PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we can sell them dogfood... Oh Shit! it is dogfood!

capnfrantic
01-20-2006, 10:53 AM
The Associated PressThe Associated Press

WASHINGTON Jan 20, 2006 — Just as U.S. officials were talking optimistically of selling more beef in Asia, Japan's prime minister said Friday his country will halt imports of American beef after a recent shipment was found that may contain material considered at risk for mad cow disease.

"This is a pity given that imports had just resumed," Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi told reporters in Tokyo. "I received the agriculture minister's report with his recommendation that the imports be halted and I think it is a good idea."

The latest announcement came as a jarring setback for the U.S. meat industry and Bush administration officials, happening just as U.S. officials were talking optimistically of selling more beef in Asia despite some lingering import restrictions.

The U.S. Embassy in Toykyo voiced its deep regret that the recent incident had occurred, and said it looked forward to the results of an investigation it expected the Agriculture Department to conduct.

That department had announced Thursday that Singapore officially ended a ban on American beef, following Japan, Hong Kong and South Korea, all of which reopened their markets in the past six weeks.

"This decision adds momentum to our goal of resuming normal beef trade throughout the world," Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said at the time.

But on Friday, Japan's agriculture minister said he believes U.S. meat producers have already violating the agreement that allowed American beef back into Japan. Agriculture Minister Shoichi Nakagawa recommended a total halt to American beef imports if officials confirm a recent U.S meat shipment contained material at risk for the disease, a ministry spokesman said.

The prime minister made his announcement after Nagakawa's finding was reported by an Agriculture ministry spokesman.

Nakagawa, said recently that imported beef from the U.S. may have included material from cattle backbones. Including parts of the cow thought to be at high risk of containing mad cow disease such as spines, brains and bone marrow would violate terms of an agreement that last month partially lifted a 2-year-old ban on American beef.

Diamondjimi
01-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Why have'nt I seen this plastered all over CNN every half hour on the half ?
Ohhh thats riiiiiiight it's not Canadian beef in question...........

Never mind , I just answered myself !

Angel
01-26-2006, 02:11 PM
:D

WACF
01-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by diamondjimi
Why have'nt I seen this plastered all over CNN every half hour on the half ?
Ohhh thats riiiiiiight it's not Canadian beef in question...........

Never mind , I just answered myself !

LOL...you nailed it!

Cathedral
01-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Have you seen the price of beef these days?
It's not been in my budget for a couple of months now.
$8 for a piece of meat that used to cost me $4 just a couple of years ago?
Fuck that, i'll hit the steak house and let them cook it for that price.
It costs the same so why mess up my kitchen?

I don't do cube steak or any of that lower grade steak shit, I'm a sirloin man. ;)

T-Bones rock too, but they're through the roof at $12 bucks for a tiny steak.

WACF
01-29-2006, 11:25 AM
That is a large reason why your ranchers do not want Canadian beef crossing the border.

They are trying to control supply and demand...for a higher price.

sagebrush
01-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Have you seen the price of beef these days?
It's not been in my budget for a couple of months now.
$8 for a piece of meat that used to cost me $4 just a couple of years ago?
Fuck that, i'll hit the steak house and let them cook it for that price.
It costs the same so why mess up my kitchen?

I don't do cube steak or any of that lower grade steak shit, I'm a sirloin man. ;)

T-Bones rock too, but they're through the roof at $12 bucks for a tiny steak.

You are so right ! Go out get a nice 16 oz t bone and everything else for 15 $ and nothing to clean up . 5 stars

blueturk
01-30-2006, 01:38 AM
Prices ARE through the roof, but I still like grilling my own steak....

Diamondjimi
01-30-2006, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Asssbrush
You are so right ! Go out get a nice 16 oz t bone and everything else for 15 $ and nothing to clean up . 5 stars

Bullshit !

The only meat you eat has a gunk spewing purple helmet on the end !

Racist cockhole !

Diamondjimi
01-30-2006, 01:58 AM
Let's not forget KKKfc !

FORD
01-30-2006, 02:30 AM
Don't bring that shit in here.

