PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't Dave extend an olive branch?

Bob_R
04-03-2004, 08:48 PM
Why didn't Roth call Ed and ask for a sit down? What would it have hurt? His ego? Shit, his career is on a downward spiral. A VH reunion with him would have given his career the jolt that it needs, to say the least. It would have been great if Roth was back instead of Hagar. But, apparently Roth did nothing while Hagar gave it a shot. Ed had no reason to initiate, he does not necesarily need Roth as much as Roth needs him.

Roth was back in in '96 if he hadn't acted like an asshole. Was Ed totally blameless? I guess not. But, the thing is that Ed is the boss not Dave. Sometimes in life you just have to play the game. Roth had nothing to lose by being low profile back in '96. If you piss off the person who is thinking of hiring/rehiring you chances are you are going to lose.

In a nutshell, Roth can blame only himself.

weesfreewheelin
04-03-2004, 09:12 PM
After 96, VH had ceast to exist for me. Then, the Sam and Dave tour came to town. Sparked some new interest. About that time, I discovered the VH/DLR web community. It was somewhat comforting to find out that there was a multitude of peeps who felt exactly as I did about the whole state of affairs in this fucked up thing we called Van Halen. I also had to execpt the fact that their exist a whole different camp of fans who didn't see things as I do. Bottom line for me, I'm sick of it. I know way too much about these motherfuckers. They really never liked each other to begin with. Totally the opposite of what I thought was taking place back in the day. A fucking video illusion. What a crock of shit. Being a Roth fan, I had hoped for one more circus visit(figurative), now the only circus(literal) thats coming is gonna be led by Ronald McDonald:dork: The illusion is over for me girls. Consider myself lucky for experiencing the original incarnation. The true reason we can utter the lying dutchmans name to begin with.

MAX
04-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
But, the thing is that Ed is the boss not Dave.

That is your answer right there. I'm positive Dave would have gone in in he would have been considered an equal. You HAVE to know that Dave wouldn't go into a situation like this and just be a "hired hand" like Ace Frehley and Peter Criss ala KI$$. Unlike The Red Chunker, Dave has too much pride to crawl back with his tail in-between his legs at this point in time. He was trusting in '96 and got fucked over. Who knows about 2000?

Also, I highly doubt Dave cares anymore. He has a lust for life, having fun and doing what he wants on HIS OWN TERMS! I'd also bet my house that Dave isn't hurting for money by any means or he would sellout and kiss the Lying Dutchmen's collective lying and drunken asses!

Fuck this "reunion!" What a bore.

Bob_R
04-03-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by MAX
That is your answer right there. I'm positive Dave would have gone in in he would have been considered an equal. You HAVE to know that Dave wouldn't go into a situation like this and just be a "hired hand" like Ace Frehley and Peter Criss ala KI$$. Unlike The Red Chunker, Dave has too much pride to crawl back with his tail in-between his legs at this point in time. He was trusting in '96 and got fucked over. Who knows about 2000?

Also, I highly doubt Dave cares anymore. He has a lust for life, having fun and doing what he wants on HIS OWN TERMS! I'd also bet my house that Dave isn't hurting for money by any means or he would sellout and kiss the Lying Dutchmen's collective lying and drunken asses!

I hear ya buddy! I guess I just feel that Dave should have done more to try and get back in. I wish to God that it was him and not Hagar but that's not my fault or problem.

kennyboy
04-04-2004, 04:07 AM
Maybe Dave has tried and Eddie is just a dumbass.

Panamark
04-04-2004, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by MAX

Dude, I totally agree with you - yet again ! :)

I actually think the real reunion failed because Dave wanted equal say on everything, just like the old days. Personally I think he was well within in his rights to expect this. I think everything was going great until Dave tried to protect his equal rights.

Greenbuds
04-04-2004, 05:39 AM
Looks like Ed fucked up again. He chose Cherone instead of Dave and look what happened - he lost his record deal.

This time he chose Hagar instead of Dave and lok what's happening, nothing even sold out the first day. This will probably be the biggest dissapointment tour of this year.

Ed has lost millions for his dumb decisions and has conitnued to give Dave more and more power and leverage.

Dr. Love
04-04-2004, 05:50 AM
Yeah, Dave should get 1/4 if he ever rejoins, but back to reality...

It won't happen, and I wish Dave could have took it for one album and tour for the fans, since we all know Eddie won't do it.

Oh well.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-04-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
Why didn't Roth call Ed and ask for a sit down?

I'm not so sure that Dave didn't bro...

