PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana Purchase, PT. Deux

Big Train
01-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Way to go Ray Nagin...selling your people out, but for a fantastic amount of money...

This guy is a better "NEO-CON" then most of us legit ones..

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-rebuild12jan12,0,1896233.story?coll=la-home-headlines

A Will-to-Rebuild Deadline Proposed for New Orleans

A $12-billion buyout is planned if residents don't stake a convincing claim in four months.

NEW ORLEANS — Mayor C. Ray Nagin's commission to revive this city on Wednesday proposed that residents of the districts most heavily damaged by Hurricane Katrina get four months to demonstrate strong support for rebuilding their neighborhoods or face the possibility of having to sell to the government.

The proposal, a centerpiece of the mayor's "Bring New Orleans Back" recovery effort, drew outrage from residents and community activists, who argued that many citizens — especially the African Americans who predominated the flood-struck areas — might be forced out of the city for good.

By allowing residents to help determine their neighborhood's fate, the Nagin commission hoped to defuse a flashpoint in the debate over how to restore the ravaged city: Should all of New Orleans be rebuilt, or should low-lying neighborhoods be returned to wetlands and green space that would serve as a natural barrier against floods?

The vast swath of the city in question — which includes parts of the Gentilly, Mid-City, Lakeview and Lower 9th Ward neighborhoods — represents about half of New Orleans. If residents could not reach a consensus to rebuild, city planners would shrink the footprint of New Orleans.

"None of us want to be in this particular place, but Katrina has forced us to take a good, hard look at what we need to do to rebuild our city," Nagin said. "The realities are that we will have limited resources to redevelop our city…. The other reality is this report is controversial. It pushes the edge of the envelope. It probably says some things to some people they are probably misinterpreting."

Despite Nagin's effort to ease tensions, residents across racial and class lines lashed out Wednesday at what they considered a land grab engineered by the city's elite. Much of their ire was heaped on New Orleans developer Joseph C. Canizaro, a key architect of the plan, whose name elicited boos from the standing-room-only auditorium crowd.

"How many people from my backyard are up there?" Harvey Bender, a laid-off city maintenance worker from eastern New Orleans, yelled at the officials. "I'm ready to rebuild and I'm not letting you take mine," he said. "I'm going to fight, whatever it takes, to rebuild my property. It's going to be baby Iraq for Joe Canizaro."

Under the plan — which can go forward with Nagin's approval — New Orleans would impose a moratorium Jan. 20 on building permits in the areas hardest hit by Katrina's floodwaters. Residents then would have to demonstrate there was sufficient critical mass in their area to rebuild to warrant public investment in schools and city facilities, possibly by showing that half of the population planned to come back.

To accelerate the process, Nagin's commission is asking the Federal Emergency Management Agency to release updated flood plain maps, which could effectively make the decision for many homeowners by raising home insurance rates and setting other new financial barriers to redevelopment.

Neighborhoods that failed to meet the critical-mass test would be shrunk or eliminated altogether; a new city agency called the Crescent City Redevelopment Corp. then would buy out residents or seize their properties through eminent domain. The estimated cost of the buyouts: $12 billion.

Federal legislation introduced by Rep. Richard H. Baker (R-La.) proposes to reimburse homeowners 60% of their pre-Katrina equity. The Nagin commission plan would go further, compensating displaced homeowners the remaining 40% with federal community development block grant money and FEMA funding.

But that federal funding, like many other elements of the ambitious plan, ultimately would need the support of Congress and President Bush — who is scheduled to make a public appearance in New Orleans today and meet with the co-chairman of Nagin's commission, healthcare executive Maurice L. Lagarde III.

"We respect the rights of all citizens to return to their neighborhoods," Lagarde said, casting the four-month process, set to end May 20, as an opportunity for residents to control the future of their communities.

The commission's blueprint to revive New Orleans also includes proposals to address issues that have nothing to do with Katrina.

An education subcommittee wants to radically reorganize the city's school system, which has been plagued by corruption and low academic performance. The proposal would decentralize governing authority, giving principals greater authority over their schools and neighborhoods more say over management of schools in their area.

