PDA

View Full Version : "[I]RANDY RHOADS[/I] not imtimidated by EVH" says DuBrow in new GUITAR WORLD

Matt White
01-13-2006, 08:24 PM
New Guitar World...Tribute to the late Mr. Rhoads...

Kevin DuBrow has a couple of EVH memories from when Quiet Riot were the OTHER hot band in town...

First time EVH meets Randy...DuBrow takes Rhoads backstage to meet EVH...

"He knew who we were," says DuBrow. "The first thing he said to us was, 'You guys sound too much like QUEEN.' Randy asked him, "How do you get the guitar not to go out of tune using the bar?" and Eddie said, 'Ah, man, I can't tell you. It's a trick Jeff Beck showed me.' Randy and I just rolled our eyes."

Despite the acclaim heaped on Eddie, DuBrow insists Rhoads was not intimidated by the guitarist. "He thought that a lot of what Eddie did was smoke and mirrors. He said Eddie was a great player but that most of his stuff was actually very easy to do."
"He wasn't intimidated by Eddie as a player but by what he had achieved in the public eye. He was actually intimidated musically by George Lynch. We used to go see George play and Randy would say, "This guy is much better than Van Halen.' "

BrownSound1
01-13-2006, 11:40 PM
After watching some old Quiet Riot videos with Randy I'll say this...

Randy was a good guitarist, but he wasn't as good as EVH was. Also, Kevin DuBrow is an idiot. I hope he doesn't think he's fooling anyone with that poodle wig. Christ, the man has more hair on his head now, than he did in 1983.

FORD
01-13-2006, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Matt White

"He knew who we were," says DuBrow. "The first thing he said to us was, 'You guys sound too much like QUEEN.'

Eddie needs to clean out his ears. I've heard the Quiet Riot albums, and I can't think of one song on either one of them that sounds like Queen.

Matt White
01-14-2006, 12:17 AM
With only 2 major labels releases...Rhoads was on his way to becoming a MAJOR force in Hard Rock guitar...he is the Father of neo-classical Metal.......

I remember it like it was yesterday...or at least last week....when I heard aboot the crash....a talented Mofo...

rustoffa
01-14-2006, 01:53 AM
Rhoads' ability didn't have anything to do with whatever.

Ed probably said something about Dubrow looking like a Queen in his wig. Dubrow's fucked up....all the velcro stapled to his cranium?

Fast-forwarding Alzheimers.

nosuchluck
01-14-2006, 02:37 AM
Lynch was better than Van Halen?? what a load of crap...

Va Beach VH Fan
01-14-2006, 09:41 AM
"He thought that a lot of what Eddie did was smoke and mirrors."

What a ridiculous statement, typical Dubrow...

I'll say this for Lynch, I've also regarded him as one of the most underrated guitarists ever, if not THE most underrated....

That is, outside of my boy Akira Takasaki of Loudness....

Terry
01-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Pretty much all DuBrow has been good for since 1984 is telling RR stories for various Guitar mags.

Hey, Kev, why not give it a rest?

Would be willing to bet half of what DubRow says about RR these days is just plain made-up, because the truth of the matter is there's really nothing left to tell. RR was a great guitarist who died a long time ago...

...will probably be buying this mag just the same (hee hee)

WACF
01-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Dubrow is only keeping himself in the news...really, what else could he say that might keep interest in an article.

George is underated...too bad really.

Akira Takasaki ..."Wok an woll cwazeee niiighhtt..."...I forgot about Loudness.
What was that album...Thunder from the East?
I am gonna have to go find my old box of tapes.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Randy Rhoads... I dig what he did with Ozzy (Diary of a Madman, Blizzard of Ozz, the "Tribute") a lot, but... I don't think he can really be compared to EVH.

VH and VH II vs Quiet Riot I & II? Or even "Diary" & "Blizzard"? Not the same league, seriously... RR played a bunch of impressive parts, but - I may be wrong - he's always sounded as an aspiring second EVH.

