PDA

View Full Version : Ratings / Numbers / Share

jonelster
01-05-2006, 12:04 PM
When do the DLR radio rating numbers 'come' out?
Curious how's he doing.
Rock On

hain23x
01-05-2006, 12:19 PM
my question is, how do they know how many people are listening to a radio station?

I know how they do it with TV, my family had a little box one time that you would click the remote for it when you were watching a channel.

I have no idea how the do it for radio?:confused:

Hardrock69
01-05-2006, 12:41 PM
They publish ratings results 4 times per year. One for each season.

hain23x
01-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Yeah, but that still doesn't answer my question. How do they know how many people are listening to the radio?

Originally posted by Hardrock69
They publish ratings results 4 times per year. One for each season.

fuckhowardstern
01-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by hain23x
Yeah, but that still doesn't answer my question. How do they know how many people are listening to the radio?

It is very similar to the way they do it for television. They take a sample and gauge what people are listening to through a device that records what is on the radios of the sample group. For TV they use the "Neilson" ratings and for radio it is called "Arbitron" ratings.

http://www.medialit.org/reading_room/article264.html

"Radio stations have to provide high ratings," he says, referring to the Arbitron rating system, which, similar to TV's Neilson ratings, ranks radio stations on the basis of the listening preference of a relatively small number of sample homes.

The ratings, as in TV, determine how much each station can charge for its advertising time. And with dozens of radio stations competing for listeners in each broadcast market, the pressure is on to keep listeners from switching the dial. "Radio programmers are afraid to program records unless they can be sure they're hits," notes Resnick.

bantonelli
01-05-2006, 02:45 PM
I wish they would rate those who are streaming the internet and count us in as well.....we should easily equal out to at least a couple of thousand listenters?

ThrillsNSpills
01-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by bantonelli
I wish they would rate those who are streaming the internet and count us in as well.....we should easily equal out to at least a couple of thousand listenters?

That's a good point. I'd like to know how many people streaming the show there are...if people are even aware of it outside us on these boards.

bantonelli
01-05-2006, 02:56 PM
This morning DLR mentioned that there were listeners in Brazil, Los Angeles (me!), Cheyenne, WY, Overseas, etc.

I would assume they were streaming the internet since he's only on Radio in 7 markets ? Unless the ipod is world-wide, therefore, they should be counted as well.

I want CBS to know that he's got a large audience....the only other thing I can think of is to email a small blurb each day to the station and let them know we are avid listeners. That should count for something!

h3yl0
01-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by bantonelli
I wish they would rate those who are streaming the internet and count us in as well.....we should easily equal out to at least a couple of thousand listenters? I'd assume they're smart enough to already do that.