A cultural subcommittee is proposing the creation of a jazz district near the French Quarter — at the former location of Storyville, a fabled neighborhood of musicians and houses of prostitution that thrived at the turn of the last century but fell into disrepair and was eventually demolished. The idea to re-create a cleaned-up version of Storyville, which gave rise to such musical legends as Jelly Roll Morton, Manuel Perez and Joe "King" Oliver, was championed by committee member and Pulitzer Prize-winning jazz virtuoso Wynton Marsalis, a leading member of one of New Orleans' current musical dynasties, the Marsalis clan.

Meanwhile, an infrastructure subcommittee is proposing a $3.3-billion light-rail system. The stops would be planned alongside clusters of new development, and the slightly elevated rail lines would form an internal barrier against floodwaters.

But the plan to give residents four months to show their neighborhoods could come back accounts for most of the overall blueprint's $17-billion price tag — and generated the most passionate response Wednesday.

"Over my dead body," said Lower 9th Ward resident Caroline Parker, vowing to fight government seizure of her property. "Like I said, I didn't die with Katrina."

Some critics, who had complained all along that Nagin's commission was stacked with developers and other business leaders, said the proposal was proof that the mayor was allowing moneyed interests to draw up the reconstruction, to the detriment of the city's working poor.

"To us, that's Katrina cleansing — the removal of blacks from the city," said Mtangulizi Sanyika of the African American Leadership Project, a group that organized a summit of black community leaders today to discuss alternative plans to revive all of New Orleans.

The summit is part of a series of events planned for the upcoming Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekend that will bring African American religious and political leaders from across the country, including Minister Louis Farrakhan of the Nation of Islam, to New Orleans to illuminate the plight of the city's displaced black citizens.

Committee members stressed Wednesday that their blueprint envisioned room for all New Orleans residents who wanted to come back to the city, and would accommodate them in part by redeveloping other parts of town, including some existing public housing projects. About 144,000 residents have returned to New Orleans, which had a population of 462,000 before the hurricane. Officials estimate about 250,000 people will return by fall 2008.

"You who boo need to be active, and tell us what you dislike," Canizaro told the audience. It did not need encouragement.

Roth_Rage
01-12-2006, 05:09 PM
I called it. I told that to several people when we were out there pulling people out. I knew then that they would buy out everyone. I bet they don't even get good compensation either.

Only 4 months and How much of that $12 billion you think will actually goto the buyouts? HA! I bet most of that goes to that 'Storyville' recreation, rail project, and pockets of 'elected' servants.

I am fuming! :wow2:

Big Train
01-13-2006, 09:12 AM
You mean to tell me NONE of you libs have ANYTHING to say about Nagin selling out his own people wholesale?

C,mon Ford, at least tell me this story is bullshit, not from a legit source...give me something to work with.

FORD
01-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Like I said in another thread, there are no Liberals in Louisiana.

McCarrens
01-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Ford, there are LOTS of liberals in Louisiana.

They're just showing you how foolish the party is and you can't take that, so you won't admit they're liberal.

It's the equivalent of a child shoving his finger in his ears, stomping up and down and yelling, "I can't can't hear you!"

DLR'sCock
01-13-2006, 12:33 PM
I knew this fucking bullshit would happen, and i called it as I watched New Orleans fall as well. Nagin is a sellout bullshit artist.

Push out the poor blacks, bring in the rich white investors and corporations.

FORD
01-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by McCarrens

They're just showing you how foolish the party is and you can't take that, so you won't admit they're liberal.

It's the equivalent of a child shoving his finger in his ears, stomping up and down and yelling, "I can't can't hear you!"

Mary Landrieu votes with the goddamn neocon shitbags every single fucking time. So did that Oil owned bastard John Breaux. Where are the Liberals?

Nickdfresh
01-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
You mean to tell me NONE of you libs have ANYTHING to say about Nagin selling out his own people wholesale?

C,mon Ford, at least tell me this story is bullshit, not from a legit source...give me something to work with.

By his "own people", do mean Americans? I mean they were already sold out by their gov'ts and FEMA, so it would be a cruel blow.