As for Rhoads not being impressed by Eddie, well... As far as the bar thing, it kind of comes to saying: "I could do that too, if I knew how to!" :D

Coyote
01-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
I'll say this for Lynch, I've also regarded him as one of the most underrated guitarists ever, if not THE most underrated....

That is, outside of my boy Akira Takasaki of Loudness....

Hear, hear!

Coyote
01-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by WACF

That's the one. Apparently it's been remastered...

Matt White
01-14-2006, 12:41 PM
There is always a lot of hyperbole when DuBrow speaks...but his former bandmates in Quiet Riot back much of the stuff about Randy up.....remember...Gene Simmons was going to see THE BOYZ that night in the 70's, George Lynch's band....VAN HALEN were the opening band......"Right place Right Time"....

What did VAN HALEN have that the BOYZ & Quiet Riot did not? A Hot-shot guitarist? Nope...both had that......

VAN HALEN HAD DAVID LEE ROTH........

Terry
01-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
Randy Rhoads... I dig what he did with Ozzy (Diary of a Madman, Blizzard of Ozz, the "Tribute") a lot, but... I don't think he can really be compared to EVH.

VH and VH II vs Quiet Riot I & II? Or even "Diary" & "Blizzard"? Not the same league, seriously... RR played a bunch of impressive parts, but - I may be wrong - he's always sounded as an aspiring second EVH.

As for Rhoads not being impressed by Eddie, well... As far as the bar thing, it kind of comes to saying: "I could do that too, if I knew how to!" :D

Never really got the impression that RR was playing second fiddle to EVH. Think RR had a few of what we now refer to as Van Halenisms in his playing, but they both sprung from the same area at the same time period. Think it had more to do with Ed and Van Halen just being signed first and getting that exposure first than anything else.

I'd put Ozzy's first two solo efforts right up alongside the first two Van Halen albums, guitarwise, as far as the impact and influence on my own playing. Besides, never looked at guitar playing with the mindset of one player being "better" than another. Pointless.

Think RR obviously copped the tapping thing from EVH...their styles were similar in some aspects, but far from the same.

Phantom Blue
01-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Who cares about what stupid K.Dubrow has to say or RR band mates?
RR himself always said that he just could not compete with guys like EVH. He also said that everything he knew he learned fro EVH.
I've read that may many times in guitar magazinez from the 80's.
Today everybody is just making shit up, why didn't they said anything like that before? They just want to sound interesting.

Matt White
01-14-2006, 02:37 PM
I remember EVH saying that Rhoads got everything from him...NOT Randy Rhoads....

Rhoads said he was "Embarassed" he did tapping in his solo...just because the kids liked it.....

DrMaddVibe
01-14-2006, 09:14 PM
If Randy hadn't died an early death, I think that Eddie would've been shown the door a LONG time ago.

Randy kept him on his A game. He had to put out quality work. There's no way Van Hagar would've happened if Randy was still walking the earth.

Terry
01-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Yeah, I don't remember Randy saying he got everything he knew from Eddie Van Halen either, other than the flashy tapped stuff he did in his live, unaccompanied solo spot, either.

I do remember Ed saying after RR died that Ed had been told he had influenced RRs playing, and that if that was true, than he was very honored.

Even putting such nonsense to one side, so what IF RR was heavily influenced by EVH? When I listen to RRs stuff, I don't hear an Eddie clone at all. I hear a guy who was a bitchin' guitar player in his own right.

DavidLeeNatra
01-15-2006, 07:49 AM
What did VAN HALEN have that the BOYZ & Quiet Riot did not? A Hot-shot guitarist? Nope...both had that......

VAN HALEN HAD DAVID LEE ROTH........

...whome gene simmons wanted to replace ;)

Va Beach VH Fan
01-15-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by WACF

Come on now, I'm talking about Akira, not the wok and woll.... ;)

Their CD's nowadays are pretty expensive since they're considered imports....