Cathedral
01-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by blueturk
Prices ARE through the roof, but I still like grilling my own steak....

Same here, but only if company is coming over.
I used to have a supplier that i would buy from once a month and got great deals.
I could get 12-12 oz. sirloins for $40 bucks that now costs me $90.

Nothing beats firing up the grill, i just do it less often lately. :(

FORD
01-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Same here, but only if company is coming over.
I used to have a supplier that i would buy from once a month and got great deals.
I could get 12-12 oz. sirloins for $40 bucks that now costs me $90.

Nothing beats firing up the grill, i just do it less often lately. :(

I hear ya!

Of course you can only fire up a grill three months out of the year here anyway, but even this last summer, I was grilling up chicken, burgers, or brats more than steak :(

Not that anyone should eat steak every day, of course, but it's gotta be healthier than burgers or brats. Possibly the chicken too, since I used to work in a feed mill that supplied a commercial chicken farm, and you wouldn't believe the shit they feed those birds.

Cathedral
01-30-2006, 11:53 AM
They have a law against grilling in the winter there?
The time of year makes no never mind to me.
I fire my grill up in the middle of a blizzard if the mood strikes me and i got some meat in the freezer.

I need to get a new freezer so i can stock meat again.
My brother and I used to split a cow every year and it was much much cheaper than going to the grocery.
Given todays prices on meat it is actually the best way to go about it.

Rebel
01-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Oh yea, by the time you hit the Safeway a few times, it probably would be cheaper to have a cow slaughtered, if you can use that much.

FORD
01-30-2006, 12:23 PM
They have a law against grilling in the winter there?
The time of year makes no never mind to me.
I fire my grill up in the middle of a blizzard if the mood strikes me and i got some meat in the freezer.

Kinda hard to keep soggy charcoal burning though. :( It hasn't stopped raining here since about 2 weeks before Christmas.

I need to get a new freezer so i can stock meat again.
My brother and I used to split a cow every year and it was much much cheaper than going to the grocery.
Given todays prices on meat it is actually the best way to go about it.

Yeah, that's how we always did it when I was a kid. My grandpa had 10 acres, so he always kept a cow or two and then we'd split the meat. You could even rent meat lockers back then. Not sure if anything like that exists anymore. Unfortuately, when Grandpa died, we had to sell the property and that pretty much killed that entire system.

Cathedral
01-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Same here, when the farm shut down we had to go commercial.
It was damn cheaper when you actually owned the cow, then your only paying for the prep, which you could trade some meat off to the butcher to cover.
The barter system was alive and well.

But wait a minute, you use a charcoal grill?
You can go gas for $100 and it's worth it...Taste the meat not the heat, brother, lmmfao.

FORD
01-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Same here, when the farm shut down we had to go commercial.
It was damn cheaper when you actually owned the cow, then your only paying for the prep, which you could trade some meat off to the butcher to cover.
The barter system was alive and well.

But wait a minute, you use a charcoal grill?
You can go gas for $100 and it's worth it...Taste the meat not the heat, brother, lmmfao.

Yeah, eventually that's the plan. Don't really have the place to put one of those rigs right now though. That's why I'm stuck with the little mini grill.

Back in high school , the home economics teacher (yes, guys were required to take the class!) assigned me the gas grill for a "demonstration" project. I looked through all the cookbooks and chose the weirdest goddamned idea I could find, which was to make a pineapple-upside down cake on the grill.

I'll be damned if it didn't actually work. Even more surprising since I was probably as baked as the cake was :D

Made for good munchies though.

Cathedral
01-30-2006, 03:53 PM
LMMFAO, don't worry man, I had to take home economics too.
I couldn't cook worth a shit, nothing fancy anyway, but i can sew like nobodies business.

Set me loose on a sewing machine and i'd make Betsy Ross envious.

FORD
01-30-2006, 03:58 PM
I had to take sewing in that class too, but me and the sewing machine didn't get along. I can manage to sew a button on a shirt if I have to, but beyond that, I'm lost.

capnfrantic
01-31-2006, 02:57 AM
mini grills suck, but I'm with you on the munchies.