PDA

View Full Version : BushCO Tells Supreme Court to Dismiss Terror Case !!!!

LoungeMachine
01-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Bush Administration Asks Top U.S. Court to Dismiss Terror Case

Jan. 12 (Bloomberg) -- The Bush administration asked the U.S. Supreme Court to cancel a scheduled showdown over the use of military tribunals to try terrorism suspects, saying a new law stripped the court of power to consider the case.

In a request filed today in Washington, U.S. Solicitor General Paul Clement said the court should dismiss an appeal by Yemenese national Salim Ahmed Hamdan, accused of being Osama bin Laden's driver and bodyguard. The justices in November agreed to hear Hamdan's case and are scheduled to resolve it by July.

The new law ``in plain terms removes the court's jurisdiction to hear this action,'' Paul Clement wrote.

A dismissal would eliminate a threat to the administration's plan for dealing with more than 500 inmates at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, most of them captured in the war against the Taliban in Afghanistan. Hamdan says that President George W. Bush lacked authority to set up the tribunals and that the procedures would violate the Geneva Convention protections for prisoners of war.

The tribunals don't offer all the rights afforded to U.S. criminal defendants. They permit exclusion of the accused from parts of the proceeding, allow witness statements in place of sworn testimony, and direct appeals to either the defense secretary or president, Hamdan's lawyers say.

The new law, known as the Detainee Treatment Act, was signed by Bush on Dec. 30. It would funnel any appeal by Guantanamo inmates of a military tribunal's decision to a federal appeals court in Washington and limit the issues that court could consider.

Arguments Likely

One of Hamdan's lawyers, Tom Goldstein of Goldstein & Howe in Washington, said the Supreme Court probably won't rule on the government's motion until after hearing arguments, probably in March or April.

``Nothing's going to happen immediately,'' he said in an interview.

Hamdan in December filed papers seeking to use a different procedural device, the court's power to issue so-called writs of habeas corpus, to ensure the justices can address the substance of the case.

More than 300 Guantanamo detainees have cases currently pending in federal court, Clement said in his filing today. He said the cases ``collectively have consumed enormous resources and disrupted the operation of Guantanamo during time of war.''

The Justice Department says Hamdan, who says he is about 36, served as a bodyguard for bin Laden, as well as his personal driver from 1996 to 2001. The government also contends Hamdan delivered weapons and ammunition to al-Qaeda members.

Hamdan says he was captured while trying to flee Afghanistan and return to Yemen with his family.

The case is Hamdan v. Rumsfeld, 05-184.

LoungeMachine
01-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

The new law, known as the Detainee Treatment Act, was signed by Bush on Dec. 30. It would funnel any appeal by Guantanamo inmates of a military tribunal's decision to a federal appeals court in Washington and limit the issues that court could consider.

It's official.

King George has become a Dictator, usurping the FUCKING SUPREME COURT !!!!!!!!!!

Un-FUCKING-believable :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Phil theStalker
01-12-2006, 09:09 PM
These guys are pushing for a revolution.:mad:

thome
01-12-2006, 09:20 PM
If the Terrorists get a speedy trail date how are we going to
squeeze info out of them. This takes time .

Is that what is in-between the lines here.

I think you are missreading the Reason behind such a -Request-, Bush made, not a edict from the King.

ODShowtime
01-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Maybe if they had a shred of credibility left this stuff wouldn't be so terrifying!

Who's fault is that?

thome
01-12-2006, 09:40 PM
If someone is even slightly considered a suspected terrorist do you
not think he/she should be taken into custody immediately and
detained until there is no doubt of his or her innocence before
being released back into the public .

FORD
01-12-2006, 09:41 PM
confirming Scalito will be the final nail in the coffin, sealing the one party fascist state :(

rustoffa
01-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by FORD
confirming Scalito will be the final nail in the coffin, sealing the one party fascist state :(

Maybe he'll go vacationing in the Argentinian jungle? After the cuntfirmation of course.
;)

Nickdfresh
01-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:07 PM ET

By Michael Christie

MIAMI (Reuters (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-01-12T200723Z_01_DIT266289_RTRUKOC_0_US-SECURITY-PADILLA.xml&archived=False)) - Jose Padilla, held for 3 1/2 years in a U.S. military brig without charges as an "enemy combatant," pleaded not guilty to terrorism accusations in a criminal court on Thursday on his first public opportunity to affirm his innocence.

Padilla, 35, a convert to Islam who has been linked to an Osama bin Laden training camp, was denied bond by a U.S. magistrate on the grounds that he was a risk to flee and a danger to the community.

