• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gcnmarcus
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Apr 2004

Van Halen Reunion / New Member

Hello,

I just found this site while looking up David's site. Since it is just a black page I thought maybe there was another site. So here I am.

I would like to voice my opinion about the reunion. David has larger independent flare than Hagar does. Hagar on the other hand can sing and play guitar. So which is best suited for the group? I think Hagar.

Van Halen I think "stunts" Lee's growth as an artist and Hagar hasn't seemed to be able to create a niche outside of mixing drinks which goes beyond Van Halen.

With that said, there are songs I love from both singers and I think it shows the growth of the band as a whole as opposed to 2 independent bands with different singers.

The Roth-Halen band was an original and helped to establish Halen's Rock sound, but to keep Halen rolling along you need Hagar. Otherwise, it just falls apart.
  • tjvhou812
    Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

i disagree van halen would be huge /hagar or roth
    just the name van halen is an empire
    Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Comment

• gcnmarcus
      Roth Army Recruit
      • Apr 2004

Another thing I forgot to note, I like the Roth/Vai sound better.

A roth reunion in my mind would be hooking up those 2 together again. Vai has never really matched with a better singer than Roth.

And thanks to Roth, he led me down the path to discover Satriani.

Comment

• azcrdnal
        Foot Soldier
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by gcnmarcus
        Another thing I forgot to note, I like the Roth/Vai sound better.

A roth reunion in my mind would be hooking up those 2 together again. Vai has never really matched with a better singer than Roth.

And thanks to Roth, he led me down the path to discover Satriani.
        only problem is it's 2004 not 1986 that sound is out .

Comment

• pardo

Van Halen I think "stunts" Lee's growth as an artist and Hagar hasn't seemed to be able to create a niche outside of mixing drinks which goes beyond Van Halen.
          I whole heartedly disagree. Van Halen stretched out to various styles with tunes like Big Bad Bill, Women In Love, Could This Be Magic?, Secrets. Hell, they even did an acapella version of Happy Trails.
          All of which is 100% distilled DLR.

I think Edwards music pushed Dave as a singer. Just like Daves presence in the band pushed Edward to play some incredible guitar.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by pardo
            I whole heartedly disagree. Van Halen stretched out to various styles with tunes like Big Bad Bill, Women In Love, Could This Be Magic?, Secrets. Hell, they even did an acapella version of Happy Trails.
            All of which is 100% distilled DLR.

I think Edwards music pushed Dave as a singer. Just like Daves presence in the band pushed Edward to play some incredible guitar.
            Couldn't have said it better myself. Van HALEN was able to go all over the map musically while maintaining a solid ROCK foundation. How many other hard rock bands can make that claim? Queen's the only one I can think of at the moment.

Van Hagar had 2 speeds and only 2 speeds: Cheese ballad and mid tempo pop rock. That's all. Musical growth and diversity??? Not even you Eddie sheep can really believe that.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• gcnmarcus
              Roth Army Recruit
              • Apr 2004

azcrdnal,

Yea, I don't know if they can work together now if they are musically in different spots.

As for the time difference, I don't think that matters as much. Some new creations come and some old ones fade away. In which case, it wouldn't matter if David did rejoin Van Halen as the same thing could just as easily happen with him and Eddie.

I would like to see more guitar between hagar and eddie which is a big reason why I like the matching. Vai can hold his own weight if he were paired up with Roth, yes, even in 2004. Hopefully, they would be able to create a new "like" sound which would be just as good together as the old 86 sound you refer to.

pardo,

I made sure I didn't say Roth and Eddie didn't work out together, just as I mentioned above though I would like to see hagar and eddie do some group guitar work. Maybe if Roth took some guitar lessons, it would help his chances having a jam session with Eddie. Hagar has and can already do it.

Comment

• pardo

pardo,

I made sure I didn't say Roth and Eddie didn't work out together, just as I mentioned above though I would like to see hagar and eddie do some group guitar work. Maybe if Roth took some guitar lessons, it would help his chances having a jam session with Eddie. Hagar has and can already do it.
                Dude, you seem like a nice level headed guy, so I'll put this poitely. I find your fondness of Sammy in Van Halen to be quite unflattering.

Seriously though, Ed was like a wild animal in the early Van Halen days. Free to roam about. With Sammie, its like a Cheeta havin to lug a 3 toed sloth around. Unfotunately Eds playing has degenerated to the point where Hagar is in his league now.

Comment

• General Hina
                  Sniper
                  • Feb 2004

Really?? David Coverdale's not a good singer? AND by the way Coverdale can STILL sing.

Over and Out Idiot,
                  General Hina

Comment

• PHOENIX
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2004

General Herpe please be reminded that this is a DLR fan site and that you are a Sammy loving sheep. So go pay homage to Hagar and Coverdale somewhere else.

Comment

• Rubnose

So far I am with Pardo and Ford on this one. (Except I think they both bang their heads privately when a heavy Sam Halen song is played.)

I'll bet they even like the guy but at this point won't admit it. It's a pride issue.

Comment

• madraoul
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Feb 2004

I would like to see more guitar between hagar and eddie which is a big reason why I like the matching.
                        When I watched that Hagarita video (Live Without A Penis), it took me a few minutes to stop laughing at grandpa's hair and outfit. Once I got over that, the troll grabs a guitar! The hilarity began all over again. Better than Caddyshack!

Comment

• pardo

Originally posted by Rubnose
                          So far I am with Pardo and Ford on this one. (Except I think they both bang their heads privately when a heavy Sam Halen song is played.)

I'll bet they even like the guy but at this point won't admit it. It's a pride issue.
                          I just don't like 95% of the music that Van Hagar put out. Its not a matter of pride, its a matter of taste.

Comment

• Dr. Love
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

Hey honky, what's the 5% you do like?
                            I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• pardo

Best of Both Worlds is decent.

And I like the music (music) to Pleasure Dome and Judgement Day.

Thats about it.

Comment

Working...