PDA

View Full Version : Why does music Suck Ass Right Now?

Unchainme
01-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Goddamnit its the same shit day and day out. I constantly have to hear this song by Nickelback called "Photograph" which is possibly the most Van Hagarish song I've ever heard. I think everytime I hear it Rock dies a little bit more.

I found some new lryics to the song courtesy of a Amazon.com review.

"Look at this piece of crap
Everytime I do it makes me laugh
That people could be so suckered in
To buy this crap from the bargain bin

God this album really sucks
The dude sounds like a bunch of sick ducks
Ripping off Cobain, Staley and Vedder
My cat could rip those three off better

Every unit that this album sells out the front door
Means that the world of rock music dies a little more
It's hard to say, it's hard to say
Goodbye, goodbye"

So I am curious why the fuck do these type of bands get marketed so much, when they are going to be forgotten 5 years from now.

Discuss

fuckhowardstern
01-21-2006, 07:18 PM
I have felt that way since....oh about 1985! No shit - I'm not just saying that to correspond to when CVH broke up. Actually, come to think of it, even back in the day, 95% of all the new music that came out sucked major dingleberries. I don't think this is anything new, unchainme - just one day you wake up and realize it. I guess today is your lucky day!

ps that "new" nickleslack is pretty annoying but I thought that song they had out about "on your knees....lines on your face....hands around your throat.....whatever" had pretty funny lyrics.

Unchainme
01-21-2006, 07:27 PM
See I've always felt that way since about 1996, In my opinon when Grunge died, Music died as well. Thats just my opinion, Its also my opinion that with the last 5 years it just gotten even more uglier.

Coyote
01-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Discuss

It does suck now, but in a decade or so, people who grew up in these sad times will look back and go: "That was some great music we had back then".

Death by nostalgia, baby...

Mr. Vengeance
01-21-2006, 08:07 PM
That's what happens when you have idiot 11 year olds driving the music scene more than ever.

Fucking American Idol caused this latest wave of pop shit music. TV execs saw a chance to make money giving shitty, no talent, hacks a chance to become a pop star. Idiot, teeny-boppers and their unhip parents bought into it. Now all we get are American Idols.

And those of us who still believe in Rock n' Roll are getting older and have other things we have to spend money on. They're never going to make music for the rock fan ever again! Just hope that now and then we get a couple of good Rn'R albums a year.

Rock n' Roll had a good 35 years, just enjoy the back catalogues

ULTRAMAN VH
01-21-2006, 09:16 PM
I have to agree. I have classic rock stations programmed on my car stereo and I listen to talk radio. I refuse to pay my hard earned money, to listen to radio. It is bad enough I pay a cable company to watch TV, which sucks also. America is really being dumbed down by the entertainment and music industries. RnR has really taken a beating. Corporate execs are only interested in pretty people who have 0 talent and have to rely on technology to carry their pathetic miniscule musical prowess.
Rap and Hip Hop are an abomination to the music industry. It must be nice to make millions of dollars off of dumbed down american kids who pay big money to watch some thug run up and down a stage to a pre recorded track spewing lyrics on how to kill cops, rape women and kill your fellow man over a pair of nike tennis shoes. Long gone are the days of talented black musicians who could actually sing a tune and play an instrument. I am referring to the likes of a Stevie Wonder or Prince.
Lets not forget the tragic extinction of the guitar hero and goodtime RnR by the likes of Aerosmith, Kiss and of course the DLR era VANAHALEN. LONG LIVE CLASSIC ROCK STATIONS!!!!!!!! It is all we have left, in this maelstrom of decay.

fret_buzz_blues
01-21-2006, 11:30 PM
Kids are so dumb these days, it really saddens me to see them. That's probably why I don't get along with any of 'em...stupid fucks. And who made 'em like that? MTV! And then when I tell them that I don't watch MTV, ever, they act as if I'm some sort of freak. They can't speak correctly, their reading levels are no more higher than at a fourth grade level, they think music is a trend and not an art, and all they care about is how many people they've "gone out" with in a week. :mad:

Mr. Vengeance
01-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
I have to agree. I have classic rock stations programmed on my car stereo and I listen to talk radio. I refuse to pay my hard earned money, to listen to radio.

Actually I have found that the $13 a month I pay for Sirius is some of the best money I've spent. I can always find good music on there. And Howard of course.

jslav06
01-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Music has been dead ever since I could remember. Now with all this Emo sadness, Gothic vengeance, and bland Pop music, how can you find anything good to listen to. There's also an increasing fan base for indie rock, a la the Mars Volta and stuff like that. That is about the worst music I've listened to.

mako_kimura
01-31-2006, 09:15 PM
Ya know, Fret buzz, you're the only other person my age who's actually had the balls to say what I've always wanted to say. The emo shit needs to stop, the metal's ok, but it's all screaming, and I thought punk died in the 70's

ben halen
01-31-2006, 09:58 PM
It was pretty much over after the Seventies bands.

