown (but does Paul really need one?)
Recording Studio(s) - Unknown
Album Title - Unknown
Release Date(s) - No date(s) currently known (Paul's still working on the album!)
Release label/imprint - Unknown
Single(s) Details - Unknown whether album will be supported with single releases.
Album Chart Positions - N/A

SONGS MENTIONED:
* Note: Not all songs mentioned may make the final release...

"Wake Up Screaming"
"Second To None"
"Live To Win"

There is no cover art available at this time. -That should be mayhem in itself when it does become available.

Players mentioned so far:
Victor Indrizzo - Drums; Victor's played with a ton of people. Some of his credits include Macy Gray, Jimmy Gnecco, Brian May, Five For Fighting, Aimee Mann, Avril Lavigne, Hillary Duff, The Vines, Scott Weiland, and Sheryl Crow.

Corky James - Guitars; Corky has played with numerous artists, including: Anastacia, Avril Lavigne, Hillary Duff, John Hiatt, Paris Hilton, and Vanessa Carlton.

Bruce Kulick - Bass; Bruce needs no introduction. Bruce has also played bass on numerous KISS recordings, such as "Nothing Can Keep Me From You," "Forever," "Hell Or High Water," "Tough Love," "Every Time I Look At You," and seven of the songs on "Carnival Of Souls". Apparently, Bruce has also been asked to play some guitar on the album. It's currently not known whether other bass players are used on Paul's album, but seems likely.

Russ Irwin - Keyboards; Russ Irwin started out as a drummer and progressed to piano and guitar, eventually releasing a self-titled solo album on EMI/SBK records in 1991. The solo album would feature a top 40 single, "My Heart Belongs to You." He played keyboards and sang backing vocals on Aerosmith's "Nine Lives," "Just Push Play," "Oh Yeah!," "Roximus Maximus," and "How's it Honkin' on Bobo"
Tours. He's also toured with Sting and was once a member of the band 'Mayfield' with former Tears for Fears member Curt Smith and played on their one album.

Tommy Denander - Guitars; Tommy played guitar on two tracks with Paul in early 2005. Like Andreas Carlsson, Tommy is a long-time KISS fan.

Co-writers mentioned so far:
Desmond Child - It was once suggested, and I paraphrase, "lock the doors to the studio and shoot anyone who looks like Desmond Child." Desmond, apart from being one of the most successful and prolific song-writers (a Barry Mann of the 80's) played a key role in KISS' song-writing during the 1980's. After becoming acquainted with Paul Stanley during Paul's recording of his first solo album in 1978 (members of Desmond's band "Rouge" appear on Paul's 1978 album), Paul and Desmond would forge a strong song-writing partnership. There's a whole stack of material written by Paul and Desmond that little is known about, including whether any of the songs are current, or were written in the 1980s. Additionally, the songs may well have been written for other artists, or simply offered for publishing and recording by other artists. Some of these include: "Dead End Girl (EMI #38029), "Do Or Die" (EMI #36407), "Face To Face" (EMI #36408), "Hold On" (EMI #37686), and "Trust" (EMI #38131). There's also "Made For Love" (BMI #7100243) written by Paul, Desmond, and Vini Poncia... Paul doesn't generally recycle, like Gene does, so if these song-titles are old materail, then it's doubtful they'd be on a 2005 album.

Andreas Carlsson - Andreas is better known for his "Boy" band song-writing contributions. However, his pop/rock sensitivities have also resulted in his working with the likes of Def Leppard. Some known Carlsson/Stanley collaborations include "Impossible" (Warner-Chappell #856444500; ASCAP), "Ready To Rock Your World" (Warner-Chappell #859488800), and "Bloodtype R" (Warner-Chappell #855881400; ASCAP). "Bloodtype R" was recorded by the German band Silbermond as "Mach's Dir Selbst" on their 2004 self-titled album. It's not clear whether the other two songs have been used by other artists or were geared towards any particular project, Paul's or some other artists...