And yes, NAGIN is making a big mistake in ripping the cultural heritage and soul out of New Orleans, or at lest collaborating in the effort. But he's far from the only one that wants to remake New Orleans into a souless dumping ground of yuppies, in fact he may have little choice in the matter.....

Nickdfresh
01-13-2006, 12:53 PM

It's my general experience that anyone that liberally throws around the "liberal," as if their in some cataclysmic societal struggle has severe emotional problems....

McCarrens
01-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Governor Blanco -- Liberal
Mayor Nagin -- Liberal

Originally posted by FORD
Mary Landrieu votes with the goddamn neocon shitbags every single fucking time. So did that Oil owned bastard John Breaux. Where are the Liberals?

Both senators you mentioned are Democrat.
Governor Blanco -- Democrat
Mayor Nagin -- Democrat
Two of the five congressman are democrats.

That seems to be a pretty liberal-dominated state to me...

FORD
01-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Mayor Nagin -- Liberal

Mayor Nagin -- Democrat

"Democrat" does not mean "Liberal".

Maybe it SHOULD, and this country would be much better off if it DID (as we might have a true balance at some point) but the fact is that the DLC is nothing but a bunch of neocon shitbags who infiltrated the Democratic Party with the intention of bringing it down from within. Breaux and Landrieu are both members, as is Blanco. Not sure about Nagin, but he definitely fits the profile.

Hillary Clinton is another big time member of this fraudulent cult. So is Holy Joe Lieberman. And that raving lunatic Zell Miller.

Not a single Liberal in the bunch.

Angel
01-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Thank God for Canadians like Frank Stronach. Nagin should take a page out of his book.

Canadaville:
Donating a village to Louisiana

CBC News Online | Dec. 16, 2005

Hurricane Katrina hit the U.S. Gulf coast in late August 2005, devastating the city of New Orleans, La. The storm surge breached the levees protecting the "Big Easy" and left huge areas partially submerged in filthy water. The worst-hit area was the city's Lower Ninth Ward – home to some of New Orleans's poorest residents. With their homes and most of their jobs washed away and little prospect of any quick improvement in their situation, thousands of people were facing a bleak future indeed.

That was Frank Stronach's cue. The Austrian-Canadian billionaire chairman of auto-parts giant Magna International offered to put up more than 200 Katrina evacuees in dorm rooms at a racetrack training facility his company owns in Florida. That gesture alone would have been noteworthy; Stronach and Magna, after all, have no links to Louisiana. But there was more.

Stronach then offered to spend $10 million to relocate the Katrina evacuees to another part of Louisiana and build them homes where they could live at no charge.

The new community that arose from that remarkable act has been dubbed Canadaville. Its first residents moved in Dec. 13.

What does the Canadaville development consist of?

The project is on about 320 hectares of land (800 acres) Stronach bought near Simmesport, La., a Cajun town of 2,200 people about an hour inland from Baton Rouge. The town is half-white, half-black, and about a third of its residents live below the poverty line.

The first phase of the development includes 49 three-bedroom mobile homes, complete with furniture, central air conditioning and porches, front and back. A recreational centre will include areas for basketball and soccer. Stronach is also paying for a new police station and three new police cars.

Canadaville has a capacity of 280 "guests," as the evacuees are called. The first group to move in numbers about 120.

There are plans to build an organic farm to produce chickens, hogs, Angus beef cattle and organic vegetables. Stronach predicts the farm will be profitable within five years.

Canadaville, in short, is meant to be a kind of self-sustaining model community.

What is expected of the residents?

Canadaville's residents will be allowed to stay rent free for up to five years. If they can't find jobs in the area on their own, they will be expected to work on the farm. Each resident is also expected to perform some community service. Eventually, most will likely return to the New Orleans area to try to pick up their lives. Any homes that they leave behind will be turned over to the Red Cross so the charity can use them for others who need housing. But some residents say they have no intention of going back to the "Big Easy," and hope to stay in Canadaville for years.

Who else has helped the Canadaville effort?

While Stronach has footed most of the bills, the effort has been supported by plenty of donations and volunteers. Nineteen Canadian carpenters went to Louisiana in November to donate their time and expertise by building the wood porches on the homes. The evacuees got free flights from Air Canada. The village was designed by the Toronto-based architectural firm Giffels/NORR. Other help was provided by the Canadian Auto Workers union, the Canadian Red Cross, St. John Ambulance Canada, employees of various Magna companies and many Louisiana residents.