Big Troubles
04-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Im sure Dave tried to get back with the brothers in 2000, and Im guessing the plan was to tour soon after a full release. But Ed was prob getting Alex in one ear and Mike in another about not doing business with Dave. Dave is at the VERY LEAST 25% of Van Halen. And Ed and co. prob didn't want Dave to have any control over the product. Shame. Could've been one HELLUVA tour this year with Dave fronting it! Instead of the R rated version of VH that we want to see and hear, we will get G. "Bring the kids! Its a family affair!" Arrrrgh!

Sarge
04-04-2004, 12:05 PM
Dave has been extending the Olive branch since the late 80's
Obviously there is alot we don't know here.

BURKRUPTION
04-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Remember that they fucked Dave out of royalties. How much shit from the asshole brothers and the yes man can you take before you say " go fuck yourself."

vh1978-1984
04-04-2004, 04:53 PM
i heard rumors about 4 years ago that roth was back in the band, a whole new cd had been recorded and they were going to tour the following summer. then eddie got sick and everything fell apart. i heard this from a person that worked for eddie van halen on kshe 95 in st. louis and he said the new stuff was great and sounded like classic early van halen. anybody else heard those rumors.

Terry
04-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Why should Roth extend an olive branch?

Got a heads up for you; Eddie would be the lucky one to get Dave back in the band at this point. Roth was there from the beginning and helped build that band. He doesn't need to prove anything to Ed or kiss his ass in any shape or form.

Ed's career has taken just as much of a downward spiral as Dave's has, sales-wise. Last full-length album with Dave did 10 million plus. Last one with Hagar did 2 million plus. Van Halen 3 didn't even break a million.

Last I heard, Dave wasn't the one who spent the last 5 years in hibernation and got dropped by his record label. What kind of track record has Ed blazed lately that should make Dave take a conciliatory attitude towards him?

At best, Ed and Dave would be doing EACH OTHER a favor by putting the classic lineup together.

And no matter how well the Van Hagar reunion shows do, it won't be the Van Halen reunion people want to see. Ed bitched in 1996 about not wanting to do a nostalgia tour like KISS. Well, if he was finally gonna do it, it figures he'd be half-assed about it.

Shit, even when Ed finally decides to "sell out" as he defined it, he can't even do it with a Roth bang. Just a Hagar whimper.

Roth & Roll
04-04-2004, 07:21 PM
"Why didn't Dave extend an olive branch??"

As others have stated, Dave HAS extended the olive branch - on multiple occasions. If Eddie put HALF the effort into working out their problems that Dave did, no doubt we would be gearing up for a Van HALEN World Tour instead of yet another Van HAGAR dog and pony show.

The following fact just proves that Eddie, NOT Dave is solely responsible for a real Van HALEN reunion not happening. -

Eddie Van Halen - 1996
"It's too early to talk about a tour. We've done two new tracks with Dave and we're taking baby steps. If we were to even consider a tour, first we would have to go back into the studio, write and record a new album - until then I won't even discuss a tour. We're not a nostalgia act. That would be cheating the fans."

Funny how Eddie proves to be a total and complete hypocrite as 8 years later with Spammy, he's willing to do EXACTLY what he said he would never do with Dave.

Don't blame Dave for not "extending" the olive branch. He did so in '96 and again in '00 and got egg on his face both times.

The answer is simple. Eddie Van Halen simply does not want to work with David Lee Roth. Period.

He only did so in '96 to get rid of Sammy and drum up interest and anticipation for the release of BOVI.

tjvhou812
04-04-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by MAX

i dont know about that..dave likes to have control so does ed....if it did happen we would have been just disappointed again, becuase it wouldnt last

ALMOSTsaved
04-05-2004, 08:11 AM
"Instead of the R rated version of VH that we want to see and hear, we will get G. "Bring the kids! Its a family affair!" Arrrrgh!"

Hmmm...I was just eleven years old back in '81 when I first started listening to Van Halen. My mother took me to my first show (Fair Warning Tour). Guess it was a family affair back then too!

ELVIS
04-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Roth & Roll
The answer is simple. Eddie Van Halen simply does not want to work with David Lee Roth. Period.

He only did so in '96 to get rid of Sammy and drum up interest and anticipation for the release of BOVI.

I agree with that...

Big Troubles
04-05-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
"Instead of the R rated version of VH that we want to see and hear, we will get G. "Bring the kids! Its a family affair!" Arrrrgh!"

Hmmm...I was just eleven years old back in '81 when I first started listening to Van Halen. My mother took me to my first show (Fair Warning Tour). Guess it was a family affair back then too!

It's an expression dick-smack. Early VH was considered by all means more vulgar and r rated than today. Fuck your dumb.

