PDA

View Full Version : Now why does this not surprise me...

Hardrock69
12-23-2005, 12:49 PM
MICHAEL SCHENKER GROUP: U.S. Tour Cancelled - Dec. 21, 2005
Michael Schenker has been forced to cancel his previously announced U.S. tour. The guitarist's official statement on the matter reads as follows:

"I am announcing the cancellation of the MSG USA 'Tales of Rock 'n' Roll' tour since I did not receive the official letters from [former managers] Bella Piper and Linda Schenker which I have requested. Unfortunately, I must sacrifice this USA tour to protect myself to be able to keep playing music. I will not come back to America unless Bella and Linda stop threatening me in unfair ways for the sake of money. From now on, I will concentrate on the release of the new MSG album, 'Tales of Rock 'n' Roll', as I have planned, and establish my life in Germany. I will now prepare for the Europe tour 2006.

"I am so sorry to the fans who were looking forward to seeing my concerts. I hope someday I will see you and play music for you. Please check out my website, I will keep you posted as what happens for people who are interested about this cancellation."

As previously reported, MICHAEL SCHENKER GROUP (MSG) will release "Tales of Rock 'n' Roll", a special CD to celebrate the band's 25-year anniversary, in Europe on April 28, 2006 via Armageddon Music. The CD will feature guest appearances by past MSG singers, including Robin McAuley, Kelly Keeling, Gary Barden, Leif Sundin and Chris Logan. A European tour in support of the album will kick off in early May. Opening on select dates will be VICTORY and NIKKI PUPPET.

LoungeMachine
12-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Threatening me in unfair ways?

pussy.

Diamondjimi
12-23-2005, 02:32 PM
If Schenker's business skills were on par with his playing he'd be a household name like Slash or Eddie Van Halen.........

Hardrock69
12-24-2005, 01:10 PM
No shit.

But mix alcoholism and poor judgement and what do ya get?

ED VAN HALEN!!

Diamondjimi
12-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
No shit.

But mix alcoholism and poor judgement and what do ya get?

ED VAN HALEN!!

LOL ! True........

But at least Schenker has enough respect for his own legacy. Hell he
reunited with UFO for a couple of albums and tours for the fans .(and
for some decent $ I'm sure.)

Also unlike EVH , his chops are still shining !

ThrillsNSpills
12-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Folks the guy's got problems.

He has posted all the dirty laundry on his site.
michaelschenkerhimself.com

I just hope he doesn't get into more legal trouble. (posted emails of his wife and business manager)

I've been looking forward to that album too, now we have to get it as an import?

fuckhowardstern
12-24-2005, 07:12 PM
I feel sorry for the guy - he has problems but I don't think they are nearly as big as he thinks they are. I went to his site (I am not a huge fan but I like what I have heard) based on the post above by Thrills to see what was going on. It seems like there is some question about him missing one child support payment and the mother of his child might be seeking a court order for increased support. It also seems like she has converted some of his property and sold it without his authorization. I just don't see how this problem should stop a US tour....am I missing something?

He wont go to jail for missing one payment - worst case scenario is he would have to go to civil court to explain to the judge that the check was sent overseas and lost in transit. Judge would say....ok.....pay $600.00 or whatever it was....next case.....

Now I understand he must be emotionally torn up about all this shit and its not any fun for the guy having his ex play his kids as pawns against him to squeeze him for more cash, but his lawyer in the States should explain to him, as Pete Townsend would say, "this is no social crisis, its just another tricky day for you, fella....."

Better still - send the bitch a wire transfer for the missing payment and get on with life and making music. WTF?

ThrillsNSpills
12-24-2005, 08:00 PM
I saw Schenker up close at a gig in a bar during his McCauley/Schenker partnership. I'm sure you guys know what it's like to see a monster musician up close wailing on a good night. His tone was perfect and he had a "on" night and the crowd was nuts.. it was just amazing.

But for any of you that miss old school hard rock and may want to check out some of his stuff, here are my recommendations.

He did two albums with Gary Barden, a live album with Gary Barden (One Night at Budokan),
then one with Graham Bonnet (Assault Attack).
Then there was another Gary Barden fronted album (Built to Destroy) . This one was subpar except for the brilliant tune Captain Nemo and another live one with Gary Barden called Rock will Never Die.