What was the reaction in Simmesport?

There was some hostility. The majority of town councillors was initially against the proposal. Mobile home parks are often a hard sell at the best of times. And this one would be home to people from an especially poor and crime-ridden part of New Orleans. Would these streetwise transplants adapt to rural life? Would they cause trouble?

Some are skeptical that anyone would want to spend millions in an act of generosity unless he eventually expected something big in return. Others don't like that the Canadian flag is flying alongside the U.S. flag.

But local politicians and many of Simmesport's residents were won over as the new village created work and Stronach suggested that he may build a small manufacturing facility nearby for his company.

New Orleans newspaper columnist John Maginnis said the folks around Simmesport are "so bowled over" by the Canadaville project that many have put aside their initial objections.

"Oh, Canadaville, would that your spirit find its way into the hearts of more Louisiana communities," he wrote.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/forcesofnature/canadaville.html

blueturk
01-13-2006, 07:18 PM

If Nagin's stupid ass is representative of all liberals, does that mean that Dubya's stupidity and greed are representative of all conservatives?

FORD
01-13-2006, 07:23 PM
God bless Mr Stronach. And the other Hosers who helped him.

blueturk
01-13-2006, 07:38 PM
On his way to a $4,000,000 fund raiser, the Imperial King Of The Conservatives stopped in New Orleans ( for the first time in 3 months) and hung out with guess who? Nagin. These assholes deserve each other.

In New Orleans, Bush Speaks With Optimism but Sees Little of Ruin

By ELISABETH BUMILLER
Published: January 13, 2006

NEW ORLEANS, Jan. 12 - President Bush made his first trip here in three months on Thursday and declared that New Orleans was "a heck of a place to bring your family" and that it had "some of the greatest food in the world and some wonderful fun."

Evan Vucci/Associated Press

President Bush and Mayor C. Ray Nagin of New Orleans attended a meeting Thursday with the city's political and business leaders.
Mr. Bush spent his brief visit in a meeting with political and business leaders on the edge of the Garden District, the grand neighborhood largely untouched by the floodwaters of Hurricane Katrina, and saw little devastation. He did not go into the city's hardest-hit areas or to Jackson Square, where several hundred girls from the Academy of the Sacred Heart staged a protest demanding stronger levees.

Mr. Bush's motorcade did pass some abandoned neighborhoods as it traveled on Interstate 10 into the city.

"It may be hard for you to see, but from when I first came here to today, New Orleans is reminding me of the city I used to come to visit," the president told the local leaders at the Convention and Visitors Bureau, an independent group set up to attract business and tourism to the city.

Mr. Bush added that "for folks around the country who are looking for a great place to have a convention, or a great place to visit, I'd suggest coming here to the great New Orleans."

Mr. Bush, who appeared to be trying to spread optimism in a city that is years away from recovery, did not tell the group or the city's residents what many were hoping to hear: that he would commit the federal government to building the strongest possible levees, a Category 5 storm protection system.

Instead, on a day when the Bush administration revised the deficit upward to more than $400 billion and blamed it largely on Hurricane Katrina, Mr. Bush restated his support for spending $3.1 billion of federal money on building "stronger and better" levees.

Local engineers say those levees would protect against the 100-mile-an-hour winds of a Category 2 hurricane and the low barometric pressure of a Category 3 or weak Category 4 storm. Hurricane Katrina peaked as a Category 5 storm in the Gulf of Mexico and hit land as a Category 3 storm.

The president ignored questions about the city's new rebuilding plan, introduced Wednesday night to enormous community criticism, and White House officials traveling with Mr. Bush declined to offer opinions. The plan, which depends on nearly $17 billion more from the federal government, gives neighborhoods in low-lying parts of the city from four months to a year to attract sufficient numbers of residents or be bulldozed.

The federal government has so far authorized $85 billion in relief to the Gulf Coast, with $25 billion spent.

"We're not going to weigh in," Donald E. Powell, the president's Gulf Coast recovery coordinator, told reporters on Air Force One on Thursday morning. "It will be their plan."

