ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

ACLU will provide cameras to tape police

By Jeremy Kohler
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Saturday, Dec. 31 2005

St. Louis police officers often say they feel as if people are looking over
    their shoulders.

That feeling isn't likely to let up this year.

The local chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, a frequent critic of
    the city police, says it plans to arm residents of the city's north side with
    video cameras to record officers' dealings with the public.

The activist group says the department often mistreats and unfairly targets
    blacks and said it hopes the presence of cameras will act as a deterrent to
    police abuse and result in smoother dealings between residents and police.

The group said the cameras will start rolling in the summer, after a series of
    workshops near Fairground Park where blacks can learn about how to protect
    their rights during dealings with police. The program is called the Racial
    Justice Initiative.

ACLU leaders notified Police Chief Joe Mokwa of its plans in meetings during
    the fall. Neither the ACLU nor the police knew of any other previous effort
    nationally to put officers under private surveillance.

The department has responded with a shrug. While some commanders are leery of
    having their officers taped, Mokwa said, "It's legal and there is nothing wrong
    with it."

Sgt. Kevin Ahlbrand, president of the St. Louis Police Officers Association,
    said: "We don't expect any negative reports to come out of videotaping. Our
    members are under the assumption that in today's society, they should assume
    that any time they're in public, they may be being videotaped."

Redditt Hudson, who heads the ACLU's racial justice program, said, "It's not
    like we needed their clearance."

Mokwa said his officers are used to hearing criticism. On Dec. 22, the chief
    said, he rushed to Barnes-Jewish Hospital to visit a rookie officer who had
    been just been shot in the neck.

Mokwa said the first words of the officer, Matthew Greco, were, "I didn't do
    anything wrong."

But Brenda Jones, the ACLU chapter's executive director, said some criticism of
    police is warranted.

"People are being stopped by the police for no particular reason," she said. "A
    number who have run-ins have attempted to file complaints but haven't been able
    to get to internal affairs."

The group wants to lessen the "tension and potential for violence that has
    occurred with police patrolling some of the poor neighborhoods in the city,"
    she said.

Mokwa said he hopes the amateur cameramen don't interfere with officers or bait
    them with bogus calls. He said he disagrees with the premise of the action - he
    feels most people are happy with his officers' service.

The ACLU only hears from the small percentage of people who feel they have been
    wronged by police, he said.

He said he thinks most people want police officers to be aggressive in dealing
    with troublemakers in their neighborhoods.

Mokwa said he hopes the tapes depict officers acting professionally. If the
    videos expose problems, he said, "we'd want to know about those anyway."

Where's the outrage?:confused:
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif
  • blueturk
    Veteran
    • Jul 2004

And your point is...?

Comment

• Warham
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

The Al-Qaeda Civil Liberties Union? Doesn't surprise me.

Comment

• Jerry Falwell

I don't see anything wrong with the ACLU targeting the Police... I seriously doubt that this will do much beyond strengthen the City's case in doubtful situations. I see this as backfiring on the ACLU.

Comment

• blueturk
          Veteran
          • Jul 2004

How ironic that the same sheep who defend Dubya's "right" to spy on Americans see something wrong with this. I hate to tell you people this, but "Andy Griffith" is just a TV show. You may find this hard to believe, but there are some bad cops out there that actually beat people up and stuff!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

So? Police can tape you at a traffic stop, why can't you tape them? What would good cops acting in accordance with the law have to worry about?

Comment

• Jerry Falwell

Originally posted by blueturk
              How ironic that the same sheep who defend Dubya's "right" to spy on Americans see something wrong with this. I hate to tell you people this, but "Andy Griffith" is just a TV show. You may find this hard to believe, but there are some bad cops out there that actually beat people up and stuff!
              I don't think you understood my post... I DON'T have a problem with the ACLU doing this. Sure, there are some bad cops out there, and they deserve to be caught. However, if I look at the big picture, I feel like most cops have good intentions where I live and I would hope that this rings true elsewhere.
              Also, even though I don't take issue with the ACLU's monitoring police, I think that this will just be a waste of thier time and money--- like most ideas that they come up with.

PS- Blueturk, your reading comprehension is in question!

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Police should be held accountable if they violate the law, just like anybody else. We are all aware of certain well publicized cases where cops were caught on tape using excessive force on civilians.

Just yesterday, I heard of a local case where cops tazered a 15 year old kid who was already laying on the ground, handcuffed behind his back by a cop who was twice his size. That's excessive force (and no, the kid wasn't wanted for a violent crime either)

It would seem that some police departments have never heard of the Constitution or the Miranda decision, and operate on the principle that they're at war against American citizens. This is WRONG. The streets of American cities are not a combat zone, and American citizens are not fucking terrorists (well, except maybe the BCE - but the police aren't harrassing them)
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

But you libs have no problems with letting murders getting their sentences commuted, and in some cases letting them out early if they are good little prisoners, only to go out and kill again at the first opportunity.

Comment

• blueturk
                    Veteran
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Jerry Falwell
                    I don't think you understood my post... I DON'T have a problem with the ACLU doing this. Sure, there are some bad cops out there, and they deserve to be caught. However, if I look at the big picture, I feel like most cops have good intentions where I live and I would hope that this rings true elsewhere.
                    Also, even though I don't take issue with the ACLU's monitoring police, I think that this will just be a waste of thier time and money--- like most ideas that they come up with.

PS- Blueturk, your reading comprehension is in question!
                    Actually I was replying to Warham's post, not yours. That should have been fairly evident if your comprehension is not in question. Although admittedly I should have quoted Warham...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                      But you libs have no problems with letting murders getting their sentences commuted, and in some cases letting them out early if they are good little prisoners, only to go out and kill again at the first opportunity.
                      But but but "you libs."

Well, some of you Jesus-Juice swellers have no problem letting innocent people get railroaded by the police, or as in the case in ILLINOIS a few years ago, allowing innocent men to be executed by a corrupt DA and police dept(s)...

Comment

• Warham
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Next I'll be hearing that Tookie Williams was an innocent victim.

Comment

• Jerry Falwell

Originally posted by blueturk
                          Actually I was replying to Warham's post, not yours. That should have been fairly evident if your comprehension is not in question. Although admittedly I should have quoted Warham...
                          My bad then...

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

Too funny.

You dumbass Cons should be THRILLED to have cops taped......

Cons = They truly are their own worst enemy

LMMFAO

But, but.....LIBERALS

LMMFAO

Isn't it funny Warpig your HERO Rash Limpig also HATED the ACLU.............that is until they were on his side to keep his ILLEGAL pill shopping Med Records from being made public.
                            Originally posted by Kristy
                            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                            Originally posted by cadaverdog
                            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Unchainme
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                              Too funny.

You dumbass Cons should be THRILLED to have cops taped......

Cons = They truly are their own worst enemy

LMMFAO

But, but.....LIBERALS

LMMFAO

Isn't it funny Warpig your HERO Rash Limpig also HATED the ACLU.............that is until they were on his side to keep his ILLEGAL pill shopping Med Records from being made public.
                              Same Thing with Hannity, Hannity got tooken off the air in Irvine, Ca, for some reason. The ACLU fought for him to get back on the air. LOL
                              Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

Working...