Mr Badguy
01-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Had Rhoads lived he wouldn`t have put his guitar down and started playing keyboards, eh EHV?

Seshmeister
01-15-2006, 12:38 PM
He did put down his guitar and fuck Sharon Osbourne before she had all the surgery and lost all that weight...

Diamondjimi
01-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
He did put down his guitar and fuck Sharon Osbourne before she had all the surgery and lost all that weight...

No shit , all that pussy on the road and he puts the nutz to big fat $haron.
Well I hope he at least gave her a "Dirty Sanchez" for her troubles.

Hardrock69
01-15-2006, 04:25 PM
I weas fortunate enough to see Randy only a month before he died.

Likewise...I got to see Stevie Ray Vaughan one time.

Just a brush wif grateness.....

BruinJer
01-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Every indication was that Randy was going to get out of the business and go to school, then go back to teaching... I have heard several live recordings of Quiet Riot from the 70's and he was not all that impressive. The potential was there but that band was a lead weight musically. When he joined Ozzy's band, he was able to expand musically... and it showed right away. Diary of a Madman is a masterpiece. That entire album blew me away the first time I heard it and it still does to this day. EVH was able to do his thing from day one... Van Halen had all the right piece to be a sucess... Ed owes a lot of his sucess to David Lee Roth. Aside from the flashy clothes and party image... he ALWAYS promoted the band in that David Lee Roth style which drew attention like a magnet.... and Ed enjoyed great sucess because of it!

rustoffa
01-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Why do the Ozzy sidemen put signature graphics on their guitars?

Minus Willis I mean.....

Seshmeister
01-15-2006, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by BruinJer
Every indication was that Randy was going to get out of the business and go to school, then go back to teaching... I have heard several live recordings of Quiet Riot from the 70's and he was not all that impressive. The potential was there but that band was a lead weight musically. When he joined Ozzy's band, he was able to expand musically... and it showed right away. Diary of a Madman is a masterpiece. That entire album blew me away the first time I heard it and it still does to this day. EVH was able to do his thing from day one... Van Halen had all the right piece to be a sucess... Ed owes a lot of his sucess to David Lee Roth. Aside from the flashy clothes and party image... he ALWAYS promoted the band in that David Lee Roth style which drew attention like a magnet.... and Ed enjoyed great sucess because of it!

That's true.

Without RR then Ozzy would have faded away like most addicts who get thrown out of their bands.

Ozzy's whole solo career was built on the 2 Randy Rhodes albums and it seems that Ozzy had very little to do with writing those 20 or so songs.

Roth and EVH was a much more even split on every level

Ozzy is a lucky MOFO even by rockstar standards...

estang74
01-15-2006, 11:12 PM
my 2 cents: Think about how many great players were playing those clubs in the late 70's/early 80's. You have Rhoads, EVH, Lynch, Warren D, Jake E Lee, etc... You can hear a little of each others style because they were probably influenced by each other. They all played the same clubs, same bills, I'm sure a lot of those guys were friends with each other and supported/jammed with each other. Lynch and Demartini were really good friends and you can for sure hear licks that they copped from each other. EVH was a great player and a very underrated rhythm player. I'm sure Rhoads picked up some ideas from him, but I'm sure EVH picked up some ideas from other players in the scene, maybe not Rhoads, but other players in the scene for sure. EVH was the first new school player that came out in the late 70's so of course everyone after him would be compared to him, fair or not fair. I always looked at EVH and Rhoads as two completely different guitar players who influenced a ton of guitar players for decades to come

Vinnie Velvet
01-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Randy was a great guitarist -- one of the best.

But he wasn't near Eddie's level at the time.

He was still evolving. I think he could've surpassed Eddie by the time EVH "Hagared" his music, had Randy lived.

But compare 1981 - Fair Warning vs Diary of a Madman.

