PDA

View Full Version : FYI, one reviewer's opinion of Dave

Mr. Vengeance
01-04-2006, 05:25 PM
http://larrison.blogspot.com/2006/01/stern-replacement-crew.html

It's just one opinion, but dave doesn't come out too well according to this radio reviewer. Just thought I'd put it out there so people can rip on it or discuss it.

He seems to really like Adam Carrola's job.

Keep in mind, Dave's done all of one show when this was written..Carrola's a radio vet.

hain23x
01-04-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm not too worried about the opinion of someone who looks like this

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/249/7162/1024/jimlarrison-2.jpg

plus he thinks that fag Rover who started here in Chicago yesterday is good:rolleyes:

m_dixon1984
01-04-2006, 06:11 PM
This guy was looking more at market share retention than anything else. From what I read he gives proven radio "talent" his approval simply because they have a better chance of keeping the Stern fans around and hopefully the rating numbers as well. He doesn't see that with Dave. CBS obviously saw something or they wouldn't wouldn't have offered him the job and the salary. My feeling is that Dave will take longer to build his audience because he won't be an instant hit with the old Stern fans. The real question is can he build a new audience on the old Stern stations fast enough to keep all the advertisers paying top dollar and all the stations he broadcasts on happy? Once he hits his stride I'm very hopeful. It's certainly far too early to be writing off the Diamond one.
M

Jurak
01-04-2006, 06:18 PM
hey isn't that the "Gentle Ben" guy?? BWahahahahahaha..... :D

fuckin' fruitcake........no taste asshole, must be jealous....

DavidLeeNatra
01-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Finally… the genuine loser of the bunch. David Lee Roth’s show was a major train wreck. His show was not only boring, it was very poorly managed. The fact that this is on the CBS Radio flagship station WXRK, it is amazing on how poorly this show was run. It is also amazing on how boring the content was, given the amount of prep time that was put into this show. Roth came across as an ego maniac and it was clear he was trying to fill time. He struggled with the show and it was very clear he is not a radio talent. This should not be a surprise. Roth did well in Boston on a few shows, but he is now in the big league and needs to perform day after day.

Unfortunately, there is no possible scenario that I can consider where Roth is going to be successful. Even if he starts doing very extreme stunts on the show and brings in high class guests, he is not a radio guy. His concert stories are going to dry up in a few weeks, his excitement for this job is going to wane, and he is going to die on the vine. Mark my words, January 3, 2006, David Lee Roth will not be on WXRK by January 3, 2007. It should be obvious to every radio executive in the world; Roth should go back to doing whatever he does and get off the air. The second biggest mistake Infinity management did was to sign Roth as their flagship product. He is a big name, and makes a big splash, but radio is about long term consistency, not about quick smoke and mirrors and flash.

Jurak
01-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Roth will do just fine, given time..... like .........who gives a fuck what that guy says anyway, we ALL know different... :D

hain23x
01-04-2006, 06:38 PM

hain23x
01-04-2006, 06:39 PM
that picture is just too fuckin' funny

DavidLeeNatra
01-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by hain23x

nuff said... :uck:

Jurak
01-04-2006, 09:50 PM
nice red " x "..... yep, ....too fuckin funny.... :D

roper69
01-04-2006, 10:35 PM
I know I am an ugly guy. But that never stopped me before. Anyway, like I said in the review, it was based on the first 2 hours of his show. I actually think the show improved a lot today and think the review was probably a little harsh in hindsight.

That being said, you are right about the fact that it will take time to build the show and an audience. I was serious when I said I wish Dave well, I am actually a fan of his music (solo). I saw his solo concert as my first concert ever. I know I look really old, but I am only 37.

Anyway, I do think the press that Roth is getting will help him. He still seemed a little nervious, but the discussion about guns and EMT today was actually pretty compelling.

I am going to write a follow-up review next week on everything, not that my opinion really matters much. I just do it for fun.

I would love to hear your thoughts on where Dave is doing well and where he is still improving.

Thanks again for all the compliments on my photo :) - I took it down as I am too ugly to really have my shot up there on my site. I am sure it drives away the visitors.

fryingdutchman
01-05-2006, 04:54 AM
I think it's funny that the reviewer says that radio is about "long term consistency, not about quick smoke and mirrors and flash."

I spent 10 years in the radio trenches, and I've never seen an industry with so much turnover.

Especially in recent years, when stations change format more on a whim than for any other reason.

The radio industry sucks, period. It's full of lowlifes, bottom feeders, and cloying attention-whores.

I wish Dave well, and I hope he's a success. I just feel bad that he has to slosh around in an industry so full of useless fucks.

