X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rustoffa
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Grand Funk Railroad: Closer To Home

Does anyone else think that Grand Funk in general has been kinda "lost in the shuffle?"

You know, fucking classic rock is all the rage and shit....they were THE biggest band in the world at one point, right?

I listened to 'Closer To Home' earlier, what a great record. That's right, I chose the one with the Captain song on it.

Is this their best offering? Opinions vary. Farner's vocals are spot on, yadda-yadda, blah fucking blah.

Was Brewer about ready to beat the shit out of something besides his small kit?

Mean Mistreaterrrrrrr.......

Discuss.:confused:
  • ThrillsNSpills
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

Dude, I am guilty of being a huge fan of that album.

I can't bring myself to get it on CD because lets face the fact that the capitol pressing of that back in the day was fuckin magic, and I don't want to hear it with frequencies missing if you know what I mean.

Sin's a Good Man's Brother and I don't have to sing the Blues. Yow

I love how the bass is WAY up there in the mix....it's perfect for that kind of music.

Is it their best? I don't know, I haven't heard the others which is my loss I guess. Closer to Home is a good one though.

Comment

• Cato
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Brewer's drum kit was not small. it only looked small because he was tall.... just like Ted Nugent makes his Birdland look like an Les Paul.

I have no opinion about closer to home...
      Don't notice most of my posts are less than 2 lines...

Fender Custom Shop Owners Club

Gibson Custom Shop Owners Club

Cato's YouTube Channel

Comment

• rustoffa
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cato
        Brewer's drum kit was not small. it only looked small because he was tall....
        Poor choice of words on my part. Just meant he didn't have menageries of roto toms' and shit.

Comment

• Hardrock69
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2005

I have been a fan of Grand Funk since they first came on the scene. I was a teenager when Closer To Home and all their other songs were hits on the radio.

Their cover version of The Locomotion was a smash hit, and I thought it totally kicked ass! Brewer's drum sound was more than enough to make ya wanna get up and move your ass!!!
          Last edited by Hardrock69; 12-31-2005, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2004

GFR are one of my all time favourites. "Lost in the shuffle" is a perfect way of putting it. Sadly one of rock's most overlooked bands of yesterday. I remember hearing them on the radio back in the 70's.
            Still have all their stuff on vinyl. I was fortunate to meet Mark Farner
            and shoot the shit with him for a half hour in 2002 when he was touring with"A walk down Abbey Road"-A Tribute to The Beatles.

If you're lookin for a GFR album that'll kick your ass all day ,I recommend checking out "Grand Funk Caught in the Act" '74".
            Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Cato
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

the shows on caught in the act were recorded in 1975.

I recommend another live album that was released a few years ago...

and if you wankers want to see them playing on stage, get the video, filmed in somewhere in California in 1974(maybe San Diego). it's absolutely GRATE. and also MSG 1972 as well....
              Don't notice most of my posts are less than 2 lines...

Fender Custom Shop Owners Club

Gibson Custom Shop Owners Club

Cato's YouTube Channel

Comment

• katie
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Nov 2004

Hi

Ya closer to home is a good as it gets.

And yes that record is a killer!

I have most of the remasters here is anybody wants to trade -

Comment