• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

Browns To Fire Savage

Sources: Browns ready to fire GM SavageESPN.com news services

The Cleveland Browns plan to fire senior vice president and general manager Phil Savage, NFL sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Friday.

The split is over "philosophical differences," primarily salary cap management. The announcement could come as early as Friday, Mortensen reported. Savage could not be reached for comment.

Atlanta Falcons chief administration officer Ray Anderson is a candidate to replace Savage, who joined the Browns on Jan. 6.

The Browns, who are 5-10 in coach Romeo Crennel's first season in Cleveland, play Baltimore on Sunday.

Savage spent the past nine seasons with the Baltimore Ravens organization, including 2003-04 as the Ravens' director of player personnel. He is known as one of the NFL's top talent evaluators.

In Baltimore, the 14-year veteran of the league, worked directly with general manager Ozzie Newsome to oversee college and pro scouting. While there, Savage was involved in many of the day-to-day operations of the team and also negotiated contracts of late-round draft picks.

What The Fuck? I thought he did a good job considering our team sucks right now. Pisses Me off.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

Opps Sorry Ford, Meant to post this in The Locker Room can you move it there. Sorry Bro.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

This is not a good move in the least...

but you can't have your Team President, and team Vice President not getting along...

you have to ask if the right guys is leaving though...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Unchainme
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
        This is not a good move in the least...

but you can't have your Team President, and team Vice President not getting along...

you have to ask if the right guys is leaving though...
        Savage is one of the Best Gm's in the league in my opinion. Quite a stupid move byt the browns. I mean the Steelers beat down was pretty low, but I mean this is just fla out stupidity in my opnion.

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

From the good ol' Rumor Mill ...

==================================================

Find all the latest ProFootballTalk news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

POSTED 11:12 a.m. EST, December 30, 2005

SAVAGE, COLLINS ON THE OUTS IN CLEVELAND?

There's growing talk in league circles that Browns G.M. Phil Savage and President/CEO John Collins are not getting along and that, by extension, the bad blood is flowing between Savage and owner Randy Lerner.

Collins, a previous employee of the league office, was hired by Lerner in May 2004. The scuttlebutt in league circles is that Collin was the fall guy for the Janet Jackson Super Bowl boob flap, and that the NFL steered him in the direction of Lerner.

Lerner, who was still new at the time to the whole ownership thing following his father's passing in October 2002, took a liking to Collins and put him at the top of the organization.

After Butch Davis was run out of town in 2004, Lerner and Collins hired Savage away from the Ravens to serve as the new General Manager in January 2005.

Less than a year later, it's apparently not working out. We're hearing that Collins has concerns about Savage's performance -- which makes no sense to us since Collins, a career marketing and advertising foof, has nothing in his background that would allow him to adequately assess whether the G.M. of a football team is doing his job well.

And there's also talk that Collins quietly is in the process of hiring NFL in-house lawyer Mike Keenan to take over the salary cap management duties, which would displace current cap coordinator Trip MacCracken. The potential move is being viewed as a direct encroachment on Savage's turf, and it's prompting some to wonder whether Savage might soon be leaving the team, voluntarily or otherwise.

Stay tuned.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

stupid...fucking idiotic...good...fucking keep the Browns sucking for years to come...
            "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

It's what happens when you get thes non-football people in there evaluating football execs.

bean counters and shit ...
              Last edited by ALinChainz; 12-30-2005, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

and amazing...when you look at the talent that they have accrued since adding their front office...

if you're the owner...you tell them to shut the fuck up and work it out...

Comment

• Unchainme
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Apr 2005

In this whole area the browns are really losing out to the steelers in the fanbase department, I am seeing Roethlisberger jerseys everywhere. Fucking pisses me off, because a lot of them are defintly Bandwagoners in the sense I never saw any steelers jerseys before they made the playoffs.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                    and amazing...when you look at the talent that they have accrued since adding their front office...

if you're the owner...you tell them to shut the fuck up and work it out...
                    Crennell a lot like Lovie Smith ... a lot of similarities ... run games and defense ... the Browns can be headed in the right direction this time ... why let the front office and ownership rock the fucking boat ...

Of course, it's because they are fron office and ownership.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

We'll see what they do now though...

they better make a splash...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

I agree with your assessment of Lovie Smith and Crennel...

I actually see a lot of similarities in Crennell and Belichick...

will they be able to make it through the struggles with Crennell...

like they couldn't with...

well...

Belichick...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Browns | Savage to remain with team
                          Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:34:57 -0800

Scott Petrak reports Cleveland Browns senior vice president and general manager Phil Savage will remain with the team, despite reports that he would be fired. "Although it is our policy not to respond to rumors, in fairness to our fans, we felt it necessary to dispel them," Browns president and chief executive officer John Collins said on ClevelandBrowns.com. "It was unfortunate and very unfair to the organization and especially to our fans, but we are happy to put this behind us and focus on our game this Sunday and the busy offseason ahead."

Win your fantasy football league with The Huddle's award-winning fantasy football cheat sheets, rankings, sleepers and insider tools.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

Damn it...I thought I was going to have a ton of fun shredding the Browns for this fuckup...

funny how teams leak shit to see the reaction...

Comment

Working...