Polk High
01-05-2006, 05:04 AM
is that his true picture? cause if so he should remove it from his site and possibly put one up from his early 20's (unless that is what that picture is)

Jérôme Frenchise
01-05-2006, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by roper69
I know I am an ugly guy. But that never stopped me before. Anyway, like I said in the review, it was based on the first 2 hours of his show. I actually think the show improved a lot today and think the review was probably a little harsh in hindsight.

That being said, you are right about the fact that it will take time to build the show and an audience. I was serious when I said I wish Dave well, I am actually a fan of his music (solo). I saw his solo concert as my first concert ever. I know I look really old, but I am only 37.

Anyway, I do think the press that Roth is getting will help him. He still seemed a little nervious, but the discussion about guns and EMT today was actually pretty compelling.

I am going to write a follow-up review next week on everything, not that my opinion really matters much. I just do it for fun.

I would love to hear your thoughts on where Dave is doing well and where he is still improving.

Thanks again for all the compliments on my photo :) - I took it down as I am too ugly to really have my shot up there on my site. I am sure it drives away the visitors.

If you really are the author of that review... man, if radio is "not about quick smoke and mirrors and flash", then what is writing articles in newspapers about? What to think of a reviewer who bashes somebody and confesses he was probably wrong the day after? :confused:

Be careful, spoken words come and go, but writings remain... but this is just about the basics of written journalism. :rolleyes:

h3yl0
01-05-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm not too worried about the opinion of someone who looks like this

plus he thinks that fag Rover who started here in Chicago yesterday is good:rolleyes: Yeah who really cares what this fuck thinks. I listened to Rover yesterday and it was nothing but a contest. If anyone's the bad DJ it's Rover.

hain23x
01-05-2006, 07:52 AM
http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=clint+howard/v=2/SID=e/l=IVS/SIG=14j0mj5am/EXP=1136551871/*-http%3A//us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/cinderella_man/clint_howard/manpre.jpg

DavidLeeNatra
01-05-2006, 08:02 AM
ooouh...my eyes hurt...make THAT go away....!!!

Nickdfresh
01-05-2006, 08:37 AM
This blog dude comes off as the typical "radio guy" that actually believes that people care about the production quality of a radio show over content... He probably would have written off HOWARD STERN in the morning also 25 years ago...

Yes, some of DAVE's show dragged a bit, and yes Adam COROLLA and the: "Zoo Morning Good Guys, Wake-Up with Douche bags, Mr. Brainless Radio Voice In the Morning, Insert radio morning show cliche' here, etc." are all experienced broadcasters that make the show run smoothly, but how can DAVE be any less boring than these dip shits that get their content off? Seriously, this tool seems more concerned about the style (production quality) over substance, and one can hardly judge DAVE based on the first two hours of his first day...

Granted, I think DAVE should have started by host a weekly "Little Steven's Underground Garage" style show for a while before he attempted this if he's indeed serious about a second career in radio (an like ADAM COROLLA, DAVE may have various side projects brewing)...

This guy can guarnantee all he wants, but he comes off as the typical radio industry douche bag that has blanded down corporate radio to the point of comatose-ness, and has pushed people to Satellite in droves...Part of this is because of deregulation and corporate entities absorbing the individual stations and turning them all into a territorial niche', which CBS/Infinity is now trying to reverse with the lame-ass "JACK FM" all music (iPod shuffle) format...

bantonelli
01-05-2006, 10:39 AM
http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=clint+howard/v=2/SID=e/l=IVS/SIG=14j0mj5am/EXP=1136551871/*-http%3A//us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/cinderella_man/clint_howard/manpre.jpg

EWWW..That is an Eye Sore....Opie's little Bro..Clint Howard. Even Gentle Ben probably ran away.

ThrillsNSpills
01-05-2006, 10:48 AM
lol

hain23x
01-06-2006, 12:35 PM
If you go back to that guy's blog you'll notice that he no longer has is mug showcased on the front page:D

sonrisa salvaje
01-06-2006, 12:48 PM
This guy puts the U in ugly. Yikes.

Big Fat Sammy
01-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by roper69

Did anyone notice he posted here? lol

hain23x
01-06-2006, 01:52 PM
that has to be a joke. Would he really just wonder over here and sign up?

Big Fat Sammy
01-06-2006, 01:58 PM
that has to be a joke. Would he really just wonder over here and sign up?

Well, he at least knew his pic was being hotlinked here...cause he took it down. :D

hain23x
01-06-2006, 02:00 PM
yeah, good point!

as Dave use to say "critics like Elvis Costello because they all look like Elvis Costello"

I guess this guy must like Clint Howard

Mr. Vengeance
01-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Who cares what he looks like?

Maybe he'll mention the Army in his next collumn...

Big Fat Sammy
01-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
Who cares what he looks like?

Maybe he'll mention the Army in his next collumn...

I'm sure he'll give us a rave review at this point...:D

Mr. Vengeance
01-07-2006, 11:56 AM
I haven't said anything bad about him....

Just spell my name right dude!!!!!