PDA

View Full Version : Radio debut doesn’t exactly Roth the boat

Bored
01-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Boston Herald (http://theedge.bostonherald.com/tvNews/view.bg?articleid=119767&format=&page=2)

David Lee Roth is no Howard Stern.

Turns out he’s no Adam Corolla, either.

The most shocking thing about Roth’s debut yesterday morning as would-be East Coast successor to Stern’s syndicated radio empire was how the former Van Halen frontman chose to neither shock nor awe his new listeners.

Roth’s program, carried on seven CBS Radio affiliates including WBCN-FM (104.1) in Boston, opened with the familiar drumroll of Van Halen’s “Hot for Teacher” and a female voice declaring: “Welcome to David Lee Roth. Prepare to feel filthy my friend, and completely alive.”

Yet Roth offered no filth in his first four hours.

Instead, he opened his stint in what he called “the hottest seat in international radio” by revealing his typical McDonald’s order (two-cheeseburger meal, supersized with a Coke), and within four minutes asked: “What am I doing on the radio?”

He answered by describing his first experiences listening to the radio, a Ray Charles song when he was a 7-year-old in 1961 living at 21 Alton Court in Brookline.

Hub references abounded. He kidded new boss Tom Chiusano about his dislike for Roth’s “Boston Irish” friend in the studio. And Boston listeners soon learned that DJ Hutch, who previously worked shifts at WBOS-FM (92.9), WROR-FM (105.7) and most recently WZLX-FM (100.7), was Roth’s main on-air sidekick. Hutch also helped Roth during his weeklong stint last year on WZLX.

Snippets of songs and beats played in the background, with Roth prompting Hutch sometimes to play the complete song — U2’s “Vertigo,” the Faces’ “Ooh La La” and Average White Band’s “School Boy Crush.”

Actually, Roth’s show amounted to average white radio.

When a couple of callers couldn’t connect via his toll-free line, 866-313-FREE, Roth quipped: “Is Eddie Van Halen running the phones?”

Stern’s West Coast replacement, Adam Corolla, opened his show yesterday with a team that included VH1’s Rachel Perry and his longtime producing partner Jimmy Kimmel. Anyone who has heard Corolla on the radio sex-advice show “Loveline” or any variety of Comedy Central shows was familiar with the subject matter at hand yesterday. Roth was slower out of the gate.

At 9:58 a.m., he signed off from “David Lee’s Tiki Bunker, where the debris meets the sea. Join me tomorrow, it gets nothing but better from here.”

Let’s hope so.

Nickdfresh
01-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Why don't you keep all of this shit in the same thread?

diamondsgirl
01-06-2006, 08:37 PM
these threads should be moved to the pen

Stern sheep need love too :)

Bored
01-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Why don't you keep all of this shit in the same thread?

please stay on topic. If you need to ask a question that is what the PM function is for. Thank you.

Matt White
01-06-2006, 08:39 PM
It'll get DUMPed......

The sooner the better......

Maybe they'll open a coal mine in Pennsylvania soon......

Nickdfresh
01-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Bored
please stay on topic. If you need to ask a question that is what the PM function is for. Thank you.

Hey, I tell you what the topic is fool...

Diamond Dave still in
the rough on first outing

David Lee Roth proved in his morning-radio debut yesterday on the new WFNY (92.3 FM) that, if necessary, he can talk for four hours.

We never doubted that, of course, and as skills go, it's not a bad start toward becoming a successful radio host.

Nor does it hurt that Roth sells the "Diamond Dave" sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll persona as smoothly as Van Halen fans break into air-guitar solos.

But as with many first dates, Roth's opening show in Howard Stern's old time and place didn't immediately find its rhythm.

Diamond Dave reported that in the '70s, "I slept with any girl who had two legs in her pants - and one who was an amputee."

But when a caller asked who he was dating now, Roth told him, "My love life is not part of the public spotlight, because [a relationship] always changes when the spotlight hits it.

"That's why Nick [Lachey] and Jessica [Simpson] never had a chance. It changes your behavior when someone's always watching. You never have an opportunity to become intimate."

It will be interesting to see if listeners will be satisfied with one-liners about Diamond Dave's conquests while David Lee Roth's life stays off-limits.

He was nipped a few times by operational glitches that should work out. There were dropped and missing phone calls. At least two other people in the studio, including "Animal," were heard but never really introduced.

Roth also forgot that New York and L.A. are in different time zones, and when he said the first record he ever played was Ray Charles' "Crying Time," most listeners probably expected to hear a few bars. They didn't.

What they did hear was an hour with his uncle Manny Roth, longtime proprietor of the Cafe Wha? in the Village. Manny's stories about flying bombers in World War II and thinking the young Bob Dylan was a musical stiff were entertaining, though you wondered if they had maximum appeal to the under-30 males Free-FM hopes to attract.

