• Show
Clear All
  • Bored
    Groupie
    • Jan 2006

Press Pans Roth's Radio Bow

Press Pans Roth's Radio Bow

By Chuck Taylor

The reviews are in: Diamond Dave, it appears, is not forever.

David Lee Roth’s first broadcast on Jan. 3 as CBS Radio’s East Coast successor to Howard Stern was blasted by numerous newspapers, who went so far as to predict his demise before mid-year.

Roth's new morning show is airing in New York, Boston and Philadelphia, among others.

“Something was missing: humor,” wrote the New York Post’s John Mainelli. “Missing was a sense of adventure, irreverence, topicality and wacky anarchy.” He criticized Roth for riffing at length on such “gloomy” topics as the World Trade Center site, radio censorship and his career as a paramedic.

David Hinckley of the New York Daily News was less biting, though he said that Roth’s bow “didn’t immediately find its rhythm,” adding that he “proved that, if necessary, he can talk for four hours. We never doubted that, of course, and as skills go, it’s not a bad start toward becoming a successful radio host.”

The Boston Herald offered, "The most shocking thing about Roth's debut was how the former Van Halen frontman chose to neither shock nor awe his new listeners." Writer Sean McCarthy called the show "slow out of the gate."

AM New York, a free commuter newspaper, plastered Roth on its cover Jan. 4, with the stinker headline, “No sparkle yet for Diamond Dave: Replacing Stern, Roth fizzles in radio debut.”

Writer Michael Clancy led his piece with, “If Diamond Dave’s first show is any hint, start the death watch for David Lee Roth’s dalliance in morning talk radio.

“The former Van Halen frontman may not even make it to the summer unless he learns his way around a radio microphone, and fast," Clancy said. "The show's content and execution was so amateurish that it sounded more like a demo tape than a polished piece of morning drive-time radio." He also complained that Roth was "surrounded by an annoying cast of chuckling Morning Zoo-type characters."

All three newspapers criticized the ramblings of Roth's Uncle Manny, proprietor of legendary nightclub Cafe Wha? in the city's West Village. The 90-minute gabfest was plagued by the 88-year-old's frequent stumbling and occasional forgetfulness.

The popular New York Radio Message Board was splattered with a free-for-all of criticism, calling Roth "lame" and deeming the show "amateur hour."

The New York Post allowed that such harsh criticism one day into the new high-profile gig may need tempering, quoting media buyer Jerry Levy: "It didn't go as smoothly as anticipated from the buildup, but you're dealing with a guy who's never done radio before. Stern is a tough — if not impossible — act to follow. You have to give it a little time to see how it shakes out."
    Billboard
  • Jimmy Jingles
    Veteran
    • Mar 2004

Bored....eat my nuts.
    23. That's the number of people Mr. T has pitied in the time it has taken you to read this sentence.

Comment

• Jimmy Jingles
      Veteran
      • Mar 2004

So the fuck what if he is getting bad reviews.

Do you think Stern always got glowing reviews when he first started? HELL FUCKING N to the O!

Bottom line is that I, along with most other people here, think he is funny and entertaining and I could give a rat's fucking ass what you or some pompous anal plower from Billboard magazine thinks!

I hope you feel better about yourself fag britches.

No go eat a turd.
      23. That's the number of people Mr. T has pitied in the time it has taken you to read this sentence.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

How's your life going Attention WHORED? Does posting (only the most) negative ROTH reviews while ignoring the even slightly less-than-luke-warm reviews make it all better? You claim to subscribe to a news site, yet you skipped two major articles from real newspapers that were not negative in their totality toward DAVE, or took shots at HOWARD. Must be difficult sitting in the trailer without getting to hear STERN...

Comment

• fuckhowardstern
          Commando
          • Nov 2005

It doesn't bother me that Dave is getting some bad reviews. Plenty of entertainers have received bad reviews and gone on to tremendous commercial success. What should annoy me is that this faggot is getting some kind of perverse enjoyment out of spending hours combing the internet looking for the reviews and starting a new thread each time he finds one.

But that is his goal. To annoy us and provoke us. We should all just simply ignore him. Then he will come back as yet another alias and try it again and again until he eventually realizes that he will have to find another site on which to post so he can wack his micro-phallus into his dirty sock while he lurks.

Comment

• moose
            Veteran
            • Mar 2004

What a fucking nimrod.

Comment

• thome
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Mar 2005

adding that he “proved that, if necessary, he can talk for four hours. We never doubted that, of course, and as skills go, it’s not a bad start toward becoming a successful radio host.”

Isn't this all you need anyway.
              Besides understanding some of how the Audio board works.

Some extra perks from Daves Show...

1.Live guitar from one of the greats.

2.Daves unique style of possitive expression of Ideas.

3.No fart jokes.

4.Excellent background music playing durring show.

5.No dirty giggling from Stern Lapdogs.

6.Topics other than -Farts are funny-.

I'll ad more as the show progresses so far this is a good start.

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Hey, Booooooooring!
                Originally posted by conmee
                If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                Originally posted by eddie78
                I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• rustoffa
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Hey Bored, the threadathon is getting old. I don't care about your motivation, real or imagined. Try to keep your enthusiasm in say....one or two threads. Come on dude, you gotta admit the angle comes off as somewhat detrimental to the forum.

It's just a suggestion.

Carry on.

Comment

• Unchainme
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by jhale667
                    Hey, Booooooooring!
                    I WAASS CRYING WHEN I MET YOUUU NOW I'M TRYINGGG TO FORGET YOUUUU, YOUR LOVE IS SWEET MISERY, I love that video, My Favoirte Aerosmith video of all time.
                    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

Working...