PDA

View Full Version : DeLay Finally Gives It Up

blueturk
01-07-2006, 01:46 PM
DeLay quits bid to regain post

By Jeff Zeleny
Washington Bureau
Published January 7, 2006, 12:39 PM CST

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Tom DeLay agreed Saturday to relinquish his quest to return to power, paving the way for a fresh Republican majority leader as the party fights to maintain control of the House in the midterm election year.

"The job of majority leader and the mandate of the Republican majority are too important to be hamstrung, even for a few months, by personal distractions," DeLay said, announcing his decision in a letter to House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.).

DeLay, embattled by a congressional ethics scandal and an erosion of support from his colleagues, had vowed to keep alive his fight to return to power after he defended himself against criminal charges in Texas.

He had temporarily stepped aside as he faced a trial over allegations of laundering campaign donations.

DeLay's decision Saturday came one day after a group of House Republicans began circulating a petition calling for the election of a new leader when the House reconvenes Jan. 31.

Sponsors of the petition said it was intended to send a signal to DeLay that it was time to step aside for new, permanent House leadership.

In a letter to House Republicans, DeLay conceded he had become a distraction.

"History has proven that when House Republicans are united and focused, success follow," DeLay wrote. "While we wage these important battles, I cannot allow our adversaries to divide and distract our attention."

Hastert, a longtime ally of DeLay, had said he would not stand in the way of a new leader for the Republican House caucus. His post as the top position among House Republicans appeared secure, several members said.

The petition, launched by Reps. Jeff Flake of Arizona and Charlie Bass of New Hampshire, was the latest setback for DeLay. They sought to gather 50 signatures, which is the number required to call for a leadership election.

In the end, DeLay acted before the petition took effect. But even as he accepted the political reality of his future, DeLay defended himself against ethics allegations.

"During my time in Congress, I have always acted in an ethical manner within the rules of our body and the laws of our land. I am fully confident time will bear this out," DeLay wrote.

"However, we live in serious times and the United States House of Representatives must be focused on the job of protecting our nation and meeting the daily challenges facing the American people."

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-060107delay,1,1307362.story?coll=chi-news-hed

blueturk
01-07-2006, 02:36 PM
My fault.:o

FORD
01-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Yeah, it's a dupe. But it was worth repeating :D

But if I don't close it, certain Busheep will go menstrual on us.....