Defense attorney Michael Caruso said Padilla, a former Chicago gang member, pleaded "absolutely not guilty" to the charges of conspiring to murder, kidnap and maim people overseas and of conspiring to and of actually providing material support to terrorist groups.

The Bush administration had originally accused Padilla of planning to detonate a radioactive "dirty bomb" or to blow up apartment buildings by using natural gas when it labeled him an "enemy combatant" after his arrest in Chicago in May 2002. The official charges against Padilla make no mention of the "dirty bomb."

The allegations, based on 200,000 intercepted international phone calls of which the government says 5,000 are pertinent, are that Padilla took part in a North American-based conspiracy to recruit militants for "violent jihad" -- or holy war. He also allegedly trained at a terrorist camp in Afghanistan run by Laden.

While the U.S. Supreme Court cleared the way for Padilla to be transferred to federal authorities in Florida last week, it has not yet resolved the key issue raised by the case -- whether the government has the power to order American citizens captured in the United States be held indefinitely in military jails as enemy combatants.

Padilla's co-defendants in the Florida case are Adham Amin Hassoun, Mohamed Hesham Youssef, Kifah Wael Jayyousi and Kassem Daher. Jayyousi is presented as a ring leader of the group while Youssef and Padilla, who the prosecution says also is known as Abu Abdullah the Puerto Rican, are described as recruits.

Prosecutor Stephanie Pell, in opposing bail for Padilla, told presiding magistrate Judge Barry Garber, that he had traveled to Egypt, Yemen, Afghanistan and Pakistan and represented a flight risk.

Pell said Padilla had been arrested several times since the age of about 15 and convicted of various crimes, including a murder-related charge and weapons charges. As such, he represented a threat to the community, she said.

Caruso described as "circumstantial" the evidence, including coded telephone calls between other defendants that refer to Padilla by different nicknames, and what prosecutors said was an application form filled in by Padilla in July 2000 to attend the terrorist training camp in Afghanistan.

"Weak isn't even the right word," Caruso told Garber.

Shackled, dressed in green prison garb and wearing wire-rimmed glasses, Padilla listened intently as Caruso made a spirited and lengthy bid to convince Garber to allow his client to be placed under house arrest.

Padilla's mother and brother were in court during his arraignment.

The trial is expected to begin on September 9.

© Reuters 2006. All rights reserved.

LoungeMachine
01-13-2006, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by thome
If the Terrorists get a speedy trail date how are we going to
squeeze info out of them. This takes time .

Is that what is in-between the lines here.

I think you are missreading the Reason behind such a -Request-, Bush made, not a edict from the King.

:rolleyes:

This is a gag, right?

No one is actually this dumb.:(

Warham
01-13-2006, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
It's official.

King George has become a Dictator, usurping the FUCKING SUPREME COURT !!!!!!!!!!

Un-FUCKING-believable :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah, he's the dictator until 2008.

:rolleyes:

thome
01-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:07 PM ET

By Michael Christie

MIAMI (Reuters (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-01-12T200723Z_01_DIT266289_RTRUKOC_0_US-SECURITY-PADILLA.xml&archived=False)) - Jose Padilla, held for 3 1/2 years in a U.S. military brig without charges as an "enemy combatant," pleaded not guilty to terrorism accusations in a criminal court on Thursday on his first public opportunity to affirm his innocence.

Padilla, 35, a convert to Islam who has been linked to an Osama bin Laden training camp, was denied bond by a U.S. magistrate on the grounds that he was a risk to flee and a danger to the community.

Defense attorney Michael Caruso said Padilla, a former Chicago gang member, pleaded "absolutely not guilty" to the charges of conspiring to murder, kidnap and maim people overseas and of conspiring to and of actually providing material support to terrorist groups.

The Bush administration had originally accused Padilla of planning to detonate a radioactive "dirty bomb" or to blow up apartment buildings by using natural gas when it labeled him an "enemy combatant" after his arrest in Chicago in May 2002. The official charges against Padilla make no mention of the "dirty bomb."

The allegations, based on 200,000 intercepted international phone calls of which the government says 5,000 are pertinent, are that Padilla took part in a North American-based conspiracy to recruit militants for "violent jihad" -- or holy war. He also allegedly trained at a terrorist camp in Afghanistan run by Laden.

While the U.S. Supreme Court cleared the way for Padilla to be transferred to federal authorities in Florida last week, it has not yet resolved the key issue raised by the case -- whether the government has the power to order American citizens captured in the United States be held indefinitely in military jails as enemy combatants.

