• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Liberal Leaders Urge Nader to Abandon Bid

Saturday, Apr. 03, 2004

WASHINGTON -- Prominent liberals are pleading with third-party candidate Ralph Nader to abandon his "quixotic and destructive" presidential bid, warning that his presence in the race could ensure the re-election of President Bush.
    Fifteen progressive and liberal activists, including leaders of Americans for Democratic Action and Council for a Livable World, sent a letter to Nader Thursday praising his work as consumer advocate but arguing that he cost Democrat Al Gore the 2000 election.

Nader's percentage of support in Florida and New Hampshire, if it had gone to Gore, would have secured those states and the presidency for the Democrat.

"You have done great things in your career as a consumer advocate and we applaud your work, but your presidential race in 2000 led to the most destructive administration we can remember in our 200-plus collective years of progressive advocacy," the letter said. Some signed as individuals, others as representatives of their groups.

Nader ran as the Green Party candidate in 2000 and is seeking the presidency this year as an independent, to the dismay of many Democrats who have appealed to him not to run.

"We call on you to stop this quixotic and destructive effort," the letter said. "The stakes are simply too high. We cannot afford another four years of George W. Bush, but your candidacy only serves to help his re-election campaign."

Nader consistently has rejected these pleas and has disputed the suggestion that he cost Gore the election.

Speaking to about 400 students and supporters at Shenandoah University in Virginia Friday, Nader did offer a bit of a concession, saying, "Al Gore slipped on about 18 banana peels and maybe the Green Party was one of them."

The Nader campaign turned down the latest plea from the groups.

"You have to stand for something and I think these liberal groups, with their anybody-but-Bush advocacy, are going to get nothing in return," said Nader spokesman Kevin Zeese.

Although not on any states' presidential ballots, Zeese said the campaign was moving ahead, raising nearly $475,000 in the first two months of this year with $260,000 on hand entering March.

At Shenandoah University, Nader said he wants to work with presumptive Democratic nominee John Kerry on common issues.

Current polls show Nader getting enough support to alter the Bush-Kerry race. Nader generally registers about 5 percent, with many of his supporters independents and young voters.

© 2004 Associated Press.

• Lincoln
    Groupie
    • Jan 2004

Nader doesn't care about the democrats. Liberals asking him to leave the race will embolden him even more to stay in. I'm sure his speaking engagements are greatly enhanced because he makes a presidential bid. He knows he is not going to win, but it will benifit him to run.
    http://debatepolicy.com

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Nader is about 97% correct in the things that he's saying, but he's 100% wrong in his attempt at a solution (i.e. ensuring that Junior is elected)
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Pink Spider
        Sniper
        • Jan 2004

Wouldn't it be absurd for Nader supporters to ask Kerry to drop out because he's stealing all of Nader's votes? Now you figure out how absurd that sounds to us.

Ralph Nader isn't a Democrat and Kerry is a corporate pawn.
        Newflash: They're not on the same side and they never have been.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Who said they were...

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I don't trust corporate media polls, but the most recent ones I've seen show Junior and Judas virtually tied with Nader getting any where from 3-5 %.

What I fear the most is that we have another election with NO true results, and no real President again.

Did you think you would ever see someone in the White House who wasn't elected?? Did you ever think the American people, or even half of them, would tolerate that blatantly un-American bullshit??

Mark my words, if 2 terms without an elected president is tolerated, then next they will dispense with the pretense of elections altogether.

Last edited by FORD; 04-04-2004, 02:51 PM.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• BigBadBrian
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
              I don't trust corporate media polls, but the most recent ones I've seen show Junior and Judas virtually tied with Nader getting any where from 3-5 %.

What I fear the most is that we have another election with NO true results, and no real President again.

Did you think you would ever see someone in the White House who wasn't elected?? Did you ever think the American people, or even half of them, would tolerate that blatantly un-American bullshit??

Mark my words, if 2 terms without an elected president is tolerated, then next they will dispense with the pretense of elections altogether.
              The Electoral College was not in session in 1824 and John Quincy Adams was elected to the Presidency by the House of Representatives.

In 1876 there were a total of 369 electoral votes available with 185 needed to win. Republican Rutherford B. Hayes, with 4,036,298 popular votes won 185 electoral votes. His main opponent, Democrat Samuel J. Tilden, won the popular vote with 4,300,590 votes, but won only 184 electoral votes. Hayes was elected president.

In 1888 there were a total of 401 electoral votes available with 201 needed to win. Republican Benjamin Harrison, with 5,439,853 popular votes won 233 electoral votes. His main opponent, Democrat Grover Cleveland, won the popular vote with 5,540,309 votes, but won only 168 electoral votes. Harrison was elected president.

Any other questions, FORD? Don't like the Electoral College system? Write your Congressman and Senators to sponsor legislation to get it changed.

BTW - Republicans have pretty good luck with the system as it is, huh? Does the BCE influence go back to 1876 and 1888 as well?

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

he will say yes...

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

As a matter of fact, Hayes IS connected to the BCE!

And you gotta admit, it's kinda funny that the only 2 times in history that the son of a former President occupied the White House, it was through means other than a normal election. Though I'm sure John "Q" Adams wasn't as sleazy about it as the BCE was.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Dr. Love
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

I find it very unAmerican to ask someone not to run in an election.
                    I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Lincoln
                      Groupie
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                      I find it very unAmerican to ask someone not to run in an election.
                      Here here, I say the democrats leave the race by default.
                      http://debatepolicy.com

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Crybabies...

Comment

• John Ashcroft
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2004

So much for the "message".

Power is the Dems only concern. And it's why they'll lose more seats in Congress AND the Presidency this November.

Comment

Working...