PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION BUSHEEP TROLLS!! It is now ILLEGAL for you to annoy this board.

FORD
01-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Create an e-annoyance, go to jail

By Declan McCullagh

Story last modified Mon Jan 09 04:00:00 PST 2006

Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime.

It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.

In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small favors, I guess.

This ridiculous prohibition, which would likely imperil much of Usenet, is buried in the so-called Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act. Criminal penalties include stiff fines and two years in prison.

"The use of the word 'annoy' is particularly problematic," says Marv Johnson, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union. "What's annoying to one person may not be annoying to someone else."
It's illegal to annoy

A new federal law states that when you annoy someone on the Internet, you must disclose your identity. Here's the relevant language.

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

Buried deep in the new law is Sec. 113, an innocuously titled bit called "Preventing Cyberstalking." It rewrites existing telephone harassment law to prohibit anyone from using the Internet "without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy."

To grease the rails for this idea, Sen. Arlen Specter, a Pennsylvania Republican, and the section's other sponsors slipped it into an unrelated, must-pass bill to fund the Department of Justice. The plan: to make it politically infeasible for politicians to oppose the measure.

The tactic worked. The bill cleared the House of Representatives by voice vote, and the Senate unanimously approved it Dec. 16.

There's an interesting side note. An earlier version that the House approved in September had radically different wording. It was reasonable by comparison, and criminalized only using an "interactive computer service" to cause someone "substantial emotional harm."

That kind of prohibition might make sense. But why should merely annoying someone be illegal?

There are perfectly legitimate reasons to set up a Web site or write something incendiary without telling everyone exactly who you are.

Think about it: A woman fired by a manager who demanded sexual favors wants to blog about it without divulging her full name. An aspiring pundit hopes to set up the next Suck.com. A frustrated citizen wants to send e-mail describing corruption in local government without worrying about reprisals.

In each of those three cases, someone's probably going to be annoyed. That's enough to make the action a crime. (The Justice Department won't file charges in every case, of course, but trusting prosecutorial discretion is hardly reassuring.)

Clinton Fein, a San Francisco resident who runs the Annoy.com site, says a feature permitting visitors to send obnoxious and profane postcards through e-mail could be imperiled.

"Who decides what's annoying? That's the ultimate question," Fein said. He added: "If you send an annoying message via the United States Post Office, do you have to reveal your identity?"

Fein once sued to overturn part of the Communications Decency Act that outlawed transmitting indecent material "with intent to annoy." But the courts ruled the law applied only to obscene material, so Annoy.com didn't have to worry.

"I'm certainly not going to close the site down," Fein said on Friday. "I would fight it on First Amendment grounds."

He's right. Our esteemed politicians can't seem to grasp this simple point, but the First Amendment protects our right to write something that annoys someone else.

It even shields our right to do it anonymously. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas defended this principle magnificently in a 1995 case involving an Ohio woman who was punished for distributing anonymous political pamphlets.

If President Bush truly believed in the principle of limited government (it is in his official bio), he'd realize that the law he signed cannot be squared with the Constitution he swore to uphold.

And then he'd repeat what President Clinton did a decade ago when he felt compelled to sign a massive telecommunications law. Clinton realized that the section of the law punishing abortion-related material on the Internet was unconstitutional, and he directed the Justice Department not to enforce it.

Bush has the chance to show his respect for what he calls Americans' personal freedoms. Now we'll see if the president rises to the occasion.

Copyright ©1995-2006 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.

Link (http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-annoyance%2C+go+to+jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html)

LoungeMachine
01-09-2006, 05:30 PM
That sound you hear is 90% of our members logging off now.....

LMMFAO

Whatever happened to the Republican Party that was all about "small government", reductions in federal spending, and simply bugging your opponents phones?

Stalin would be so proud of US today.....

Nickdfresh
01-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Amazing, how did they jump from "cyber-stalking" to "annoying?"

BigBadBrian
01-09-2006, 05:44 PM
FORD, you annoy me.

Log off.

:)

FORD
01-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
FORD, you annoy me.

Log off.

:)

Can't do that. I'm the authority in this forum. Even Chimpy would agree that someone has to maintain law and order http://www.jms101.btinternet.co.uk/full_sets/gold/circular_bold_std/policeman.gif

jhale667
01-09-2006, 05:55 PM
So does this mean we can have the Feds go after Tardo, Assbrush and the 12,000 Joe Blunder aliases? ;)

FORD
01-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
So does this mean we can have the Feds go after Tardo, Assbrush and the 12,000 Joe Blunder aliases? ;)

Absolutely.

jhale667
01-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Absolutely.

Outstanding! :D

diamondD
01-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Can't do that. I'm the authority in this forum. Even Chimpy would agree that someone has to maintain law and order http://www.jms101.btinternet.co.uk/full_sets/gold/circular_bold_std/policeman.gif

Even Howard Dean would agree, Dr Love is far less annoying. ;)

ODShowtime
01-09-2006, 07:55 PM
I say we sue McCarrins first. He hasn't been here in awhile, but god damn was he annoying.