No contest. Fair Warning is a guitar masterpiece.

Matt White
01-16-2006, 10:01 AM
I remember at the time....the EVH vs. the RANDY RHOADS camps....

RANDY was a rising star...and EVH was King of the Hill....

Vinnie Velvet
01-16-2006, 10:27 AM

Yup.

Which I why I said that by the mid 80s when Eddie's bag of tricks were all but used (and he Hagarized his music), Randy would've surpassed him (if he was still alive and still playing hard rock - remember just prior to his death he was telling Ozzy that he wanted to leave the band and study more Classical Guitar and get a degree in it -- so who knows where he could've been).

Matt White
01-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Exactly, exactly......

I can't see Randy ever wanting to join Journey...which must have been a secret desire of EVH's.......

But who knows...maybe if Randy had lived he would have joined Wilson/Phillips........he had the same hair as the blond

DLR_EngineRoom
01-16-2006, 11:20 AM
New Guitar World...Tribute to the late Mr. Rhoads...

Kevin DuBrow has a couple of EVH memories from when Quiet Riot were the OTHER hot band in town...

"He knew who we were," says DuBrow. "The first thing he said to us was, 'You guys sound too much like QUEEN.' Randy asked him, "How do you get the guitar not to go out of tune using the bar?" and Eddie said, 'Ah, man, I can't tell you. It's a trick Jeff Beck showed me.' Randy and I just rolled our eyes."

Despite the acclaim heaped on Eddie, DuBrow insists Rhoads was not intimidated by the guitarist. "He thought that a lot of what Eddie did was smoke and mirrors. He said Eddie was a great player but that most of his stuff was actually very easy to do."
"He wasn't intimidated by Eddie as a player but by what he had achieved in the public eye. He was actually intimidated musically by George Lynch. We used to go see George play and Randy would say, "This guy is much better than Van Halen.' "

Loved Randy's work.
Stil love Kevin DuBrow's stage presence.
Loved Eddie's work, pre-1986.

Had NO idea that George Lynch/Dokken was around in 1982.

Matt White
01-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
Loved Randy's work.
Stil love Kevin DuBrow's stage presence.
Loved Eddie's work, pre-1986.

Had NO idea that George Lynch/Dokken was around in 1982.

How you been Bro?

Lets see....Lynch hooked up with Don Dokken in the early 80's....Juan Croucier was on bass...Mick Brown (Who had played with Lynch in THE BOYZ in the 70's) on drums....Breaking the Chains came out in 83...making the demos for it a year earlier.....

RHOADS knew Lynch from them both teaching at Randy's Mom music school....When RHOADS went out on the road with Ozzy, he asked his Mom to have George take his students...because he knew Lynch was a bad Mofo......

Douglas T.
01-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Randy crashed an airplane in a fatal mistake ... ed crashed a career in a drunken stuper!

jhale667
01-16-2006, 02:51 PM
...If you talk to anyone who was here during the day, Lynch was considered THE hottest guitarist in town then, Randy was the most well-known because most LA guys were taking lessons from him...Eddie completed the trinity...(Remember Lynch is also the oldest of the three) but they WERE the top 3 in town in the late 70s...

Dubrow has some GREAT RR stories you'll never hear, btw ;)

DLR_EngineRoom
01-16-2006, 03:26 PM
How you been Bro?

Lets see....Lynch hooked up with Don Dokken in the early 80's....Juan Croucier was on bass...Mick Brown (Who had played with Lynch in THE BOYZ in the 70's) on drums....Breaking the Chains came out in 83...making the demos for it a year earlier.....

RHOADS knew Lynch from them both teaching at Randy's Mom music school....When RHOADS went out on the road with Ozzy, he asked his Mom to have George take his students...because he knew Lynch was a bad Mofo......

MW, nice ta hear from yuzz again........thanx btw for the Lynch FYI..
I didn't know that...

