PDA

View Full Version : How Dave Can Get an Album Together

Nickdfresh
01-26-2006, 08:52 AM
It'd be grate' for DAVID LEE ROTH to get back to what he's best at, the Mojo king toast master general laying down a new groove and all that. But there's a little matter of writing the music.

DAVE's not really a writer of music in itself, lyrics and harmony, he can contribute, and he has very good session musicians playin' for him and a ready band, but I'm not sure how creative they are at composing new material.

So, should DAVID pair up with with a famous song writer like JIM STEINMAN (http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/steinman_jim/bio.jhtml) (MEATLOAF: "Bat Out of Hell," "Back Into Hell")?

Just an idea...

bantonelli
01-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Meatloaf songs were the pits.....I think him and Terry Kilgore could cook up something for our listening pleasure.

Nickdfresh
01-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by bantonelli
Meatloaf songs were the pits.....

I like MEATLOAF, but that fact not withstanding, STEINMAN could write quite differently with DAVE, and of course this would be collaborative as opposed to his using MEAT as a singer/performer for his stuff, and that's just one name. There's GLENN BALLARD or DESMOND CHILD also.

I think him and Terry Kilgore could cook up something for our listening pleasure.

Then why haven't they yet? And who's going to release and promote it? Obviously, for DAVE to release an album, something needs to change for a label to take the chance with him, like maybe getting back EEASB, or at least VAI, and having some outside writer work with him...

It's never going to happen otherwise...

jhale667
01-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Nick, WHATEVER you do, please don't suggest DESMOND CHILD...I actually despise most of those 'hit' writers. It's almost never a good idea to bring them in. They are responsible for SO much of what's bad about music today.

Desmond Child would want Dave to re-do "she bangs" fer chrissakes....:mad:

Nickdfresh
01-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
Nick, WHATEVER you do, please don't suggest DESMOND CHILD...I actually despise most of those 'hit' writers. It's almost never a good idea to bring them in. They are responsible for SO much of what's bad about music today.

Desmond Child would want Dave to re-do "she bangs" fer chrissakes....:mad:

Well, I'm just throwing out names...

I'm not real big on "hit writers either, but CHILD did do some good work with KISS.

In fact, I think STEINMAN could be a perfect fit, he doesn't whore himself out as far as I know, most of the music he wrote for LOAF had a strong rock undercurrent if it was overly theatrical, and he's a very odd guy.

jhale667
01-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Who suggested Nuno Bettencourt in another thread? Now if HE could resist going too 'pop' (No 'More than Dave', please) he would be a good writing partner for Dave (and a better guitarist choice) :D

audiospectrum
01-26-2006, 03:25 PM
He should get a bunch of old black guys and make some soul music. No big names, just a tight group of brothers, playin' what they love.

rockhead
01-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Didnt Glenn Ballard try to make songs when DLR and VH got together in 96 and to quote from CFTH 'glenn ballard-grow up to close to mummy lyrics' for VH is syphillis!

Nickdfresh
01-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by rockhead
Didnt Glenn Ballard try to make songs when DLR and VH got together in 96 and to quote from CFTH 'glenn ballard-grow up to close to mummy lyrics' for VH is syphillis!

No. BALLARD had nothing to do with those, that was something EDwad said (but he didn't mention names, some have speculated DESMOND CHILD also), that VH brought in an outside writer to pen the lyrics for the new tracks. Of course, he only said this after DAVE mentioned the lyrics were were his little dig at the "new, sober" ED...

And BALLARD really doesn't specialize in lyrics anyways, and I doubt he would write anything without a song writing credit.

4rchang3l
01-26-2006, 07:52 PM
line-up.
DLR-Frontman
Jake E. Lee-Guitar
Flea-Bass
Tommy Lee-Drums
-sorry for being so 931.-j:confused

rustoffa
01-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
So, should DAVID pair up with with a famous song writer like JIM STEINMAN (http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/steinman_jim/bio.jhtml) (MEATLOAF: "Bat Out of Hell," "Back Into Hell")?

Just an idea...

Dave busted out lyrical genius when good ol' EVH was lurking about.....the "fury" and all that. Unwashed folk legends could learn a thing or two from "Light Up The Sky."

I gotta agree with you on the Steinman angle...biting sarcasm.

