PDA

View Full Version : more press: cleveland

Softknockz
01-02-2006, 09:59 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/113619434637560.xml&coll=2&thispage=2

Softknockz
01-02-2006, 10:03 AM
http://theedge.bostonherald.com/tvNews/view.bg?articleid=119540&format=&page=1

CVH Rulz
01-02-2006, 10:22 AM
David Lee Roth jumps right in: Van Halen icon hopes to rock Stern’s old slot

By Sean L. McCarthy
Monday, January 2, 2006 - Updated: 10:05 AM EST

How do you replace a morning radio icon?

With a rock icon.

Former Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth puts that theory to the test tomorrow morning, filling Howard Stern’s slot on CBS Radio’s East Coast affiliates, including WBCN-FM (104.1).

Roth had two weeks of on-air practice last year, including a stint on sister station WZLX-FM (100.7). But Roth said he didn’t learn anything about radio that he didn’t already know.

“I don’t think you can get ready for a job like this,” he said. “It’s not even a job. You either are like this, or you aren’t. Howard Stern spent the last 20 years basically in a small little room with no windows. I’ve spent the last 30 years off leading a life of crime and international intrigue. At least that’s what I write on my resume.”

At 51, Diamond Dave still has spunk. He doesn’t hesitate to mention his skills as a martial artist and emergency medical technician. And he seems unconcerned about filling Stern’s big shoes.

“I’m a single voice that can combine and single-handedly outrage both the extreme liberal left, of which I’m a card-carrying member, and the NASCAR nation,” he said. “And yes, I am one of the great unwashed, according to Faulkner.”

Many bios of Roth, including the one on his Web page, gloss over his childhood years in Massachusetts. Roth acknowledged that he lived in Swampscott and Brookline for five years during the 1960s, attended synagogue here and had his first onstage experience in Lawrence.

Roth plans to bring his show to Boston from time to time. He said radio needs to break free from the studio and that his 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. show each weekday will have no set rules — one morning could be all music, the next all talk.

But will it work?

Don Kelley, programming vice president for Greater Media’s five Boston stations, said Roth’s inexperience raises questions.

“We had a Philadelphia station that had Dee Snider (of Twisted Sister) doing nights for a while. He’s an interesting interview, but he can’t do talk for four hours a night,” Kelley said.

WBCN general manager Mark Hannon said people shouldn’t be too quick to judge Roth. “People have somewhat typecast him because they know him first and foremost as a musician and a rock star,” he said. “I think people will be curious. And I think they’ll be pleasantly surprised when they hear from him.”

CVH Rulz
01-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Roth takes over Stern's mike on Tuesday

Monday, January 02, 2006
Julie E. Washington
Plain Dealer Reporter

There's no predicting what it will sound like when David Lee Roth jumps on radio Tuesday morning.

Roth takes over the giant microphone left behind by Sirius Satellite Radio's new standard-bearer, Howard Stern. Roth's reign begins with a 6-to-10 a.m. stint, heard locally on WNCX FM/98.5.

Stern's successor is getting a tattered throne -- fewer stations, Federal Communications Commission scrutiny and constant comparisons with the person who used to sit there. Other entertainers, including Jon Stewart and Danny Bonaduce, said no thanks, according to a press report.

But Roth's ego and optimism refuse to allow him to contemplate defeat -- or reveal his plans for the show. It doesn't even have an official name yet.

Calling last week from New York, where the show will originate, the former Van Halen frontman predicted his debut would be "the best day of my life," "a thunderbolt in your Pop-Tarts" and "a good excuse to put bourbon in your coffee."

Roth, 51, emphasized that he intends to make the show his own.

"The only thing I have in common with Howard Stern is Hanukkah," Roth said.

The man who speaks several languages and is an author, world traveler, helicopter pilot student and EMS technician said his preparation for radio goes back to his boyhood days of telling stories around campfires.

"My entire life is very, very different" from other radio hosts, he said. "You simply have to have positioned yourself. You can't go to school for this. Can't fake it."

He hinted that future guests might include potty-mouthed comic Sarah Silverman, former President Bill Clinton or one-time Hollywood Madam Heidi Fleiss. What about Eddie Van Halen, who has famously feuded with Roth?

