PDA

View Full Version : The Education of Youth

POJO_Risin
12-29-2005, 12:55 AM
So...I was at the bar earlier this evening...with a couple of pals...shooting pool...

and we get onto the topic of Stern's move...

and ultimately end up on Roth...

At the pool table next to us are a three punks...early 20's...and they catch onto our conversation...and we begin the topic or Roth...

They're take...literally?

"Who is this guy anyways...some 60 year old like Imus..."

So the education commences...

We discuss the early years of Van Halen...which they knew nothing about...barely knew the music...they're old time bands????? Guns and Roses...Van Halen is a non-entity...so we get upto 85...and they are intrigued with this Rock and Roll band...actually...intrigued that Rock and Roll was such a center stage...so I skip to 1996...and I get...

"So, they disappeared after they broke up in 1985..."

I had 2 directions to go in...so...

"Yeah...they broke up in 1985...and resurfaced in 1996...with 2 songs and a greatest hits album..."

I had them going with that until my buddy...a faggot that likes Hagar...says...no...they moved on with Sammy Hagar...

anyways...

I've got my new IPod in my pocket...already loaded with every classic VH tune...and some boots...and let them listen while we're continuing our pool game...

First reaction...

"Hey...I've heard these songs..."

After about an hour of them passing off my IPod when they aren't playing...and one kid stops at a song and says..."Damn...this one is incredible..."

I grab a listen...and he's listening to Unchained...

We wrap up the night with the kid saying..."Damn, maybe I'll check the Roth show out...I wish I had this disc..."

I ran out to my car...grab Fair Warning...run back in and hand it to the kid with a Merry Christmas...

and hopefully...passed some Roth down to another generation...

Funny that these kids have no fucking idea who this band was...

Thanks spED...for wiping out an entire generation with your fucking idiocy...

Long Live Roth...Long Live Classic VH...

On a side note...I asked the 3 what they listened to, and the only band worth mention was Led Zeppelin...that they hear every so often on the radio...I mentioned Robert Plant, and they had no idea...

but they were regular listeners of the Foo Fighters, Godsmack and...ugh...Silverb...er...Nickelback...

My god...how Rock has fallen...

Sarge's Little Helper
12-29-2005, 12:55 AM
POJO_Risin rules the world...

THAT is all

Unchainme
12-29-2005, 01:15 AM
POJO IS GOD

Flash Bastard
Fantastic fucking job, passing on the legacy of CVH to the young and uninformed. I hope the lesson sticks.

Not too long ago I'd carry some CDR's of CVH hits to pass along to the masses, much as you did. I'd hand them out to Tool fans, NiN and Slayer fans and I'd run into them weeks later and they would thank me for turning them on to good music. About 9 out of 10 of them would tell me they went out and bought some CVH CDs.

Radio has failed us. Word of mouth is paying off in dividends though.

Unchainme
POJO IS GOD

That kicks ass sir, Nothing like spreading the word of Roth.

Flash Bastard
12-29-2005, 01:21 AM
Alan the Panther is God.... but Pojo rocks in his own way. :)

POJO_Risin
12-29-2005, 01:23 AM
I actually gave him my own copy of Fair Warning...got another one around here somewhere...

It's funny how many VH originals I have laying around here...

TLR
12-29-2005, 01:26 AM
Who is this POJOker that everyone is talking about? Oh, wait...isn't he some poor, misguided Tribe fanatic (should be spelled Phanatic)... :-)

DlocRoth
12-29-2005, 03:00 AM
Nicely done, sir....

But you're still not a God....

No offense.... roflmao...

jero
12-29-2005, 03:50 AM
You've learned them the best lesson in life!

jero
12-29-2005, 03:51 AM
And that deserves 5 stars!!

MAX
12-29-2005, 04:02 AM
I work with several people in their twenties. Anyway, they always try to stump me on music, pre-90's of course. lol Anyway, it's a well known fact what a DLR fan I am. Fuckin' little dipshits come in my office and ask who sang what when they hear a certain song on the classic rock radio. Almost bitchslapped a dude across the hall when he ran in after lunch (asskissing) and told me how stellar Dave sounded singing "Right Now It's When Can't This Be Love?"

Fuckin' kids have no clue. Pisses me off cos when I was a child, a fuckin' KID I tells ya, I knew who The Stones, Doors, Who and Beatles were and could name their fucking songs to boot!!!