Warham
01-09-2006, 09:07 PM

We know who to call if we need a thread deleted.

Nickdfresh
01-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
Even Howard Dean would agree, Dr Love is far less annoying. ;)

:mad: Hey man, you avatar thief, you've annoyed me by stealing TWONABOMBER's "Hot For Teacher" avatar (before I did).:(

diamondD
01-09-2006, 10:50 PM
LOL Saw it at the links and said I was gonna shamelessly steal it. :D

Hardrock69
01-10-2006, 02:40 PM
In the US, ISPs such as AOL are generally immune from liability under a provision in the Communications Decency Act which grants immunity from suit to those who provide material on the internet that was written by others. While most of the Communications Decency Act has been struck down as unconstitutional, this provision survives.

Got the above from this crazy story about a guy suing two other guys because they "humiliated" him in an AOL chat room....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/10/aol_sue_chatroom/

Angel
01-10-2006, 02:58 PM
I shall continue to annoy the hell out of everyone, because I am posting under my real name. :D

:angel:

LoungeMachine
01-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

Got the above from this crazy story about a guy suing two other guys because they "humiliated" him in an AOL chat room....

[/url]

As if being in an AOL chat room wasn't humiliating enough?

:D

jhale667
01-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Angel
I shall continue to annoy the hell out of everyone, because I am posting under my real name. :D

:angel:

Ditto. :D

Warham
01-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
As if being in an AOL chat room wasn't humiliating enough?

Know from personal experience?

LoungeMachine
01-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Know from personal experience?

Never.

How 'bout you?

In fact, THIS is the only forum I've ever posted in other than the 3 posts at DDLR, and 3 at Minto's site calling out Joe Thudner.

This is my "chat" home, and you are my "chat" friends.

:cool:

Warham
01-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Yep, I used to have AOL between '97 and '01.

I actually enjoyed the chat rooms. I considered it to be the best thing about AOL, because it sure wasn't the internet speed or browing capabilities that I was in love with.

FORD
01-10-2006, 05:59 PM
AOL sucked even back in the mid-80's when it was a Commodore 64/128 based online service called "Quantum Link"

BigBadBrian
01-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Never.

How 'bout you?

In fact, THIS is the only forum I've ever posted in other than the 3 posts at DDLR, and 3 at Minto's site calling out Joe Thudner.

Same here.

I don't have time to go to a dozen different sites like I used to.

I sometimes pop in on DDLR or the Links just to see READ ( or start start some shit every once in awhile :D ), but that's about it.

4moreyears
01-10-2006, 08:59 PM

Thanks Lounge. I am glad we are friends.

Phil theStalker
01-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Yeh, there are enuff mixxed nuts here t2o last f4or mmme till nexxt New Yeers.

:spank:

Nickdfresh
01-10-2006, 09:49 PM
I used to troll AOL message boards before I even knew what trolling was. I once cybered with this girl I met online in a chat room as a premeditated troll. It was great fun.:D

LoungeMachine
01-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by 4moreyears
Thanks Lounge. I am glad we are friends.

Believe it or not, sparky...I cuntsider the Cons in here friends.

We all pretty much use this place as a harmless escape from our "real lives", and you get to know and appreciate the community in here.

We've built up a rapore [sp?], and feel comfortable arguing, fighting, and sharing opinions and passions with each other.

I can't imagine trying to do this elsewhere. No time or energy.

Actually BBB, Warham, and others aren't any different from my real life friends that don't "swing left" ;)

And just like real life, certain people piss me off when they push certain buttons I have. :D

I can only think of 1-2 [thudner/assprowler] assholes in here that I wouldn't want to sit down and have a beer with.

-Kip

LoungeMachine
01-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I used to troll AOL message boards before I even knew what trolling was. I once cybered with this girl I met online in a chat room as a premeditated troll. It was great fun.:D

Hate to break it to you Nick....

But that was me. ;)

LoungeMachine
01-10-2006, 09:54 PM
AOL sucked even back in the mid-80's when it was a Commodore 64/128 based online service called "Quantum Link"

Wasn't there something back then called Prodigy?

I vaguely remember the commercials.

I remember thinking......this fad will go nowhere :D

LoungeMachine
01-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Also just read that the search engine Alta Vista could have bought Google years ago for One Million Dollars.....but turned it down.

Google today = $125 BILLION

LoungeMachine
01-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker
Yeh, there are enuff mixxed nuts here t2o last f4or mmme till nexxt New Yeers.

And you my friend are that mixed nut find we all search for......the unbroken cashew :D

4moreyears
01-10-2006, 10:06 PM

We all pretty much use this place as a harmless escape from our "real lives", and you get to know and appreciate the community in here.

We've built up a rapore [sp?], and feel comfortable arguing, fighting, and sharing opinions and passions with each other.

