• Show
Clear All
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Kennedy among leading recipients of convicted lobbyist's clients

January 4, 2006

PROVIDENCE, R.I. --U.S. Rep. Patrick Kennedy is one of the leading recipients of campaign contributions from Indian tribes represented by Jack Abramoff, the Republican lobbyist who has pleaded guilty to corruption charges.

From 1999 through last year, the Rhode Island Democrat and his political action committee received $42,500 in contributions from a half-dozen tribes represented by Abramoff, according to a report in Wednesday's Providence Journal.

One Washington watchdog group ranked Kennedy eighth among congressional beneficiaries of Abramoff, his tribal clients or his gambling company. The Center for Responsive Politics ranked Kennedy the top recipient among congressional Democrats.

Sean Richardson, Kennedy's chief of staff, said Abramoff has never lobbied Kennedy, and Kennedy has not received any campaign contributions directly from Abramoff, according to the Federal Election Commission.

"None of this -- not a single penny of it -- had anything to do with Jack Abramoff," Richardson said. "We don't believe he's ever met Jack Abramoff."

Abramoff pleaded guilty on Tuesday to conspiracy, mail fraud and tax evasion, and promised to cooperate in a corruption probe edging closer to former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay. The powerful lobbyist admitted defrauding four Indian tribes by billing them for fake legal fees and using the money for kickbacks.

Richardson said Kennedy has no plans to return the tribal campaign contributions.

Kennedy has received money from Indian tribes interested in gambling for much of his career. He was a founder of the Native American Caucus in the House of Representatives, and has received contributions from 110 tribes, Richardson said.

During his first term, Kennedy backed an effort by the Narragansett tribe to create a high-stakes gambling hall in Rhode Island. And as chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee in 1999 and 2000, Kennedy helped Democratic House candidates raise money from various tribes.

Link
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Re: Kennedy among leading recipients of convicted lobbyist's clients

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
    January 4, 2006

PROVIDENCE, R.I. --U.S. Rep. Patrick Kennedy...

From 1999 through last year, the Rhode Island Democrat and his political action committee received $42,500 in contributions from a half-dozen tribes represented by Abramoff, according to a report in Wednesday's Providence Journal.

Link
    So he received money from Indian tribes? Is that what you are saying?

Comment

• BigBadBrian
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Kennedy among leading recipients of convicted lobbyist's clients

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
      So he received money from Indian tribes? Is that what you are saying?
      I'm saying he got money from da man.

You know what I be talkin' 'bout.
      “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Re: Re: Re: Kennedy among leading recipients of convicted lobbyist's clients

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
        I'm saying he got money from da man.

You know what I be talkin' 'bout.
        Um, too dum to stay on topic BIGBADBLUNDER?

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Enough with the dupe threads.

Jack Abramoff gave NOTHING to Democrats. End of story.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...