Do you really wanna know how clueless these kids (only a decade or so younger than us) truly are? Try arguing with them that The Fucking Beatles didn't sing nor write "Everybody Want's To Rule The World." True fucking story and I shit you not.

Coyote
12-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Radio sucks out here, they only play "Jump" once in a blue moon...

But luckily, only a wafer thin marginal knows about (Van) Hagar.

Coyote
12-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
So...I was at the bar earlier this evening...with a couple of pals...shooting pool...

At the pool table next to us are a three punks...early 20's...and they catch onto our conversation...and we begin the topic or Roth...

We discuss the early years of Van Halen...which they knew nothing about...barely knew the music...they're old time bands????? Guns and Roses...Van Halen is a non-entity...so we get upto 85...and they are intrigued with this Rock and Roll band...actually...intrigued that Rock and Roll was such a center stage...so I skip to 1996...and I get...

"Yeah...they broke up in 1985...and resurfaced in 1996...with 2 songs and a greatest hits album..."

I had them going with that until my buddy...a faggot that likes Hagar...says...no...they moved on with Sammy Hagar...

anyways...

I've got my new IPod in my pocket...already loaded with every classic VH tune...and some boots...and let them listen while we're continuing our pool game...

First reaction...

After about an hour of them passing off my IPod when they aren't playing...and one kid stops at a song and says..."Damn...this one is incredible..."

We wrap up the night with the kid saying..."Damn, maybe I'll check the Roth show out...I wish I had this disc..."

I ran out to my car...grab Fair Warning...run back in and hand it to the kid with a Merry Christmas...

On a side note...I asked the 3 what they listened to, and the only band worth mention was Led Zeppelin...that they hear every so often on the radio...I mentioned Robert Plant, and they had no idea...

but they were regular listeners of the Foo Fighters, Godsmack and...ugh...Silverb...er...Nickelback...

Go POJO!

DLR_EngineRoom
12-29-2005, 10:49 AM

anyways...

First reaction...

Great thread, great post.

NATEDOG001976
12-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Good work man. Shit, I knew what good music was. The Youth is in trouble.

jero
12-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by NATEDOG001976
Good work man. Shit, I knew what good music was. The Youth is in trouble.

My daughter (11) asked me yesterday if I could upload a 50cent song on her MP3player! She's grounded till february, and has to listen at least 3 hours a day to the Diamond One. One day she thanks me for this

bastardog
12-29-2005, 11:10 AM
Great post.......5 stars

Vinnie Velvet
12-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Excellent, POJ'.

Keep educating our troubled youth of today on what ROCK really was.

CLASSIC VH Style!

DLR_EngineRoom
12-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by jero
My daughter (11) asked me yesterday if I could upload a 50cent song on her MP3player! She's grounded till february, and has to listen at least 3 hours a day to the Diamond One. One day she thanks me for this

All kidding aside, Jero...you're doing her a favour. You don't want her to get into 'Fiddy'. Lyrics influence people, especially kids - whether it's subconsciously or consciously - lyrics influence.

Roth will keep her pappy happy...

jhale667
12-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Every child should have to watch the 'Unchained' video at least once..."This is what rock SHOULD be, junior...." :D

jhale667
12-29-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
All kidding aside, Jero...you're doing her a favour. You don't want her to get into 'Fiddy'. Lyrics influence people, especially kids - whether it's subconsciously or consciously - lyrics influence.

Roth will keep her pappy happy...

I agree with the grounding...but who can understand a fucking WORD 'Fiddy' says? Dude raps like Mushmouth from the Cosby kids....:rolleyes:

bastardog
12-29-2005, 01:44 PM
A ella le gusta la gasolina...

jhale667
12-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by bastardog
A ella le gusta la gasolina...

Yo no comprendo...habla ingles, por favor;)

generalroth
12-29-2005, 02:02 PM
The Lizard King ....you can do anything...now do the same thing to Alex.Eddie,and Mike.

DLR_EngineRoom
12-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
I agree with the grounding...but who can understand a fucking WORD 'Fiddy' says? Dude raps like Mushmouth from the Cosby kids....:rolleyes:

lol yeah, guess that's what being shot 9 times does to a human being...

Beastie Boys
Run DMC
Kid Rock
Limp Bizkit
Young MC
Fat Boys
Will Smith

...if you gonna rap....now THAT's the way to rap...

bastardog
12-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Yo no comprendo...habla ingles, por favor;)

There is a guy named Daddy Yankee that is selling a lot of albums in USA with a hit named "Gasolina". He is from Puerto Rico but is singing a kind of mix with hip-hop and rap called "reggaeton".
" a ella le gusta la gasolina" is part of the chorus and I was thinking that some of you had heard the song on any place.

