• Show
Clear All
  • PHOENIX
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

Axl Rose Breaks His Silence

Axl Rose Breaks His Silence

Gn'R mastermind talks "Democracy" at L.A. party
    "People will hear music this year," says Axl Rose, puffing on a cigar in the early hours of Saturday morning at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

The notoriously reclusive rocker is of course referring to Guns n' Roses' decade-in-the-making Chinese Democracy, arguably the most anticipated album in rock & roll history. "It's a very complex record," says Rose, a surprise guest at Korn's tour announcement bash. (Others in the house: Jessica Alba, cast members of The OC, and members of Linkin Park, Good Charlotte and the Used.) "I'm trying to do something different. Some of the arrangements are kind of like Queen. Some people are going to say, 'It doesn't sound like Axl Rose, it doesn't sound like Guns n' Roses.'" He then smiles and adds, "But you'll like at least a few songs on there."

Dressed in a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey, cross hanging around his neck, cornrows still intact and sporting a blonde goatee, Rose strolled into the party around 1 a.m., just as the DJ was coincidentally rocking some vintage Gn'R. Approached by a steady stream of women and hard-rock disciples -- including Puddle of Mudd's Wes Scantlin and Papa Roach's Dave Buckner -- Rose is cordial and chatty as he poses for photo after photo. He seems more like an average guy out for a night with friends than the most mythical rock star on the planet in 2006.

And he maintains that that's exactly what he is. "The only time people ever write about me is when I go out to a strip club, because I don't chase the paparazzi down," he says. And, when he's out of the spotlight, Rose says you'll find him doing average-guy stuff: reading books and watching movies. His favorite book is Philip K. Dick's A Scanner Darkly. "I was a little scared when I saw they were making it into a movie starring Keanu [Reeves]," he says. "But I guess if he can handle The Matrix, he can do this."

While Rose and his revolving cast of Gn'R bandmates have been working on Chinese Democracy, Papa Roach have achieved platinum status in their own right. But tonight, their drummer reverts to his teenage fan days, asking Rose for a picture and to guest on Papa Roach's next album. Rose strikes a pose and then graciously refers the fellow rocker to his management.

After all, before he lends his talents to others' projects, Rose has one of his own to finish, and he says it's getting there. "We're working on thirty-two songs, and twenty-six are nearly done," he says. Of those, thirteen are slated for the final album. Among Rose's favorites are "Better," "There Was a Time" and "The Blues."

As for a reunion with his former Gn'R mates, that seems unlikely. "I haven't spoken to Slash in ten years," Rose says. "I love the guy, I always wanted everyone to know how great he was, but.... I was just talking to Izzy the other day though."

However, he hints that you could see the current incarnation of Gn'R back out on the road soon. "Every time there's a big festival announced, we get rumored to be on there," he says. "But we'll see what happens."

One thing's for sure: Everyone will be watching.
  • DLR_EngineRoom
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

10 bux says Velvet Revolver will still kick Axl's ass, regardless of the material he puts out.
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by PHOENIX
      Some people are going to say, 'It doesn't sound like Axl Rose, it doesn't sound like Guns n' Roses.'"
      And I bet a lot of people are going to say it sounds like shit...

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

He is NOT GNR.

This "album" everyone keeps blathering about is by "The Axle Grease Band".

GNR has been non-existent for a decade.

He is a no-talent hack.

He may have trouble touring to promote the record (if he ever releases it), as there is no promoter with even half a brain who would buy him for live concerts.
        Last edited by Hardrock69; 01-18-2006, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• PHOENIX
          Veteran
          • Jan 2004

I still think this album will get a lot of attention when it comes out. Geffen has spent a lot of money on this thing. They are going to promote the hell out of it when it comes out.

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

Too bad. I cannot wait to not listen to it.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

"I love this guy"...yeah asshole rose...that's why you sent him a bullet with his name on it...fuck off and die...loser...
              Roth Army Icon
              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Like him or not, Axl is a 100% bona fide rock star.

I doubt it will ever come out but if and when it does, it will be worth a listen.
                sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by PHOENIX
                  I still think this album will get a lot of attention when it comes out. Geffen has spent a lot of money on this thing. They are going to promote the hell out of it when it comes out.

Yeah getting custody of the name is very important.

Ask Dave Roth...

Comment

• BruinJer
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jan 2004

Wasn't the song "Chinese Democracy" being played on the radio around 1999 or 2000??? I know I've heard it.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...r/Chickies.jpg

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr Badguy
                      Like him or not, Axl is a 100% bona fide rock star.
                      when I saw him (in a half filled arena) on the use your illusion-tour he behaved like a pussy...when somebody threw a (plastic-)bottle on stage...he went off and the promoter came on and said something like "we want to hear the best rock band of the world...bla bla...don't throw things...bla bla..."

a true rockstar faces the guy with the bottle and fucks his girlfriend after the show...
                      Roth Army Icon
                      First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                        Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

It's not GnR, and I have completely lost interest in hearing it.
                        Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                          ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
                          10 bux says Velvet Revolver will still kick Axl's ass, regardless of the material he puts out.
                          VR fucking suck ass

Axl has 10 times the talent there fucking fag frontman has

i got 10 that says Axl's album will sell better than VR
                          I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                          Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                            ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

the sale's for this album will be big.people will get it just because it has been 10 years in the making and they will want to hear if it was worth the wait,it wont be as good as classic GNR thats for sure but it will be a good solid album

im getting it the day it is released
                            I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                            Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                              Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
                              the sale's for this album will be big.people will get it just because it has been 10 years in the making and they will want to hear if it was worth the wait,it wont be as good as classic GNR thats for sure but it will be a good solid album

im getting it the day it is released
                              I'm willing to bet that like VH fans, GnR fans will not flock to it in the numbers that you'd expect. Real GnR fans need Slash. And the music scene is so much different now than in 1992, it won't get the radio play to drum up new fans.
                              Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

Working...