Dr. Love
04-05-2004, 09:25 AM
Really? I would have considered early Van Halen PG by today's standards. I'd also consider it much more clever than most of today's work, as well.

Big Troubles
04-05-2004, 09:34 AM
are you serious? You think Sam and the crew are R rated compared to classic????????

Dr. Love
04-05-2004, 09:36 AM
I didn't say that, I said compared to modern music, which is much more explicit. I wasn't talking about Van Hagar at all. :cool:

ALMOSTsaved
04-05-2004, 09:39 AM
"It's an expression dick-smack. Early VH was considered by all means more vulgar and r rated than today. Fuck your dumb."

Fuck my dumb what? I believe the word you wanted to use was "you're" not "your"....You see, "you're" is a contraction of two words spliced together "you are." The word "your" shows ownership. I might be dumb, but I don't own it. Fucktard.

Dr. Love
04-05-2004, 09:40 AM
hey, ALMOSTsaved ... the proper use of an ellipse is three dots, not four.

Thanks. ;)

Big Troubles
04-05-2004, 09:42 AM
I would say they are more g rated today than ever before!

Dr. Love
04-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Modern music is g-rated? wha??

Big Troubles
04-05-2004, 09:44 AM
"It's an expression dick-smack. Early VH was considered by all means more vulgar and r rated than today. Fuck your dumb."

Fuck my dumb what? I believe the word you wanted to use was "you're" not "your"....You see, "you're" is a contraction of two words spliced together "you are." The word "your" shows ownership. I might be dumb, but I don't own it. Fucktard.

Umm...How can I say this without hurting your girly feelings... Ok...Let's say this slow...say it slow now....Fuck, you are dumb. that better? Like fucktard is a better use of a word. Moron.

Big Troubles
04-05-2004, 09:45 AM
Van Halen TODAY is TAME compared to what classic Van Halen WAS. Everybody understand yet, or do I have to show pictures?

Big Troubles
04-05-2004, 09:46 AM
I think I stumbled into the Sesame Street thread...Oops...

ELVIS
04-05-2004, 09:46 AM
I like pictures...

Big Troubles
04-05-2004, 09:52 AM
today. g rated

Big Troubles
04-05-2004, 09:52 AM
even more gay g rated

Big Troubles
04-05-2004, 09:58 AM
R rated and better

ALMOSTsaved
04-05-2004, 10:12 AM
I was stooping to your (ownership) level Big Troubles. I thought you'd (you would) be smart enough to know that.

Big Troubles
04-05-2004, 10:20 AM
ah ha. I see....(walking slowly backwards trying to avoid any more conversation) nice to meet you... :lol:

ALMOSTsaved
04-05-2004, 10:21 AM
I'm STILL a major DLR fan by the way.

Big Troubles
04-05-2004, 10:25 AM
I know you are. Thats why I was baffled earlier.

Today's VH is PG btw. It stands for Pig and Grunt. :lol:

ALMOSTsaved
04-05-2004, 10:34 AM
But, and this is a HUGE but, I still like Eddie Van Halen. I guess I just had closure 20 years ago when it all ended. I was excited in '96, but it was one of those things that I knew was too good to last.

Last night I listened to "Me Wise Magic"...I thought all 4 members performed wonderfully on that song. I thought back to when I saw them on the MTV Awards and how excited I was. But when it didn't come to pass, I didn't feel disappointed. Nor was I surprised. I was just indifferent.

firtle
04-05-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I agree with that...

I think thats bull .If you read the article that Mikey put out on the VH website, Ed was really pleased with what happened with Roth.

What I read about the reunion in 2000 was that lawyers got in the way, plus Ed got sick.

I couldn't agree more that a VH tour with Dave on lead vox would be amazing, but there is a big enough audience to want Sammy in the band. Dave is a real divider because of schtick, ego etc., whereas people don't usually have an opinion about Sammy. Its only ardent VH pre-85 fans that bash Sammy in the main.

I believe in the magic of Dave's voice over Ed's guitar, Mikes vocals and Alex's neckbrace.

Big Troubles
04-05-2004, 10:40 AM
I was upset. I was upset at both of them for acting like assholes and not making this work, you know. I was mad because Ed was more or less leading Dave on and dicking around behind the scenes. I was also mad at dave for not putting others and other things first before him and the spotlight. Dave did act kinda foolish and that scored him no points with the band, but scored major with the audience and me. I love the hip swivel thing. LOL I think Dave was happy to be back and I think Ed seen the HUGE reaction Dave got, and that prob took the attention of the rest of the group, which is basically what led to them splitting in 85. I love Me Wise Magic, and CGTSNM. Both tunes for me were dead on. But I aslo thought with those songs they played it safe. Slow enough to keep it sounding good, ya know. Id like to see them re-unite, and Im sure it will happen because that is, ultimately, what the fans want and deserve, and Ed knows that. I just hope they dont wait too long. Nobody lives forever.

