X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Mogilny
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2004

Question

I have been fucking around on the guitar on and off for a few years and am just now getting somewhat serious with it.

My question is....should I upgrade guitar or amp first?

If I stick with it...I plan on upgarding the other in 6 months or so.
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

I'd suggest upgrading the guitar first...otherwise you're just amplifying crap...
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Matt White
      • Jun 2004

Re: Question

Originally posted by Alex Mogilny
      I have been fucking around on the guitar on and off for a few years and am just now getting somewhat serious with it.

My question is....should I upgrade guitar or amp first?

If I stick with it...I plan on upgarding the other in 6 months or so.
      It's a matter of personal preference...I'd go with the guitar...
      A better guitar would be easier to play & might inspire you to play more often......

A new amp is always cool too...a new sound might kick-start your playing......

Comment

• fe_lung
        Sniper
        • Mar 2004

Which one is crappier and which can you make do with longer? Also, what are you upgrading to?

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Re: Re: Question

Originally posted by Matt White
          .I'd go with the guitar...
          A better guitar would be easier to play & might inspire you to play more often......

Exactly, exactly
          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Alex Mogilny
            Head Fluffer
            • Apr 2004

I have been thinking of moving up to the Epiphone E335 Copy.

I know that doesn't sound like much of an upgrade but I got one of those $250 guitar/amp packages a few years ago and wanted to move up into the $400 - $600 range.

I've tried out a few of the mexican strats and they sound too thin to me. I've messed with the epiphone les paul and the guy at the store said he would advise me to wait a couple of more years and buy a gibson les paul...but only if I get serious.

So...I 've been messing around at the store with several different guitars and amps and I love the tone and sound of the epiphone E335 running through this $600 Marshall amp combo (forget the model #). To me the sound is fantastic and the guitar feels and sounds great...to me anyways.

Comment

• Hardrock69
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2005

Uhhh fuck that guy in the guitar store.

An Epiphone Les Paul is NO DIFFERENT than a Gibson...except for the fact it is made in Korea and has "Epiphone" on the headstock.

If you want a Les Paul, go ahead and get an Epi now if you want.

I mean, if you follow the guy's advice, why not wait until you can afford a Gibson ES335?

I have an Epi Korina V and an Epi Korina Explorer, and the quality is outstanding (except for the cheap piclups).

By all means, if an Epi ES335 is what you want, I have no doubt it will be a fine guitar.

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                Uhhh fuck that guy in the guitar store.

An Epiphone Les Paul is NO DIFFERENT than a Gibson...except for the fact it is made in Korea and has "Epiphone" on the headstock.

If you want a Les Paul, go ahead and get an Epi now if you want.

I mean, if you follow the guy's advice, why not wait until you can afford a Gibson ES335?

I have an Epi Korina V and an Epi Korina Explorer, and the quality is outstanding (except for the cheap piclups).

By all means, if an Epi ES335 is what you want, I have no doubt it will be a fine guitar.
                While I agree the salesman was an idiot, are the Epi Les Pauls (and Es335s) not BOLT-ON necks? So no, they're not the same...but for the guy to suggest "keep playing that guitar you hate for a few more years"--- what a dummy. You should buy whatever you like.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Take 'Em
                  Head Fluffer
                  • May 2005

Alex,

Your a hockey player right? When you go to the pro shop and pick up the high-end CCM or Bauers that feel great on your feet, you don't compliment them with some $15 shitty stick from play it again sports, right?

Same goes for your guitar and amp. Try out a bunch of gear and spend the dough on the stuff that feels and sounds the best for your style of play.

Good luck.

Comment

• jackassrock
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Sep 2004

Get the Epi.

Buy a new amp in 6 months. Then when you get some more cash upgrade the pickups in the guitar and get a new bone nut made for it. It will make the already fine playing Epiphone sound really sweet.
                    It's a shame that families should be torn apart by something as simple as....wild dogs

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by jhale667
                      the Epi Les Pauls (and Es335s) not BOLT-ON necks?
                      No, only the cheepest models...

Comment

• Hardrock69
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2005

Right. The 500-600 dollar Epi Gibson knock offs usually have the set necks just like the Gibsons.

Last edited by Hardrock69; 01-19-2006, 03:14 AM.

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Ah.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• doctor roth
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Jun 2005

Hmmmmmm. hard to say, as has been said its all personal preference.

If the guitar sounds bad and has a neck like a tree trunk get a new axe.

If the guitar plays well but SOUNDS bad, you could consider buying a good quality pick up. This way you could praps afford an amp too !!!

I spose i depends on what stage of your playing you're at. If you wanna start jamming and have a 30 wat t amp, get a more powerful amp so you can be loud enough to compete with a drummer.

If the reson you want new equipment is that you're bored with the sounds your getting, the option that has not been talked about is a multi effects pedal. While I prefer a bunch of stomp boxes multi effects are a good intro to some of the types of sounds you can get. In my experience when i got all these sounds to play with i was inspired to play more.

Just my angle, make of it what you will
                            Last edited by doctor roth; 01-26-2006, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• Coyote
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Alex Mogilny
                              I have been thinking of moving up to the Epiphone E335 Copy.

I know that doesn't sound like much of an upgrade but I got one of those $250 guitar/amp packages a few years ago and wanted to move up into the $400 - $600 range.

I've tried out a few of the mexican strats and they sound too thin to me. I've messed with the epiphone les paul and the guy at the store said he would advise me to wait a couple of more years and buy a gibson les paul...but only if I get serious.

So...I 've been messing around at the store with several different guitars and amps and I love the tone and sound of the epiphone E335 running through this $600 Marshall amp combo (forget the model #). To me the sound is fantastic and the guitar feels and sounds great...to me anyways.
                              #1: Store clerks are bitter, failed musicians, who usually don't know the difference between a Les Paul Standard and a Les Paul Classic

#2: To paraphrase Frank Zappa: If a guitar says to you "take me, I'm yours", that's the guitar for you.
                              Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

Working...