PDA

View Full Version : Safety is a concern with the Prez

Ally_Kat
04-03-2004, 03:43 AM
GOP lockdown looms
NYPD, Secret Service spar on subway closing

By THOMAS M. DeFRANK in Washington and GREG GITTRICH in New York

New York may stop in its tracks the night President Bush accepts his party's nomination in Madison Square Garden.
While Bush is in the convention center Sept. 2, the Secret Service wants all Amtrak, NJTransit and Long Island Rail Road Service to cease, the Daily News has learned.

For now, the six subway lines that run alongside the Garden on Seventh and Eighth Aves. will remain open but won't stop at 34th St., government officials told the News.

There is still debate whether to demand the subway lines also be fully halted when Bush takes the stage that Thursday, the last day of the four-day GOP convention.

The New York Police Department, which is working with the Secret Service, denied any final decisions had been made.

"Obviously, we have added more protection to Penn Station and we are working closely and daily with the Secret Service," said NYPD Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne.

"But the station will be open and no major arteries will be closed," said Browne, the department's top spokesman.

"New York City will be open for business," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly told the Daily News.

At City Hall, an aide said of the rail stoppage plan, "We are adamantly opposed to this."

The scrum over New York security emerged as officials in Boston revealed they plan to close two transit hubs for a full week, starting three days before the start of the Democratic Convention on July 23.

The convention is being held in the FleetCenter, which shares a building with North Station.

The worries over the rail lines and convention safety come a few weeks after train bombings in Madrid killed 191 people.

Ally_Kat
04-03-2004, 03:44 AM
that's going to be a bitch if they do that

ELVIS
04-03-2004, 04:07 AM
Does this mean the terrorists are winning or losing ??

FORD
04-03-2004, 12:58 PM
It means the tooth fairy and the easter bunny can do whatever your parents tell you they can do, as long as you believe it.

BigBadBrian
04-03-2004, 02:09 PM
I support any and all efforts to protect OUR President. Felt that way with Clinton and all his predecessors, too. I don't want anyone deciding who will be the President except the American public. :gulp:

FORD
04-03-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
I don't want anyone deciding who will be the President except the American public.

Since when? You didn't have any objections to The Supreme Court, Kate Harris, or Diebold making the decision

BigBadBrian
04-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Since when? You didn't have any objections to The Supreme Court, Kate Harris, or Diebold making the decision

Those were all legal dealing, courtesy of the US Constitution. Ain't doing things the legal way a bitch sometimes?

FORD
04-03-2004, 03:32 PM
Kate Harris stripping 90,000 voters from the voter rolls is legal?

Diebold machines altering votes is legal?

Republican appointees stopping a vote count that their boy was about to lose is legal?

I don't think so.

knuckleboner
04-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
I support any and all efforts to protect OUR President. Felt that way with Clinton and all his predecessors, too. I don't want anyone deciding who will be the President except the American public. :gulp:

eh...sometimes, security proposals DO go a little too far. after all, we don't want to turn the white house into a fortress.

but i don't fault the secret service. it's their job to do everything they can to protect the president. great. and ultimately, it's the president's job to say when the proposals have gone a little too far.

lucky wilbury
04-04-2004, 06:09 PM
there shutting down a highway ,trains, closing train stations and shutting off ferry service for the dem convention.

Pink Spider
04-04-2004, 06:36 PM
I think the security is to defend the "President" from the American people, not the terrorists. Same with the Dem convention.

Chong Li
04-04-2004, 08:23 PM
No, I think its because the Republican convention is a likely target for Islamofascist terrorists. I live near there and will be very careful that week.

The terrorists are going to try to impact our election, just like they did with Spain. They want an appeaser like Kerry in there.

No one cares about the Dem convention. Its kind of like the VH3 of political parties.