Actually BBB, Warham, and others aren't any different from my real life friends that don't "swing left" ;)

And just like real life, certain people piss me off when they push certain buttons I have. :D

I can only think of 1-2 [thudner/assprowler] assholes in here that I wouldn't want to sit down and have a beer with.

-Kip

I would buy yoy a beer, given the chance.

LoungeMachine
01-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by 4moreyears
I would buy yoy a beer, given the chance.

None of that shitty midwest beer though...;)

You ever come to Seattle, we'll show you what real beer tastes like.

4moreyears
01-10-2006, 10:40 PM

None of that shitty midwest beer though...;)

You ever come to Seattle, we'll show you what real beer tastes like.

Only if Ford is paying. I would find a way to write it off.

Phil theStalker
01-10-2006, 11:51 PM
I miss hitch, but he's raising kids so I can understand why the guy who turned me on t2o this board isn't here as much as I'll like t2o see him here. hitch (with a small 'h') is an awesome writer and I think he could do it f4or a living. And that all depends on the price and availability of oil.

LoungeMachine is correct, t2oo. I'm all over the web looking at message boards, and the Front Line here is the best place f4or ideas t2o be exchanged on a day-to-day basis, and in real time as things are happening.

There are enough folks frequently visiting here who are well informed and there are the trolls who like to push buttons though in a nice way, kind of like 'passive aggressive trolls'.

O1nce in a while someone obviously doesn't have the facts and o1nce in a while an 'agressive' troll shows up just t2o mess things up with what they can get away with, but all in all those t2wo types of peeps are very few here t2o none; really just a couple that I can think of.

Whereas most of the boards on the net have the majority of their members from these t2wo camps of time wasters this board has developed just the opposite group of regular posters. And there are equally as many girls as there are guys represented. The mods here don't even need t2o ban anybody, because the jerks just leave on their own.

We're all nearly famous and there is an electricity here a la our own inherent weirdness factor.

I don't know how this special group of commentors came t2ogether eggcept f4or the fact that what originally gravitaTITed us here in the fir1st place is that we are all a majority of DLR fans and VH fans, we are musicians ourselves, and, we are people with nothing else to live f4or.:D

LoungeMachine
01-11-2006, 12:04 AM
We\\ s@id Ph!L

Warham
01-11-2006, 07:47 AM
Phil, I'm impressed. I didn't need to bust out the translator to read that.

Hardrock69
01-11-2006, 11:52 AM
LOL!!!

Phil made some good points...

thome
01-11-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm not going to read all of this thread I'm doing what comes natural
running head long into the fight..

I did not make this Quote, heard many years ago -The last bastion(sp) of
Free Speech is the Internet -. It used to be Radio and as today,
Radio still is to a greater extent than newspapers or T.V.The last two
must pass thru a editor.

Sattelite seems to be the New Freedom...

The Internet is still the Free'est as it is, Me, I ,You makeing with the talk
not a DJ or Rush or Dave. We Are The speakers of the words.

As in how can you be -tried- for giving torrent files no one sells anything.

If I copy a VHS casette and give it to my friend no money changes
hands so it is a legal copy?.
If i buy a book and give it to my friend am i breaking a copyrite law ?

The ability for Napster to form a biz sharing Audio is wrong if they charge a membership due(fee) to copy said Audio.Yes /No ?

If Bush or anyone sais you cannot send a -E- Mail
to anyone.What would happen If I told Bush or whoever the
little Video monitors I see popping up above every street light is
a invation of my rite to privacy.

These Laws are a slow erosion of the Wild Wild West -The Internet-
is the new Wild Wild West and the Sheriff.......Is on patrol....
and it pisses me off..

Hardrock69
01-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Oh and going back a bit in this thread, I agree with Lounge.

Despite the fireworks in here, I view this place as a "virtual reality" escape from the real world, with a lot of cool peeps here.

Politics are just one facet of life in the modern world, and everyone has their own viewpoint. Sure we may not agree always, but were I to run into anyone from the Roth Army here I would be all for smoking some weed with them (I almost never drink beer).

jhale667
01-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Oh and going back a bit in this thread, I agree with Lounge.

Despite the fireworks in here, I view this place as a "virtual reality" escape from the real world, with a lot of cool peeps here.

Politics are just one facet of life in the modern world, and everyone has their own viewpoint. Sure we may not agree always, but were I to run into anyone from the Roth Army here I would be all for smoking some weed with them (I almost never drink beer).

Exactly, exactly...:D

scamper
01-11-2006, 02:54 PM
is this the big hug thread?

thome
01-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by scamper
is this the big hug thread?

I don't smokee no mo, but i will with anyone who i know i can trust.
Booze is my choice..

and would also buy the first round if the Roth'ites were all gathered
somewhere.I'm shure you all wouldn't switch to Tripple B&B all of the
sudden would you..?:p

Guitar Shark
01-26-2006, 07:16 PM

-Kip

Fag.