Sammy Who??
04-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Roth rules over Hagar but Hagar is smarter. Dave was a dick getting lawyers involved in 2000. that's not the route to go. that's not friendship and shows no trust. no matter what Eddie Van Liar did or said

:donkey:

Big Troubles
04-05-2004, 10:44 AM
Id get lawyers involved too, if I thought I was being swindled...Ed brought that on. Plus we dont know if it was Dave or Ed who got lawyers involved. No guesses here. Just the facts man.

ALMOSTsaved
04-05-2004, 10:54 AM
So true about the "no one lives forever" analogy. The thought of one of them passing on before a reunion could happen REALLY bothers me. I'm sure the living ones would live with regret until they checked out.

Big Troubles
04-05-2004, 11:01 AM
yup thats my fear. Hope they think the same way. Im guessing it's Ed or Dave. Although Dave is my God, so I dunno. Could live forever. I pic Ed OverDosing on something ala Belushi. Dave I picture fucking a few girls to death. LOL

Sammy Who??
04-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Id get lawyers involved too, if I thought I was being swindled...Ed brought that on. Plus we dont know if it was Dave or Ed who got lawyers involved. No guesses here. Just the facts man.

yea man we don't know spit.

Big Troubles
04-05-2004, 11:06 AM
'tis true. Maybe it was Alex and Mikey that got lawyers involved. I dont know how many times Ive read that both Mike and Alex have grown to hate Dave over the years compared to Ed's dislike. Ed just wants the attention. Alex and Mike have a hardon for Sam. And Dave just wants to rock n roll. Is that so fucking hard Van Halen? C'Mon! Ok Im getting angry... Hey if you get a chance DaveisKing deserves a vote if you wouldn't mind. He's said something pretty cool in the "should gays get married" thread.

firtle
04-05-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
'tis true. Maybe it was Alex and Mikey that got lawyers involved. I dont know how many times Ive read that both Mike and Alex have grown to hate Dave over the years compared to Ed's dislike. Ed just wants the attention. Alex and Mike have a hardon for Sam. And Dave just wants to rock n roll. Is that so fucking hard Van Halen? C'Mon! Ok Im getting angry... Hey if you get a chance DaveisKing deserves a vote if you wouldn't mind. He's said something pretty cool in the "should gays get married" thread.

The thing that gets me is that BO Vol 1 should have been 77-84 with the 2 new songs from Dave. Becaause BO Vol 2 .. what is it going to have on it? I bet that we get Jump and Panama... etc

L.S.D.
04-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Michael Anthony, who alot of fans claim as the unung hero, has even said that he was "very against" dlr joing again in '96, when it seemed a go.

L.S.D.
04-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Why should Roth extend an olive branch?

Got a heads up for you; Eddie would be the lucky one to get Dave back in the band at this point. Roth was there from the beginning and helped build that band. He doesn't need to prove anything to Ed or kiss his ass in any shape or form.

Ed's career has taken just as much of a downward spiral as Dave's has, sales-wise. Last full-length album with Dave did 10 million plus. Last one with Hagar did 2 million plus. Van Halen 3 didn't even break a million.

Last I heard, Dave wasn't the one who spent the last 5 years in hibernation and got dropped by his record label. What kind of track record has Ed blazed lately that should make Dave take a conciliatory attitude towards him?

At best, Ed and Dave would be doing EACH OTHER a favor by putting the classic lineup together.

And no matter how well the Van Hagar reunion shows do, it won't be the Van Halen reunion people want to see. Ed bitched in 1996 about not wanting to do a nostalgia tour like KISS. Well, if he was finally gonna do it, it figures he'd be half-assed about it.

Shit, even when Ed finally decides to "sell out" as he defined it, he can't even do it with a Roth bang. Just a Hagar whimper.

hey jackass, these shows are seeling out and they are adding 2nd dates in 4 cities as i write this.

Big Troubles
04-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Anybody else smell a Sam Fagar fan in here? Yeah, I thought so too. LSD...Go throw your panties in the links, ok?

ALMOSTsaved
04-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Although the Hagar songs don't hold up as well as the classic Dave era Van Halen, I don't hate the guy. If Eddie Van Halen offered me the job to sing (which I cannot) I'd take the gig. I can't fault Sammy for seizing the opportunity.

My question is, where are the Lawyers that through the wrench in the 2000 reunion with Dave?

