X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Macu
    Roadie
    • Jan 2006

Guitar collections,or,cemetaries?

Lets forget about a persons "right" to collect guitars,and consider "is it right?"I am not talking about a few guitars,( if they are played),as much as the big collections.People hoarding vintage pieces either for the prestige,or,re-sale.The vintage guitar market got royally screwed by people buying up everything they could as investments.Non-musicians who dont play.Its now impossible to realistically think about owning many guitars.Or,musicians that can afford it,but,cant possibly play all of the guitars for any real length of time.Example:Want a Gibson flyingV?Too bad!,Rudi Schenker has all of them.Not really,but,I saw a picture of his "collection".Its like 60 guitars,or,so.I play guitar for a living,and,as a musician,I cant imagine having rooms full of guitars just sitting there.Like I said,how much can you play 60 guitars.I come accross guitars all the time.Many are gifts.I end up giving ones away,or,trading to friends that might need a better guitar.Many of the best guitars in the world are basically dying in graves.Any player knows an instrument must be played.The more the better.---End of rant--- Macu...
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

in October of 1986, I brought an early 70's Gibson SG backstage at an AC/DC concert to see if Angus would be interested in buying one. He prefers a certain style of SG that has a narrower neck at the nut than usual (I think they are 1 1/8" wide at the nut, whereas a normal SG is 1 1/4" wide).

I went into the tuning room to discuss it with his guitar tech.

He looked it over, and said: "Yes..that is the kind he likes alright. But he is not buying any right now...he has got 65 of them out with him right now".

He was not lying. At the other end of the room were guitar cases stacked to the ceiling, and wall to wall, and half a dozen guitars were on stands, including several SGs, and Malcom;s White Gretsch Falcon (I think that is the correct model).

THe answer to the above thought about collections is that you should thank these collectors for hoarding them.

If it were not for them, these guitars would not be considered a good investment.

I someday want to start buying some investment-grade guitars.

Late 50s-Early 60s Fender Strats can still be found at a reasonable price.

Forget about about 1959 Les Paul Standards, or 1958 Flying Vs.

Guitar Center in Gnashville for almost a year had a 1954 Strat for 7500 bucks. It was in great shape too. They might have accepted an offer lower than that, as they had it for quite awhile.

These collectable guitars will not decrease in value at all.

Get 'em while you can, and someday you can sell them for a nice profit.

Comment

• Macu
      Roadie
      • Jan 2006

Investment?Is that the reason you buy guitars?What good is ANY guitar that isnt played?Its just moving around a piece of wood for people to say"Its valuable".I understand the business end of it,HR,I want to know how you feel about 65 guitars doing NOTHING except waiting for"someday"to make someone some money?Its like tourists that come to Spain and buy nice Spanish guitars only to take them home to stick up on a wall.I think it sucks.I would rather see guitars being played by musicians than to see them being "played"by businessmen.I dont think the hoarders deserve any thanks.They dont determine if something is a good investment.They can,however,manipulate the market.I dont need anyone to tell me what a good guitar is.Personally,I dont care about brands.When you consider it a tool in your life,you want what works the best.I do own an old Les Paul,but,prefer strats.I had many nice Fenders in the past but now have a Francesc Jordan custom made one.He is a luthier in Barcelona.I prefer it to any Fender I have ever played.And what about these hoarders that have no intention on selling their guitars "someday"?We have to wait for them to die and hope whoever gets them will sell them for a reasonable price?I think the whole thing is stupid.Really,I dont care.I am happy with what I have.I just think its a shame that so many guitars are basically wasted.BTW,thanks for the link for the videos site.Jammed on some Maiden earlier! Macu...

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

As far as vintage instruments go, if you can justify paying that amount, go nuts. I've only played ONE vintage Strat that gave me a boner ( it was a '54, and it was MAGIC...10k sticker price)...and I worked at one of the flagship stores of the Evil Empire, so I've played a bunch. What killed me ( and still does) are the weenies that will pay $15k for a PRS they can't even PLAY, just to be able to say "I paid (X) for this guitar!" Yeah, well I BUILT mine for $500, and I can beat you up with it . I can't see having more guitars than I actually USE ( I have five right now), but if I suddenly had way more disposable income, you never know....
        Originally posted by conmee
        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
        Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
        I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
        Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
        Originally posted by eddie78
        I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Hardrock69
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2005

Hey, I have 9 guitars I own for PLAYING Purposes.

Why should I always invest my money in stocks or real estate or coins?

As a guitar player I would want to invest in GUITARS!

Have you ever bothered to check out the return on investment on a vintage guitar after just a few years?

As time goes on, the value only goes up.

I am not concerned with the playability if I buy it as an investment, as playing it is not it's purpose in such a situation.

Comment

• Macu
            Roadie
            • Jan 2006

I am in agreement with both of you.Price isnt a concern if its "The One",or,as my friends would say,"Excalibre!".Once again,if its in reach.Also,vintage doesnt neccesarily mean good.I am of the same mindset as you Jhale,in that I dont own guitars I dont play.But you bring up a good point about investing,HR.I never thought about it that way.Last night I was thinking to myself"Its just guitars,whats the big deal?Relax".You both make good points,only,what about all the"NICE" guitars in big collections that go untouched year after year?Macu...

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

PENIS
              Originally posted by flappo
              i'm sure grimsdale's on drugs

Originally posted by Cato
              translating your Japanese.

"Master Cato is...I order, it's yours. don't ask me to do gay material for the life of me because you kick my bat."

omae baka dana?

Comment

• Macu
                Roadie
                • Jan 2006

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
                [SIZE=I LOVE PENIS[/SIZE] [/Q

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

PENIS

"Master Cato is...I order, it's yours. don't ask me to do gay material for the life of me because you kick my bat."

omae baka dana?

Comment

• Macu
                    Roadie
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale I NEED PENIS

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

PENIS
                      PENIS
                      PENIS

omae baka dana?

Comment

• Macu
                        Roadie
                        • Jan 2006

Stop stalking me like some kind of fag,grimsdale.If you got something to say,bring it on.You are really fucking boring.

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

PENIS

omae baka dana?

Comment

• Macu
                            Roadie
                            • Jan 2006

O.k.,I figured it out.Welcome back,Mr.G.,and best wishes.

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

hi de hi!

omae baka dana?

Comment

Working...