"There ain't no Coupe DeVille hiding at the bottom of a cracker jack box."
:D

I dunno....maybe a Rick Rubin deal.

A high-profile collaboration with Fat Boy Slim, The Chemical Brothers, or whatever looped-out dipshit might get him long-overdue club notoriety.

Flash Bastard
01-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by 4rchang3l
line-up.
DLR-Frontman
Jake E. Lee-Guitar
Flea-Bass
Tommy Lee-Drums
-sorry for being so 931.-j:confused

Not bad, not bad.

I've always had a tremendous amount of respect for Jake's work. Flea and T-bone are no slouches either.

Speaking to Nick's point, I think Steinman would be an interesting choice because he's quite unconventional in his approach to songsmithing. He'd rather a song feel and sound honest rather than go for the quick buck like Desmond Child might.

4rchang3l
01-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
i dunno....maybe a Rick Rubin deal.

A high-profile collaboration with Fat Boy Slim, The Chemical Brothers, or whatever looped-out dipshit might get him long-overdue club notoriety.
Oh forfuks sake! who are we talkin bout here? fuckin gay-ass Moby?!
Dave is not a techno-dork.
get it sorted.
Dave is a rocker, not one of the mindless sheep.
-j :mad:

Flash Bastard
01-26-2006, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa

I dunno....maybe a Rick Rubin deal.

I'd give a week's pay to hear that collaboration.

Flash Bastard
01-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by 4rchang3l
Oh forfuks sake! who are we talkin bout here? fuckin gay-ass Moby?!
Dave is not a techno-dork.
get it sorted.
Dave is a rocker, not one of the mindless sheep.
-j :mad:

Rubin has worked with a wide range of musical styles, some of Slayer's most successful albums were produced by him.

I don't know about the Chemical Bros though.

4rchang3l
01-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Rubin iz k3wl, but i dont think he's right for Dave.
ted t. perhaps...-j; )

Terry
01-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by bantonelli
Meatloaf songs were the pits.....I think him and Terry Kilgore could cook up something for our listening pleasure.

Dave and Kilgore have come up with some great stuff together in the past, and Kilgore can WRITE...

Don't think there's really any need to get a 'professional' writer with proven, established commercial success to work with Dave. One thing that has always struck me about Roth's output is that it doesn't sound forced, like songwriting-by-numbers...Childs and the like are just too formulaic. End up producing predictable, passionless music designed to sell. Dave's stuff, with or without Van Halen, sold in part because he/they just went in and let it rip. You can hear the difference between calculation and inspiration

Think Dave just needs to write with someone who inspires him, and vice-versa. Young is adequate for live work, but if he has a halfway decent original idea, he should've threw it out there when they were putting together Diamond Dave, because THAT album could've used a lot more of them, and a lot less covers.

jhale667
01-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Songwriting-by-numbers...Childs and the like are just too formulaic. End up producing predictable, passionless music designed to sell.

Well said.

ritetoolforjob
01-27-2006, 11:21 AM
can dave still get a hardon? and if so is it only for his dear sister?

Golden AWe
01-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by ritetoolforjob

shitworm and a wannabe.

fuckhowardstern
01-27-2006, 12:03 PM

I guess some things will never change - ritetool will always have Dave's genitals on his mind and that incest remark.....par for the course....

Golden AWe
01-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by fuckhowardstern
I guess some things will never change - ritetool will always have Dave's genitals on his mind and that incest remark.....par for the course....

he prefers if you call him "shitworm" :)

Diamondjimi
01-28-2006, 02:18 AM

Why , is grampa's cock starting to taste like Daddy's?
Just can't satisfy your himpho manmeat cravings eh ?
Now fuck off and get back to tossin Grandma's salad, Cockleach !:blow2:

Three_Lock Rock
01-28-2006, 07:29 AM
nobodie wants a new rothtard faggit cd! bring on SAMMY!

three lock rock

kickin ass and takin names

glensfallspaul
01-28-2006, 07:59 PM
I'd like to see him record another album with the DLR Band. Dave and John Lowery worked really well together, and that album is still one of my favorites.

bueno bob
01-29-2006, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Three_Lock Rock
nobodie wants a new rothtard faggit cd! bring on SAMMY!

three lock rock

kickin ass and takin names

nobodie?

faggit?

lurn howe to spel?

fucknut.