The first few albums with Gary Barden are must owns. Both the Michael Schenker Group and MSG are straight up raw melodic hard rock with phenomenal soloing. Assault Attack is a more metal than hard rock disc, and Bonnet's singing works with the Schenker's playing very well. There's an instrumental called Ulcer on it that has one of the best guitar solos you'll ever hear. One Night at Budokan (live) is awesome as well.

The McCauley/Schenker period is more 80's with ballads creeping in(don't you hate when that happens) The hard rock numbers are worth the price of admission though. (especially if you like solos)
In my opinion , the songs overall aren't as consistent. I would recommend the album MSG (on the Impact label; the bastard named 2 of his albums MSG-this one is with McCauley and if you only want to get one from this period, this would be the one)

He reunited with UFO in 1995 for Walk on Water, which you need to own. The tunes are strong and the guitaring is brilliant. Goosebump shit !
He would do 2 more reunion albums with UFO but this one set a standard that the other two didn't reach but they had their moments(Covenant, Sharks)

He made one called Be Aware of Scorpions with a singer Chris Logan, which is another strong disc .

Overall I think this guy's had a better batting average than most that had multiple singers, but it's a matter of choosing ones where the songs are incredible all the way through, in which case the first 4 would do well.

Hardrock69
12-24-2005, 09:33 PM
There are 2 different DVDs out of shows he did in the past 5 years.

Fucking grate.

Back in 1990, when I was living in L.A., I ran into Robin McCauley at FM Station in the Valley. I asked if Mikey was doing any gigs in the L.A. Area any time soon, and he said no.

Not long after that, came the infamous ad in the Recycler, where he was offering guitar lessons for 200 bucks an hour (minimum 1 hour required).

I was fucking furious because at the time I did not have shit. Only 200 bucks and I coulda gotten an actual lesson from the master.

Oh well.

Did not ever get to see him live until 1998. Fucking awesome.

Met him afterwards and got him to sign an 8 X 10 for me.

I am looking at it right now.

I sure hope he gets his shit straightened out.

DavidLeeNatra
12-25-2005, 08:41 AM
that guy is insane...he's got so many "alcodrug"-problems ... keep your shit private for heaven's sake...you got kids... :(

brilliant guitar player anyway...

Diamondjimi
12-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
keep your shit private for heaven's sake...you got kids... :(
brilliant guitar player anyway...

Agreed.

rustoffa
12-25-2005, 08:44 PM
I'm not too familiar with his solo stuff, but his work with UFO is killer. The solo on "I'm A Loser" is one for the ages. The riff in "Natural Thing" should be in the RHOF. "Coast To Coast" on the Scorpions' Lovedrive album........tour de' force. Just fucking beautiful playing....second favorite guitarist behind EVH.

Hardrock69
12-27-2005, 01:07 AM
Damn dude...not too familiar?

If you dug the UFO shit you will love his early 80s stuff...

ThrillsNSpills
12-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

If you dug the UFO shit you will love his early 80s stuff...

True and exactly why I made that post about what to get.
So many people would love it but not many have heard about it.
Lost horizons , Into the Arena, On and On, Ready to Rock, Dancer,
Feels Like a Good Thing, Let Sleeping Dogs Lie. So many good tracks. !!

rustoffa
12-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
True and exactly why I made that post about what to get.
So many people would love it but not many have heard about it.
Lost horizons , Into the Arena, On and On, Ready to Rock, Dancer,
Feels Like a Good Thing, Let Sleeping Dogs Lie. So many good tracks. !!

Say no more! I've heard some of it here and there...just one of those deals.
:)

Take 'Em
12-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Just listened to Armed & Ready and Looking for Love the other day.

Dynamite stuff man.

Between the album and the $1.50 he probably makes on every one of those Dean Guitars sold, maybe he can get things on the right track. I like the news about having past vocalists on the tracks. Too bad Cozy Powell can't bang those drums for him again.

I saw the UFO reunioun show at the Vic theater in Chicago a number of years ago with about 700 people there. 15 feet away from some of my High School Rock heroes. Schenker kicked ass..
Man was that cool.....