Terry
01-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by estang74
my 2 cents: Think about how many great players were playing those clubs in the late 70's/early 80's. You have Rhoads, EVH, Lynch, Warren D, Jake E Lee, etc... You can hear a little of each others style because they were probably influenced by each other. They all played the same clubs, same bills, I'm sure a lot of those guys were friends with each other and supported/jammed with each other. Lynch and Demartini were really good friends and you can for sure hear licks that they copped from each other. EVH was a great player and a very underrated rhythm player. I'm sure Rhoads picked up some ideas from him, but I'm sure EVH picked up some ideas from other players in the scene, maybe not Rhoads, but other players in the scene for sure. EVH was the first new school player that came out in the late 70's so of course everyone after him would be compared to him, fair or not fair. I always looked at EVH and Rhoads as two completely different guitar players who influenced a ton of guitar players for decades to come

No fucking doubt!

It wasn't like Eddie came out of a hole in the ground having never heard anyone else before him, or not listening to what was going on with other players when they did those club gigs...

I mean, if you wanna get rigidly chronological about it, Ace Frehley did some tapping on the unaccompanied solo in Shock Me on Kiss Alive 2, and that was done in what, 1977? A full year before Van Halen's first album came out (although I'd be willing to bet Ace nicked it from Ed while Simmons was diddling around with the band)...

Shit, just listening to what Beck, Blackmore and Page were doing in the early and mid 1970s, I hear bits here and there that come a lot closer to what EVH ended up doing than ANYTHING Ed's claimed main influence Eric Crapton was doing...

Fair Warning was a monster fucking album, guitar-wise. No doubt. But back in the day there were just as many of us trying to cop some of RRs stuff as there were Eddie clones. Diary was a fucking monster album in it's own right.

What exactly makes one think RR was just a rung below Ed in terms of talent? What are the standards being utilized to make that assertion? Hey, not razzing on anyone for what they think, just curious.

estang74
01-16-2006, 11:39 PM
I might get destroyed for this comment but I always thought Rhoads had better song structure than EVH. I loved how early van halen songs had that attitude, vibe but Blizzard and Especially Diary were compositions. Eddie came up with sounds that made many of us guitar players scratch our heads in disbelieve. It's Hard to compare the two and I really think they should be considered equals considering Fair Warning was the fourth album Van Halen released and Rhoads only lived to release two albums. I have much respect for them both and when I was growing up, they were my two favorites for the reasons above.

DLR_EngineRoom
01-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Lynch's stuff w/Dokken is still underrated.

I saw 'em here LIVE in T.O. when he was with Lynch Mob.

Completely underrated guitarist.

Now there's an instrumental album waiting to happen...

Diamondjimi
01-17-2006, 06:32 PM

True. And now EVH is the drunk on the hill. It's a fuckin shame. I can't picture Randy pissing his career/life away like Ed has.
The guitar world needs a king.

ppg960
01-22-2006, 01:16 AM
Bingo! couldn't have said it better!
Goes to show what Guitar Mag has for IQ. They ask DipSHit Kevin DP for his take on RR? What about Ozzy? That Mag is garbage.

No contest. Fair Warning is a guitar masterpiece. [/B][/QUOTE]

jhale667
01-22-2006, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by ppg960

No contest. Fair Warning is a guitar masterpiece.

They're both brilliant in their own right. And so different it's unfair to compare the two. For sheer ferocity, it's Ed. For genius-level layering and orchestration, it's Randy. And Eddie wasn't triple-tracking his solos, either...;)

BrownSound1
01-22-2006, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by jhale667
They're both brilliant in their own right. And so different it's unfair to compare the two. For sheer ferocity, it's Ed. For genius-level layering and orchestration, it's Randy. And Eddie wasn't triple-tracking his solos, either...;)

Ed didn't have to triple track solos, his tone was full enough by itself. ;) Hell Jimmy Page did that shit years before Randy did. Randy's tone was too...I dunno...buzzy and harsh sounding. Plus, he always gets credit for bringing classical music to heavy metal, when in fact Ritchie Blackmore did it first. Randy only elaborated on it.