In the meeting at the Convention and Visitors Bureau, Mr. Bush sat between Mayor C. Ray Nagin and Lt. Gov. Mitchell J. Landrieu. Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco, the Democrat with whom Mr. Bush has a chilly relationship, was in The Netherlands looking at the country's flood-control system.

Scott McClellan, the White House press secretary, said that the president had not deliberately timed his visit on a day when Ms. Blanco was not in town, and that the White House had reached out to her but she had a scheduling conflict.

Ms. Blanco's press secretary, Denise Bottcher, said that Ms. Blanco would be returning to New Orleans on Thursday night, just hours after the president left the city, and that she was "disappointed" she had missed his visit.

From New Orleans, Mr. Bush traveled to Waveland and Bay St. Louis in Mississippi, where he viewed destruction along the Gulf Coast. He then headed for Palm Beach, Fla., for a closed-door $4 million fund-raiser for the Republican National Committee and Republican candidates at the home of Dwight Schar, a homebuilder and a co-owner of the Washington Redskins.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/13/politics/13bush.html

Nickdfresh
01-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Mayor Nagin -- Liberal

Mayor Nagin -- Democrat

Yeah, who was in control of the immense resources of the Federal Gov't and FEMA at the time?

Yeah, I thought so...

Warham
01-13-2006, 11:07 PM
You guys were defending Nagin not too long ago...

Nickdfresh
01-13-2006, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Warham
You guys were defending Nagin not too long ago...

And you're still defending BUSH, and his former appointee, that BROWN fucktard...

Warham
01-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Nick, would you please quote any thread here where I defended Brown. I don't even think I've mentioned his name once.

As for Bush, I'll defend him when I think he needs to be defended.

Big Train
01-14-2006, 02:54 AM
All I'm saying is the Democratic party is being very quiet on this potential PR disaster. Republicans are the bad guys, let's not mess up the script.

I guess now that they officiall y made themselves look as powerless as schoolchildren with Alito, this isn't going to help.

Nickdfresh
01-14-2006, 07:17 AM
All I'm saying is the Democratic party is being very quiet on this potential PR disaster. Republicans are the bad guys, let's not mess up the script.

I guess now that they officially made themselves look as powerless as schoolchildren with Alito, this isn't going to help.

That's not exactly true. I've heard this issue reported on by NPR, like in fall, and they talked about how MAGIN was allowing it. But corporate entities are taking advantage of this way to remake the "Big Easy" into white bread condos, and a cogressional Republicans that have appropriated bills for New ORLEAN's construction that include provisions for rolling back "New DEAL" policies aimed at preserving and providing a living wage for working class people, such as "premium prevailing wage" and other benefits. There are many to blame for this sacrilege...

Big Train
01-14-2006, 10:39 AM
I agree there are many people to blame, most on my side of the fence. This whole thing interest me because it is an African American selling out an African American, only a scale rarely seen.

LoungeMachine
01-14-2006, 10:46 AM

This guy is a better "NEO-CON" then most of us legit ones..

Us LEGIT ones....

Three times in the past I've referred to you as a Neo-Con and you've gotten your panties in a twist each time screaming you're NOT a Neo-con :D

LMMFAO

This is priceless.

NO/LA got screwed with their pants on by the WH and FEMA, but I'm not defending Nagin or anyone else until I read more of this story and thread.....

But I could NOT let BT coming out of the Neo-Con Shitbag closet go unnoticed..:D

I think you've just bumped Warren out of my sig with that one, BT

:cool:

Big Train
01-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Obviously Lounge, I am joking.

What I mean is that us "legit" ones, meaning those who have been labeled such by people like you and Ford. I don't subscribe to any of that stuff. I'm not getting the newsletter.

But whatever, your gonna think what your gonna think anyway...

Big Train
01-14-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm still waiting to hear what Kanye West has to say about this.

What are the chances of him saying "Ray Nagin hates blacks too"? Remote...

Angel
01-16-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm still waiting to hear what Kanye West has to say about this.

What are the chances of him saying "Ray Nagin hates blacks too"? Remote...

Good point. Nagin's a fucking oreo, no doubt about that!