I had saw his video a lot on MTV (not the latino one) and in every place that I see a dance on USA I hear the song......so was thinking some of you will say "stop that shit" or will makes fun of the song

jhale667
12-29-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
lol yeah, guess that's what being shot 9 times does to a human being...

Beastie Boys
Run DMC
Kid Rock
Limp Bizkit
Young MC
Fat Boys
Will Smith

...if you gonna rap....now THAT's the way to rap...

...I'd add Ice Cube and Busta Rhymes to that list before Kid Rock or Limp Biznatch...."Predator" and "Lethal Injection" are both great...and Busta's just funny...this from a guy who's not a huge rap fan (in most cases it's like, where's the F*ing guitar?!?) by any stretch of the imagination...:rolleyes:

bastardog
12-29-2005, 05:10 PM
...I'd add Ice Cube and Busta Rhymes to that list before Kid Rock or Limp Biznatch...."Predator" and "Lethal Injection" are both great...and Busta's just funny...this from a guy who's not a huge rap fan (in most cases it's like, where's the F*ing guitar?!?) by any stretch of the imagination...:rolleyes:

Add to that list Daddy Yankee......just to have a puertorrican in the list to makes me feel in home

bryguy2524
12-29-2005, 10:40 PM
Great Story!

Today's youth needs to "WAKE UP" and stop being mindless, Riders on the Storm.

diamondsgirl
12-30-2005, 12:41 AM
one kid stops at a song and says..."Damn...this one is incredible..."

that's awesome!

I have goosebumps. :D

bantonelli
12-30-2005, 02:43 AM
POJO...You're saying it and we're feeling it. I absolutely 200% agree with you once again and have also tried to speak about how CVH and ROTH have kicked our tushes for all these years. I have noticed that Roth already has a new generation of die-hards.

I went to an Atomic Punks concert recently at the Whiskey-a-Go-Go, an old VH haunt in the beginning of their legend....some kids there were no more than 15 yrs. old.....with braces...in fact, I had to laugh, the kids had VH shirts on....Classic and Diamond Dave Shirts, no less and they looked like Michael Anthony Hall from Sixteen Candles!!! Their Dads turned them on to ROTH & the CVH Catalog.

Thank you for saying it they way we're thinking it....ROTH IS the only one keeping CVH music alive....to think that ED & AL arewilling to let it all die is BEYOND CRIMINAL.

Nickdfresh
01-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by TLR
Who is this POJOker that everyone is talking about? Oh, wait...isn't he some poor, misguided Tribe fanatic (should be spelled Phanatic)... :-)

You didn't have to read it, did you douche bag?:)

TLR=Whiny bitch with self-esteem 'issues' apparently.;)

Terry
01-14-2006, 01:48 PM
I'll tell ya, I listen to what's being put out there under the banner of rock these days, and...where the fuck is the classic music of tomorrow coming from? I'm just not hearing it.

When I was growing up, I was able to listen to what was going on at the moment AND buy stuff that came out before, and had a wealth of great music to listen to...what the fuck is a kid gonna listen to these days that's gonna resonate with him ten, twenty years from now? I mean, is anyone gonna care about 'Fiddy' a year from now when his 15 minutes are up? Just too much utterly disposable pap being put out there these days. Comes from a churn and burn mentality from these record companies treating music as a disposable commodity. Got no problem with a major label trying to make some money of the music, but the music itself should be the primary focus of the whole thing, not some secondary concern in a drive to package this week's model and their face on a cd, video game, IPod commercial and fast food ad.

Good on ya', Poj, for bringing a wider frame of reference to those yun'ins. I feel sorry for the little bastards these days. Gotta suck growing up these days with all this pop poop culture around them.

4moreyears
01-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Great story. I took my kids 8,6, and 4 last summer to see Dave play at the Naperville Ribfest. They had no clue who he was but thought he was great. They loved Jump, Dave really put on a great show with thatr number. A few days ago my son was in the car with me and a Jump boot came on as we were getting ready to get out of the car. My 6 year old says dad, I love this song, can we get out after it is over? I have heard it a few thousand times, but sitting with the little man while he got his halen fix was an incredible experience.

DrMaddVibe
01-14-2006, 09:49 PM
Its great sharing real rock n' roll to the kids today.