Terry
01-22-2006, 10:49 AM
In the end, the Guitar World issue was of some use I suppose for anyone who was interested in what Randy was doing before he hooked up with Ozzy, and had several photos I'd never seen before, but nothing really essential.

Suppose Guitar World throws RR and EVH on the cover every so often because it assures the issue will sell well, but there really ian't anything new to be said about EVH or RR at this point. All the songs have been transcribed, all their gear has been dissected, their techniques have been analyzed...kinda like flogging a dead horse at this point.

DavidLeeNatra
01-22-2006, 04:51 PM
the "good" thing is...if you die young enough you can't kill the legend that is made out of you even if you are not that much of a killer musician...randy couldn't stand the test of time...

ULTRAMAN VH
01-22-2006, 06:29 PM
I don't know where Dubrow got that bullshit, that RR thought Lynch was better than EVH. I read that when RR got the Ozzy gig, Lynch took over the teaching gig at Randy's mothers music school. Lynch and Rhoads were good friends and at the time Lynch was just a junior axe slinger compared to Rhoads and EVH. At the time in L.A. VH and Quiet Riot were both battling for a record deal and VH got the nod. The record label could not see any point in signing to bands of similar style. Fuck stick Dubrow and Quiet Riot got the raw end of the stick and the rest is history.
I think Rhoads and EVH were pretty even in the talent arena. But both would bring something different to the table. Ed was more bluesy in his playing and Rhoads had a classical style to his playing. They are hands down my two favorite players of all time. Yeah, Rhoads did some so called hammer ons, but he did it his own way. Just listen to the solo on Flying High Again. Nothing Eddie Van Halenish about that at all. Don't get me wrong, Lynch is a hell of a guitar player but he did not carry the same passion for the instrument as Rhoads and EVH did. I rank Lynch in the same bracket with players like Demartini and the rest of that big hair eighties gang that came out of L.A. Rhoads and EVH were the fathers of that era, the rest were children.

Terry
01-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
the "good" thing is...if you die young enough you can't kill the legend that is made out of you even if you are not that much of a killer musician...randy couldn't stand the test of time...

Not too sure about that...I still get off on Blizzard and Diary gettin' close to three decades now since they were put out...that's kinda standing the test of time...

Agreed that he (RR) got vaulted to a mythic status pretty quickly after he died, and he might not have been thought of as highly as EVH had he lived longer...had he not perished he may have always been thought of assecond fiddle to Eddie to those that even bother comparing the two, or any other players for that matter...pointless excercise.

DuBrow was a fuckin' idiot who couldn't sing a lick...the fact that he made nickel one fronting QR is astonishing to me. That bland blew chunks back in the day and hasn't gotten any better with age.

singerman
01-22-2006, 11:43 PM
check out www.randyrhoads.tk its the best for RR info....Dubrow signs message board most weeks giving answers to any questions relating to randy.as do some of randys family and ex-bandmembers from time to time.Also has some great rare daownloads

DLR_EngineRoom
01-23-2006, 11:45 AM
Just to clear the air, here.

IMHO...

DuBrow is rite up there with Jagger, Scott, Johnson, Cherone, Pearcy, Stewart and yes, the King of 'em all, Roth.

I've seen DuBrow live, and he's got his stuff from Roth, and did it in a non-ripoff way. Like Dave, his got a big mouth (which is crucial for a frontman to have) and knows how to work the stage, and the audience.
Definitely one of my favourite all-time classic frontmen.

...all of which are under Diamond Dave...

Terry
01-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Just to clear the air, here.

IMHO...

DuBrow is rite up there with Jagger, Scott, Johnson, Cherone, Pearcy, Stewart and yes, the King of 'em all, Roth.