John Lowery - John is also known as "John 5" and is a former guitarist for the David Lee Roth band and Marilyn Manson. According to the KISS Magazine, he submitted an untitled song, that he'd worked on with Bob Kulick and Bruce Bouillet, to Paul for consideration on the album. It's not known whether Paul has used the song.

Terry
12-31-2005, 10:23 PM
Hey, thanx Terry....Happy Holidays to you too.

As usual, I respect your opinion, though it may vary from mine.

I've always said that, like CVH, Gene and Paul should've changed the band name to something like 'Stanley/Simmons', because KISS will always only be the original 4. However, history facts written in stone tell us that Gene and Paul were the originators of KISS. They got together first, they put out ads looking for guitarist and drummer. So love it or hate it, it's a fact.

As far as Ace's album goes, let's dissect it to show where and why I differ from your opinion...

Lyrics - Unless you enjoy shallow and 'let's-see-how-we-can-make-this word-rhyme' lyrics, let's be honest here. Ace ain't no lyricist. With the exception of a few songs (like 'Cold Gin' for example), his lyrics were the least bit interesting, during and/or after his employment with KISS.

Music - 100%. I love Ace's guitar solos. I love Ace's style. Unfortunately, he just ain't what he used to be in this dept., and that is truly sad, considering that this is the dept. he excelled in.

Attitude - Please. Don't waste my time. Racism and bi-curiousness was never a plus, in my book anyway. But Ace would have a field day with his racist views on this site, since no one seems to give a shit.

Ace's solo album was amazing, IF it was an all-instrumental album.

But no, add 3 parts shitty lyrics and that is why the album didn't total very well in the finals. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

I agree. (see Terrry's reply for details)

I can dig that.

Would never contend that Simmons and Stanley WEREN'T the two who started the band, but just have to disagree with anyone who opines that Frehley and Criss were little more than sidemen (not inferring that you're implying that).

And yes, Ace isn't gonna win any poetry awards for his rhyme schemes, but that 1978 solo album of his was fucking SMOKIN'!

I still listen to Gene's 1978 solo album as well, and if nothing else, this thread got me to drag out Peter's 1978 solo album, dust off the cobwebs and give it a spin...not too shabby. Have heard Paul's 1978 solo album a couple of times...didn't care for it.

No denying that a lot of my fave KISS tunes were written by Simmons and Stanley (their sheer output versus Ace and Petes enabled them to just have that much more on the albums to choose from) - but by the time Dynasty and Unmasked rolled around, only Ace's stuff was of any interest.

Once I bother to go out and grab Creatures on CD, I'll have updated all of the KISS stuff that matters to me (Hotter Than Hell up through Unmasked and Creatures - can't be bothered with the first two KISS albums anymore), although really I could just chuck it all and as long as I still had ALIVE, I'd be cool with it. Have to agree that Frehley owns ALIVE.

DLR_EngineRoom
01-01-2006, 01:02 AM
I can dig that.

Would never contend that Simmons and Stanley WEREN'T the two who started the band, but just have to disagree with anyone who opines that Frehley and Criss were little more than sidemen (not inferring that you're implying that).

And yes, Ace isn't gonna win any poetry awards for his rhyme schemes, but that 1978 solo album of his was fucking SMOKIN'!

I still listen to Gene's 1978 solo album as well, and if nothing else, this thread got me to drag out Peter's 1978 solo album, dust off the cobwebs and give it a spin...not too shabby. Have heard Paul's 1978 solo album a couple of times...didn't care for it.

No denying that a lot of my fave KISS tunes were written by Simmons and Stanley (their sheer output versus Ace and Petes enabled them to just have that much more on the albums to choose from) - but by the time Dynasty and Unmasked rolled around, only Ace's stuff was of any interest.

Once I bother to go out and grab Creatures on CD, I'll have updated all of the KISS stuff that matters to me (Hotter Than Hell up through Unmasked and Creatures - can't be bothered with the first two KISS albums anymore), although really I could just chuck it all and as long as I still had ALIVE, I'd be cool with it. Have to agree that Frehley owns ALIVE.

Cool. Great discussion, Ter. Thanx