Dave and Sammy both wrote lyrics to existing music pieces by Eddie. I am constantly wondering what songs like "Dreams" and other keyboard laced songs would have sounded like with Dave's voice and lyrics. I also wonder if or when Dave hears those songs, if he comes up with lyrics in his head of how he would have done it.

Guess I have too much time on my hands.

ALMOSTsaved
04-05-2004, 11:42 AM
I meant to say "Where are the Lawyers that THREW the wrench in the 2000 reunion with Dave." Too many beers this weekend. I'm dying here.

firtle
04-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Although the Hagar songs don't hold up as well as the classic Dave era Van Halen, I don't hate the guy. If Eddie Van Halen offered me the job to sing (which I cannot) I'd take the gig. I can't fault Sammy for seizing the opportunity.

My question is, where are the Lawyers that through the wrench in the 2000 reunion with Dave?

Dave and Sammy both wrote lyrics to existing music pieces by Eddie. I am constantly wondering what songs like "Dreams" and other keyboard laced songs would have sounded like with Dave's voice and lyrics. I also wonder if or when Dave hears those songs, if he comes up with lyrics in his head of how he would have done it.

Guess I have too much time on my hands.

Its songs like Source Of Infection that really rile me. Its like Hot FOr Teachers hidden away institutionalized retard bitch slapped cousin. Hagar butchered it. My theory is that like Ed said in many early interviews, he could play what he liked and Dave could come up with a vocal melody line.

Thats genius.

Then you have the genius guitar work.

Put those elements together.. you get unique music.

Its not Hagars fault he can't do that. Its also not his fault he is frankly not as intelligent as Dave.

Sammy has a different working relationship with Ed, for the most part there was no friction. I have a feeling that especially around Fair Warning Ed was trying to play stuff that Dave just couldn't sing over. I don't think the songs would have nearly been the same had Dave still been in the band. Its where the magic came from with Vai, but I don't like Vai's playing as much, its far too cold and clinical if technically more impressive (though Ed wrote the book for alot of it).

I really think Ed and Dave are like idiot savants. No "normal" social skills - interestingly they both seem at opposite points on the scale - Ed would rather be anonymous, and Dave.. well, he has enough quotes for it. But put them together and boom!

Just my $0.02

perticelli
04-06-2004, 02:29 PM
you would probably have something to stand on when you say it should be 25% for each member if dave came back. the only problem with that is that ,originally, dave left. on his own.
He felt the grass was going to be greener elsewhere, and he's entitled to that opinion. but hes also got to accept the consequences. VH moved on and did very well, and it was still Eddie who captained the ship. Then, years later, after dave's career was in the toilet he expects to be treated equally, as if nothing ever happened. That's absurd.And you're right about it being too much pride, as well as just plain stupidity. CUt off your nose to spite your face. Pride has brought many a man, far greater than DLR, to their knees. He is not immune to the consequences.

And i love dave. as i said before, i was devastated when he quit and it took a while to move on. But i realized Ed started it all, worked it all and has stayed the main force through it all. IF dave was ctruly confident in his place in the bands history, he would say, "yessir" to ed, the record an album with them and rip it up on stage...and go forward, adding more credence to the idea that dave was the king for VH frontmen.
unfortunately, dave is blinded by pride.

Bob_R
04-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by perticelli
you would probably have something to stand on when you say it should be 25% for each member if dave came back. the only problem with that is that ,originally, dave left. on his own.
He felt the grass was going to be greener elsewhere, and he's entitled to that opinion. but hes also got to accept the consequences. VH moved on and did very well, and it was still Eddie who captained the ship. Then, years later, after dave's career was in the toilet he expects to be treated equally, as if nothing ever happened. That's absurd.And you're right about it being too much pride, as well as just plain stupidity. CUt off your nose to spite your face. Pride has brought many a man, far greater than DLR, to their knees. He is not immune to the consequences.

And i love dave. as i said before, i was devastated when he quit and it took a while to move on. But i realized Ed started it all, worked it all and has stayed the main force through it all. IF dave was ctruly confident in his place in the bands history, he would say, "yessir" to ed, the record an album with them and rip it up on stage...and go forward, adding more credence to the idea that dave was the king for VH frontmen.
unfortunately, dave is blinded by pride.

EXCELLENT POST!!

Terry
04-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by L.S.D.
hey jackass, these shows are seeling out and they are adding 2nd dates in 4 cities as i write this.

Hey jackass, you missed the point.

Doesn't matter how many tickets Van Hagar sells. It still won't be the Van Halen reunion people want.

Try reading a post before you respond, then maybe you won't come off like a dimwit.