I've seen DuBrow live, and he's got his stuff from Roth, and did it in a non-ripoff way. Like Dave, his got a big mouth (which is crucial for a frontman to have) and knows how to work the stage, and the audience.
Definitely one of my favourite all-time classic frontmen.

...all of which are under Diamond Dave...

I dunno, dude...

When I saw Riot open for Sabbath in 1983, just as Metal Health was starting to REALLY take off, DuBrow, and the band, were nothing special.

I mean, if you feel DuBrow is up there with the greats, well, god bless ya', but I totally disagree. He always came off to me as a talentless assclown who just can't sing well...but whatever. He made his millions...but QR and DuBrow were little more than a flash in the pan when it came right down to it in the end.

DavidLeeNatra
01-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Terry
I dunno, dude...

I mean, if you feel DuBrow is up there with the greats, well, god bless ya', but I totally disagree. He always came off to me as a talentless assclown who just can't sing well...but whatever. He made his millions...but QR and DuBrow were little more than a flash in the pan when it came right down to it in the end.

LOL...couldn't have said it better!!!!!!!

mako_kimura
01-23-2006, 06:00 PM
I agree with eStang, maybe these players influenced each other. But I also have to say this: Randy was a guitar genious, and he inspired me even more than Eddie Van Halen ever would. Just don't go all flaming opinion on me

jhale667
01-23-2006, 06:21 PM
To reiterate, Lynch is older than Rhoads and VH, and was by no means EVER considered 'junior' to them... I've spoken to people who were here in the day.....Lynch was well-respected around town long before Dokken.

DLR_EngineRoom
01-23-2006, 06:27 PM
I dunno, dude...

When I saw Riot open for Sabbath in 1983, just as Metal Health was starting to REALLY take off, DuBrow, and the band, were nothing special.

As usual Ter, you alwaze gotz great posts and insite.

...and it alwaze makes it all the more interesting when we respectfully disagree.

:D

Terry
01-23-2006, 07:34 PM
As usual Ter, you alwaze gotz great posts and insite.

...and it alwaze makes it all the more interesting when we respectfully disagree.

:D
I always dig where you're coming from, even if I don't wanna go there myself. You're good people, so never any reason for hostilities as far as I'm concerned.

Peace, bro.

DLR_EngineRoom
01-23-2006, 07:50 PM
I always dig where you're coming from, even if I don't wanna go there myself. You're good people, so never any reason for hostilities as far as I'm concerned.

Peace, bro.

Ter, if only the world could disagree yet feel total respect for eachother's opinions the way we post.....

Satchmo says: "What a wonderful woyld it would be..."

Terry
01-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Ter, if only the world could disagree yet feel total respect for eachother's opinions the way we post.....

Satchmo says: "What a wonderful woyld it would be..."

I hear ya. Takes too damn much energy to get hostile.

I can always have a measure of respect for someone's opinion if there's a bit of intelligence behind it, even if I totally disagree with it.

Plus, music appeciation is so subjective anyway, that what gets one person off may very well inspire disgust in another.

jslav06
01-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi
True. And now EVH is the drunk on the hill. It's a fuckin shame. I can't picture Randy pissing his career/life away like Ed has.
The guitar world needs a king.

I agree...
http://www.crosstownblues.hu/zenesz_web/szubjektiv/g3/steve_vai_haromnyaku.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I know who I nominate. :rockit2:

Vinnie Velvet
01-24-2006, 11:10 AM
I always find it funny how Kevin has more hair now than he did in '83!

Sorry, off topic.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
I always find it funny how Kevin has more hair now than he did in '83!

Sorry, off topic.

Not really... That's part of the character.

Does Dave have more, or as much, hair than DuBrow has as compared to 25 or so years ago?

Then, is Du Brow anything to be compared to DLR?
Is CVH comparable to QR?
Is DB comparable to DLR in any way?

:cool: You see you weren't really off topic... :)