Roth's best monologue came after he suggested that to some listeners, "freedom" on the radio means being able to curse.

He called that attitude "retard nonsense" and suggested the real problem with popular culture today is that its content is limited by what nervous parents think 12-year-olds should hear.

"I'm tired of having to behave as if we are all 12 because parents don't have the capacity to explain things" to their own kids, he said.

His guideline, he said, would be, "Do whatever you want, do it three times, but don't do it in the street and scare my horses."

David Lee Roth didn't scare anyone's horses yesterday. But he's just started the hard work of filling the corral.

Originally published on January 4, 2006

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/380043p-322529c.html

Hardly all of the reviews were scathing. And while you're paying $13 a month, plus the price of a special radio, I'll just download STERN's show for free.:)

rustoffa
01-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Maybe they'll open a coal mine in Pennsylvania soon......

Maybe a firey crash on the green belt?

Tic-Toc.........

Nickdfresh
01-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
these threads should be moved to the pen

Stern sheep need love too :)

Um, no.

diamondsgirl
01-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Um, no.

why not?

you guys aren't shearing sheep anymore?

Bored
01-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Just reporting the news. Sorry your feelings got hurt.

freak
01-06-2006, 09:54 PM

Sorry you're reduced to trolling discussion boards on a Friday night.

You're 26 years old. Shouldn't you be out trying to get laid or something?

Bored
01-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by freak
Sorry you're reduced to trolling discussion boards on a Friday night.

You're 26 years old. Shouldn't you be out trying to get laid or something?

nah I thought Id try to get over 1,000 posts and be really cool!

NATEDOG001976
01-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Those critics suck!!!

diamondsgirl
01-06-2006, 10:00 PM

who me? :D

not at all...

NATEDOG001976
01-06-2006, 10:01 PM
nah I thought Id try to get over 1,000 posts and be really cool!

Getting to 1,000 posts is cool! He let this guy in?

Bored
01-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by NATEDOG001976
Getting to 1,000 posts is cool! He let this guy in?

he let who in?and who is he? my 1,000 post will be my Visa number so everyone can buy something pretty for themselves.

J-Axe
01-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Aww jeez, there goes my sides again.

Matt White
01-08-2006, 02:09 PM
he let who in?and who is he? my 1,000 post will be my Visa number so everyone can buy something pretty for themselves.

Just try to make your 1,000th post more interesting than the 999 that preceeded it.....it won't take much effort......

Nickdfresh
01-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
why not?

you guys aren't shearing sheep anymore?

Well, check my posts in regards to "Bor(ing)" and get back to me on the "shearing" thing. I don't think threads need to be moved there for me to shear anybody...In fact, someone astutely PMed me here and told me to take it easy because I was sort of feeding the troll, he was right...

Besides, this article is a valid one. We're not Roth's "PR" dept., just knowledgeable fans that call 'em like we see 'em. I only object to this attention-whore fool starting a separate thread for each "negative article" when a member already started a thread (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31687) for such...

il_es_douche
01-08-2006, 08:22 PM
The real radio starts at 6:00 tomorrow morning. Can't wait to get back to an entertaining voice again (Stern) as opposed to a watered-down Greaseman (Roth) and a young version of Andy Rooney (Corrola). There's been a lot of commentary this week from Roth groupies (pretty much the whole "army") in terms of how any dissent from "Dave is god" should be removed, etc...Well you'll be rid of us tomorrow; we'll be back to the real entertainment and will only check in on you guys from behind a curtain once in a while because it's fun to watch the retarded party. Sniff...I'll miss you most of all blondgirl...

Nickdfresh
01-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by il_es_douche
The real radio starts at 6:00 tomorrow morning. Can't wait to get back to an entertaining voice again (Stern) as opposed to a watered-down Greaseman (Roth) and a young version of Andy Rooney (Corrola). There's been a lot of commentary this week from Roth groupies (pretty much the whole "army") in terms of how any dissent from "Dave is god" should be removed, etc...Well you'll be rid of us tomorrow; we'll be back to the real entertainment and will only check in on you guys from behind a curtain once in a while because it's fun to watch the retarded party. Sniff...I'll miss you most of all blondgirl...

Awe. Not gonna' troll anymore 'cause now you can sit around the trailer and listen to Stern all morning? What if he's still as bland as he was on terrestrial?

And try not to sound so hypocritically sanctimonious you dick bag, Roth fans didn't go Stern message board forums to preach about what an overrated has-been he is, remember, you came here.;)

Anyways, enjoy your let down tomorrow sucker.

jhale667
01-08-2006, 08:31 PM

jhale667
01-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by il_es_douche