Sure, there's been some decent stuff here or there, but nothing that is timeless.

Hate to say it, but it's never gonna happen again.

fret_buzz_blues
02-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by mako_kimura
Ya know, Fret buzz, you're the only other person my age who's actually had the balls to say what I've always wanted to say. The emo shit needs to stop, the metal's ok, but it's all screaming, and I thought punk died in the 70's
I had to say it, man. ;)

Matt White
02-01-2006, 09:57 PM
NO GOOD MUSIC?!?!

GET ON BOARD

http://www.cobaltandcalcium.com/files/audio/live/music_midtown_06_12_05/Coheed_And_Cambria_6-12-05_Cover_copy.jpg

fe_lung
02-02-2006, 11:21 AM
I think that there's probably about the same number of good bands out there as there always were, what's changed (due to technology and a media aimed at 13 year old's disposable income) is the ammount of crap music. There's just so much more music available than ever before in history.

98% of music at any given time is crap anyway, regardless of the decade.

m_dixon1984
02-02-2006, 11:36 AM
fe_lung is absolutely right!

If you rely on top40 radio or MTV for your music you're going to get stuck listening to a lot of crap. Back in the eighties, when my musical tastes were growing, you hit the clubs, your older brother's or even parent's music collection, or you bought the music industry rags, to find the music that appealed to you. I now have favorites from all era's of music, including today's, it just takes some effort. The Internet has been great for me and I continue to find music, old and new, to add to my list of favorites.

The music you like, whatever it is, is out there. Just go looking for it. Fuck MTV and fuck Top40 radio!

M

Dirty Duck
02-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Music today....

Remember when you had to be "talented" or better yet,
some sort of a musician to make it out there?

Remember when artists starved just to make it in the big time?

Today...it's: HAVE ONE HIT SONG and now you're a STAR! Please...
I live out on Long Island...and there was a review on Ashley Simpson
concert in my area. Well, to make a long story short he pretty much said that watching Ashley on stage sticking out her tounge acting rock n roll made him MISS rock n roll even more...
I can only Imagine....you'd have to give me 10 shots of Jack,a marley sized joint, and an elephant tranquilizer to get me anywhere near that fuckin show.
Today's music does suck...but every year it gets worse.
Rap is everywhere,and although I love all types of music,
you know it;s the end of the world when the Pillsbury Doughboy
starts rapping.
Thank god for all the old classic albums....right? I'm a rock n roll junkie and If I was ever depending on today's music to get my fix...
Dirty Duck would have died a long time ago...

Golden AWe
02-02-2006, 05:21 PM
There's still plenty of good, new music...

MTV and playlists have spoiled the words like "rock" but that doesn't mean no one makes GRETT music anymore...

Turn off your TV and the radio and listen to your cd's and vinyls.

Hardrock69
02-02-2006, 05:30 PM
The radio is not representative of the music scene these days.

That is why the internet is so cool.

You have a great alternative to radio and shiTV for discovering great music.

FUCK RADIO.

FUCK MTV.

FUCK THE MAJOR LABELS.

Those fucking bastards refuse to develop good talent.

They scoop up flocks of lame bands, sign them with huge advances, and even IF they actually release a band's album, if it does not stick, they drop the band like Edward Van Halen drops a Heineken when he is fucked up.

Used to be that a band might actually get signed for several albums, and the label was actually interested in developing their careers.

As a result, in many cases, the label made a killing on those bands they worked with.

It is like a relationship with a human of the opposite sex.

A sort of rule of thumb is the length of time it takes to develop the relationship before making it permanent is a good indicator of how long the relationship will last.

One fucked up problem is the musical chairs routine that goes on at the labels.

A band's only rela safeguard these days is to have a clause in their record contract stipulating that if the person who signed them gets fired by the label, the band is considered released from their contract.

BITEYOASS
02-02-2006, 06:30 PM
You basically have to search around the net to find a good band. But it's also due to a number of other things: We work too much to buy useless expensive crap and spend the rest of our lives worrying about paying it off, Nobody bothers to start up a band or we're seduced by the fanatics of the bible belt and are stuck in a republican WASP mindset of worshipping the million dollar slave drivers who don't believe in sleep. And thus we are stuck in midset of dreams of getting by, rather than producing creations.