"I've already called," Roth said, but there are still hurt feelings. "Eddie's off in his own world."

Roth said the radio gig doesn't mean that his music career is over. He expects the show to travel all over the country, meaning that if he tours, the show will go with him.

The show may travel from coast to coast, but Infinity Broadcasting -- now called CBS Radio -- chose to air Roth only in the eastern part of the country.

Roth will be heard in Cleveland, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Dallas and West Palm Beach, Fla.

Comedian Adam Carolla replaces Stern in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Portland, Ore.

Rover, morning DJ for WXTM FM/92.3, will replace Stern in Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, Memphis and Rochester, N.Y. Rover's Cleveland local listeners will still find him on "92.3 Xtreme."

Many Stern listeners undoubtedly will follow him to satellite radio. His last live broadcast on terrestrial radio was Dec. 16. But CBS Radio expects the Roth Army to fall in line behind their man.

Roth was born in Bloomington, Ind., and grew up in Los Angeles. As Van Halen's original lead singer, he cultivated a reputation for nonstop debauchery and a larger-than-life personality.

Van Halen released its first album in the late 1970s. Roth left the band for a solo career in the mid-1980s, and briefly reunited with Van Halen years later. He released a CD with another group, the DLR Band, in 1998.

So is a radio career a step up -- or down -- from being a rock star? Roth noted that he'll have millions more listeners than the Rolling Stones can fit into one stadium.

"My show is the best thing to ever happen to your hangover," he quipped.

DLR'sCock
01-02-2006, 10:29 AM
They use the term the ROTH ARMY, how kool is that?

Originally posted by Softknockz
http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/113619434637560.xml&coll=2&thispage=2

More From The Plain Dealer | Subscribe To The Plain Dealer
Roth takes over Stern's mike on Tuesday
Page 2 of 2
"I've already called," Roth said, but there are still hurt feelings. "Eddie's off in his own world."

Roth said the radio gig doesn't mean that his music career is over. He expects the show to travel all over the country, meaning that if he tours, the show will go with him.

The show may travel from coast to coast, but Infinity Broadcasting -- now called CBS Radio -- chose to air Roth only in the eastern part of the country.

Roth will be heard in Cleveland, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Dallas and West Palm Beach, Fla.

Comedian Adam Carolla replaces Stern in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Portland, Ore.

Rover, morning DJ for WXTM FM/92.3, will replace Stern in Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, Memphis and Rochester, N.Y. Rover's Cleveland local listeners will still find him on "92.3 Xtreme."

Many Stern listeners undoubtedly will follow him to satellite radio. His last live broadcast on terrestrial radio was Dec. 16. But CBS Radio expects the Roth Army to fall in line behind their man.

Roth was born in Bloomington, Ind., and grew up in Los Angeles. As Van Halen's original lead singer, he cultivated a reputation for nonstop debauchery and a larger-than-life personality.

Van Halen released its first album in the late 1970s. Roth left the band for a solo career in the mid-1980s, and briefly reunited with Van Halen years later. He released a CD with another group, the DLR Band, in 1998.

So is a radio career a step up -- or down -- from being a rock star? Roth noted that he'll have millions more listeners than the Rolling Stones can fit into one stadium.

"My show is the best thing to ever happen to your hangover," he quipped.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

jwashington@plaind.com, 216-999-4539

bantonelli
01-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Wow.....ROTH ARMY.....Is that our 15 seconds of Fame? That means US!

Hell yes, we will rally behind our guy......ROTH ARMY RULZ !!!!

diamondsgirl
01-02-2006, 02:01 PM
"Roth said the radio gig doesn't mean that his music career is over. He expects the show to travel all over the country, meaning that if he tours, the show will go with him."

I'm excited about this statement. We could be getting the best of...

damn!!

you know what I'm tryin' to say :D

Live Roth AND Radio Roth!!

diamondsgirl
01-02-2006, 02:18 PM
and I hate that stupid fucking question "Is this a step up or a step down from being a rock star"? :rolleyes:

just shut the fuck up and enjoy the show!!! :cool:

DLR'sCock
01-03-2006, 02:55 AM
bump for ROTH ARMY mention!