Padilla's co-defendants in the Florida case are Adham Amin Hassoun, Mohamed Hesham Youssef, Kifah Wael Jayyousi and Kassem Daher. Jayyousi is presented as a ring leader of the group while Youssef and Padilla, who the prosecution says also is known as Abu Abdullah the Puerto Rican, are described as recruits.

Prosecutor Stephanie Pell, in opposing bail for Padilla, told presiding magistrate Judge Barry Garber, that he had traveled to Egypt, Yemen, Afghanistan and Pakistan and represented a flight risk.

Pell said Padilla had been arrested several times since the age of about 15 and convicted of various crimes, including a murder-related charge and weapons charges. As such, he represented a threat to the community, she said.

Caruso described as "circumstantial" the evidence, including coded telephone calls between other defendants that refer to Padilla by different nicknames, and what prosecutors said was an application form filled in by Padilla in July 2000 to attend the terrorist training camp in Afghanistan.

"Weak isn't even the right word," Caruso told Garber.

Shackled, dressed in green prison garb and wearing wire-rimmed glasses, Padilla listened intently as Caruso made a spirited and lengthy bid to convince Garber to allow his client to be placed under house arrest.

Padilla's mother and brother were in court during his arraignment.

The trial is expected to begin on September 9.

© Reuters 2006. All rights reserved.

I guess its every humans Rite to go to training camps in order
to get some new skills on murder and terrorism.
So, lets Free all political terrorist prisoners.

It's not until they put their training into action and complete their training .
So i say their Innocent until the Innocents are split into quivering piles of fetid flesh.

Let us never prevent crimes lets just respond after the fact then the guilty will pay.

DLR'sCock
01-13-2006, 12:35 PM
As I said, step by step.

Nickdfresh
01-13-2006, 01:06 PM
I guess its every humans Rite to go to training camps in order
to get some new skills on murder and terrorism.
So, lets Free all political terrorist prisoners.

What are you yapping about now? Who said any of that? (Besides you?)

It's not until they put their training into action and complete their training .
So i say their Innocent until the Innocents are split into quivering piles of fetid flesh.

Let us never prevent crimes lets just respond after the fact then the guilty will pay.

Who's "them?" In fact is that he's an American citizen that deserves his day in court. Do I think he's innocent? Not really. Do I think he's guilty of the cataclysmic acts the gov't accuses him of. No, I don't. The war on terror has been filled with innuendo and hyperbole...

The fact is that a "dirty bomb" is just pure fantasy, SESH posted an article around here that showed that they're completely, unworkable bullshit...

Let's see the evidence. But in fact, do some research and see how many "terra-ists" have been convicted for actual "terra-ist" offenses, and you find they're mostly convicted on minor violations, yet they're chalked up as a huge victory in the "War on Terror"...

Pardon me if I don't believe everything I'm told & sold...

thome
01-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Is it not a persons legal Rite to attend classes on Terrorism and self destruction, with the hope of commiting grave amounts of innocent casualties in order to further the advancement of Hate of America.

Of course it is, its just the -Mind- of the one that wants to, deserves
to be arrested, grilled ,questioned, held and kept until all the
devilish little secrets are learned as to who and why and when.

The trully sad thing is the -Body- must go where the -Mind- goes.

If you all still consider these people as productive citizens and that
they should never be questioned untill after the complete thier mission.So be it.

I doubt anyone innocent will be detained.

FORD
01-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Get over your fucking delusions....

The REAL terrorists are those goddamned sons of treasonous bitches that morons like YOU (with help from Diebold and Kunt Harris) put in the White House.

"Al Qaeda" was founded by the Bush Criminal Empire and never ceased to be a division of the same.

Now what are you gonna do about it, SHEEP?

Warham
01-13-2006, 02:26 PM
I can't wait until 2008, so I can stop hearing about this BCE.

Please, oh please, tell me you'll stop then FORD. As long as Jeb doesn't run, we're home free.

FORD
01-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Warham
I can't wait until 2008, so I can stop hearing about this BCE.

Please, oh please, tell me you'll stop then FORD. As long as Jeb doesn't run, we're home free.

Not neccessarily........

If a Democrat (i.e. NOT Hillary) wins, then we'll probably be rid of them.

But if your buddy George Allen gets the Repuke nomination, and a Diebold delivered "win", then, like Reagan and Junior, he'll be just another mindless puppet of the BCE.

Warham
01-13-2006, 03:36 PM
George Allen, my kind of Republican. :D

thome
01-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Get over your fucking delusions....

The REAL terrorists are those goddamned sons of treasonous bitches that morons like YOU (with help from Diebold and Kunt Harris) put in the White House.

"Al Qaeda" was founded by the Bush Criminal Empire and never ceased to be a division of the same.