All they have is rap, latina fat ass girls, emo bands and scream rock.

My son LOVES "Me Wise Magic"!

Nickdfresh
01-14-2006, 09:55 PM
I've actually seen a lot of kids wearing tee-shirts by likes of (mostly) Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Metallica, The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Clash, Sex Pistols, etc...

I think a month ago was like the first time ever that I saw a kid wearing a Van Halen tee, and it was the gay, newer logo. But thank God there was no Hagar image on it...

DrMaddVibe
01-14-2006, 10:37 PM
SMART BREASTS

Nickdfresh
01-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by TLR
Bravo, Nick! You succeeded in making a post without name-callling or references to sexual orientation. You stepped outside your comfort zone. I'm proud of you.

I'm glad you approve. Now I'm waiting for you to actually make a salient point rather than just wasting band-with and repeating yourself with 'nothing' which is what you are all about. Go back to the sports forum boy, that's all you appear to really comprehend.

The main point you are missing here, ole' Nick, is the fact I don't really have a point now...I just am getting a kick out of watching you come running back like a puppy every time I post something.

Here, boy....

No, you are saying nothing, and I'm getting a kick at exposing you for a know-nothing, limited mental-munchkin. I mean, you accuse me of doing something every time that you yourself are doing. I also find it funny that you're just pissed and dislike me because you're too intellectually incompetent, and under-read to support your opinions, to post in the Frontline, because you're just a superficial and shallow sports fan, and have only simpleton views otherwise. That's the 'chase' I 'cut' too. Good job trying to compensate through your pseudo-intellectualism and mindless, "I above-this" repetitive torts (spinning wheels, LOL, "pot-tea kettle" savant).:).

You want the last word to save face, not gonna' work, you took the first swing. I'll take the last. After all, that's why you keep responding, isn't it macho man?

You're just a child having a temper tantrum (they also have no points when they're fragile egos are deflated by their intellectual superiors), spin it how you will, the floor's yours...

Education of "youth" indeed...

But this will be the last post I make to you TLR, so I guess I'll give you the last word, you seem to really need it. ;)

I don't, buh-bye...

Va Beach VH Fan
01-15-2006, 11:36 AM
and one kid stops at a song and says..."Damn...this one is incredible..."

I knew it, as soon as I read that quote, I said to myself, "it's gotta be Unchained"....

I'm assuming you had the studio version Poj....

If you had the Oakland '81 version on there, who knows what may have happened to the young man... :D

Jérôme Frenchise
01-15-2006, 02:55 PM
A damn, damn great story, POJO... You acted like a prince, there. So sad kids can only relay on us vets to let them know about the real stuff, though. We'll end up blaming the industry, that keeps shaping uniform bad tastes (not only in music, but also movies, literature, information, etc). Same old song...

But today's kids aren't all dupes: I've noticed that a non neglectible part of my students keep away from the shit their peers will take like sheep. They may not all know about CVH or Dave, but when I get an occasion, I'll suggest them to lend an ear... The kids' reactions will always be enthusiastic. That said, I would never give up my copy of Fair Warning... :cool:

A few years ago, my younger sister went on a trip to England with her high-school mates on a coach. She had taken her copy of Dave's "The Best" along with her on the coach, and she suggested the driver to play it.
There were about 60 teen passengers aboard, and none of them had ever heard of CVH or DLR - so sad, but true. My lil sister told me that Dave's compilation immediately became the whole coach's favorite. Her mates were crazy about most of the songs, and amazed by Dave's voice. Of course.

That's right, POJO, it only takes an occasion for kids to listen, and magic will do the rest.

AJW
01-15-2006, 10:06 PM

anyways...

First reaction...

That's today's youth in a nutshell. Period.

Nickdfresh
01-17-2006, 10:12 AM
There still are a lot of kids that know real VAN HALEN though..;)

fret_buzz_blues
01-17-2006, 10:43 PM
But still very few! :mad: I see a whole bunch of kids with either Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, or AC/DC shirts...EVERYWHERE. I talked to one of my friends recently and asked her how the school has been since I left it for independent study. Apparently, it looks like every single student has a classic rock T-shirt on. They're like clones...zombies! And the worst thing is...they don't even listen to those bands! Most of them anyways. They see it at the department store, and figure it's a "trendy" thing to wear. It sickens me to the point of insanity.

Anyways, that's a great thing you did, POJO. :D I've tried to pass CVH songs to those who aren't "Enlightened".