PDA

View Full Version : SHIT! WIlson Pickett Dead OF Heart Attack At 64...

Hardrock69
01-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Bummer....

RESTON, Va. -
Wilson Pickett, the soul pioneer best known for the fiery hits "Mustang Sally" and "In The Midnight Hour," died of a heart attack Thursday, according to his management company. He was 64.

Chris Tuthill of the management company Talent Source said Pickett had been suffering from health problems for the past year.

"He did his part. It was a great ride, a great trip, I loved him and I'm sure he was well-loved, and I just hope that he's given his props," Michael Wilson Pickett, the fourth of the singer's six children, told WRC-TV in Washington after his death.

A member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Pickett $B!=(B known as the "Wicked Pickett" $B!=(B became a star with his soulful hits in the 1960s.

"In the Midnight Hour" made the top 25 on the Billboard pop charts in 1965 and "Mustang Sally" did the same the following year.

Pickett was defined by his raspy voice and passionate delivery. But the Alabama-born picket actually got his start singing gospel music in church. After moving to Detroit as a teen, he joined the group the Falcons, which scored the hit "I Found a Love" with Pickett on lead vocals in 1962.

He went solo a year later.

Random Note: Jimi Hendrix played in backup bands behind Wilson Pickett in the early 60s...

bantonelli
01-19-2006, 05:57 PM
This is the music DLR grew up listening....alot of Motown...I'm sure he may talk about this on tomorrow's show.

Both Pickett hits were "Effen" GREAT!!! Great Dance Music and be-boppin. I hope he was recognized well by his peers and fans.

This is why I want to Celebrate ROTH NOW......he even mentioned if anything should happen to him now that he has become a Certified Helicopter Pilot.

I want ROTH to be recognized by those that think he is KING!!!! and I'm HRH next to him :)

Jérôme Frenchise
01-19-2006, 06:25 PM
:( Just 64... Another music giant passed away. I'm really sad. I used to sing both "Mustang Sally" and "In the Midnight Hour" in a band in Geneva five years ago, and I'll always remember how it felt playing them. Cool as could be.
Beyond other songs, I don't know much about him as a person, but I guess he was dynamite.
There must already be a hell of a jam session to greet Mr Pickett up there, maybe with Jimi and Brian Jones on guitar, Ray on piano, Keith Moon and John Entwistle and so many other great late wizards...

R.I.P.

hain23x
01-19-2006, 06:27 PM
damn!

Loons The Great
01-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Wilson Wicked Pickett, R.I.P.

FORD
01-19-2006, 06:56 PM
One of the greats of the R&B era. Not that horrible shit that passes for R&B today, but the real thing.

jhale667
01-19-2006, 09:24 PM
R.I.P. :(

Rebel
01-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Damn shame right there, one of the greats no doubt. I have several of his "Hits" collections, great music.

MAX
01-20-2006, 12:15 AM
R.I.P. Wilson Pickett. :(