Now what are you gonna do about it, SHEEP?

This is amazing because you seem to see the BCE (as you call it) as
a bunch of -Nazis- arresting the worlds innocent Jews in order to fry
them. You and many others seem to refer To our president -Bush- as Hitler ,or -like Hitler- Mobilizing armies to conquer the world .
Cicumventing the constitution to continue a concentration camp in Cuba.

A frequent cry of you all is -Its just like Poland- around here.

Old Germans returning to The home-land for safety from the Next
Reich.

I believe you must be confused this is nothing like Hitlers Rise to power ,The United States is nothing like the Third Reich.You and
many others have been Twisted by you Peers.

This is what WWII would have been like if we really new what was going on .We are arresting the WORLD of Nazi terrorists we are
preventing the persecution of the innocents of the world from
brutal dictators, suicide bombers, murdering stormtroopers.

Before it becomes Reich Like .This is what WWII would have been like
if we attacked first in 1933 to stop the Mind control.

Al Qeada and Unified Muslim Extremist Terrorism is the Fourth Reich.And We are not going
to stand by and let it happen again.

I see alot of people are viewing this all bassackwards.

LoungeMachine
01-13-2006, 05:12 PM
George Allen, my kind of Republican. :D

Yeah.

Stupid, but not corrupt.

yet.

Warham
01-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Are you calling people from Virginia stupid?

LoungeMachine
01-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Are you calling people from Virginia stupid?

What... are you channeling Bill O'Really now?

How the FUCK can you get that from my opinion of one man :rolleyes:

Nice spin, Warren :D

Warham
01-13-2006, 05:32 PM
I dunno, you libs have a good sense of channeling all the time when it comes to vilifying people.

LoungeMachine
01-13-2006, 05:38 PM
I dunno, you libs have a good sense of channeling all the time when it comes to vilifying people.

Gee, could it be your team gives us so much ammo???

What did 2005 bring us?

Rove
Libby
Frist
DeLay
Cunningham
Abramoff and all his cohorts.......

Spying on Americans without warrants, secret prisons, Katrina, Chimpy's Social Security Parade, HARRIEST MIEIRS [still laughing at THAT one ]

Come on and admit it, you guys have been your own worst enemy this year....:D

Warham
01-13-2006, 05:45 PM
See, this week the victim was Sam Alito. Because Bush nominated him, he must be the worst kind of scum. Ted Kennedy was so vicious asking about Sam's college club experiences at Princeton, he made poor old Mrs. Alito cry.

Those liberal bastards. How can they sleep at night?

LoungeMachine
01-13-2006, 06:07 PM
See, this week the victim was Sam Alito. Because Bush nominated him, he must be the worst kind of scum. Ted Kennedy was so vicious asking about Sam's college club experiences at Princeton, he made poor old Mrs. Alito cry.

Those liberal bastards. How can they sleep at night?

LMMFAO

:D :D :D

See, you can be funny when you try. ;)

FORD
01-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Ted Kennedy didn't make that old hag cry. Lindsey Graham Cracker did.

Warham
01-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Ted Kennedy needs to be put in a home. He's senile.

LoungeMachine
01-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Ted Kennedy needs to be put in a home. He's senile.

And most of your party need to be put in a cell.....

What's your point?

FORD
01-13-2006, 06:31 PM
What Ted Kennedy should have said, when he was reaming Arlen Specter a new asshole was.....

"Magic Bullet, my ass, you little bitch!"

Warham
01-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Ted Kennedy was an idiot when he was going on and on about mail he had sent Spector, assuming that our Postal Service delivered it on time.

Nickdfresh
01-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Is it not a persons legal Rite to attend classes on Terrorism and self destruction, with the hope of commiting grave amounts of innocent casualties in order to further the advancement of Hate of America.

Of course it is, its just the -Mind- of the one that wants to, deserves
to be arrested, grilled ,questioned, held and kept until all the
devilish little secrets are learned as to who and why and when.

The trully sad thing is the -Body- must go where the -Mind- goes.

If you all still consider these people as productive citizens and that
they should never be questioned untill after the complete thier mission.So be it.

I doubt anyone innocent will be detained.

SO FUCKING CHARGE HIM AND PROCECUTE HIM!!

Our civil liberties are the first thing that terrorists want to destroy, the dude's an American citizen, but they're going to arbitrarily/illegally try him under a Court Martial and violate the constitution?

stringfelowhawk
01-21-2006, 10:01 PM
If this is true then by law he is obstructing justice and not even the president is above that. He can not order or interfere in ANY investigation that involves a federal employee or elected official as it would be a conflict of interest and that is illegal as well.