X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jslav06
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2006

Bit Torrent Questions

What is bit torrent and how can I use it. I downloaded some bootleg concerts a while back and I couldn't play them. My friend told me something about bit torrent but he sucks at explaining things, plus I don't think he new what he was talking about.
    http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e67/jslav06/pbf.gif
    I rule because I make the Rules.
  • jgdrag
    Sniper
    • Jul 2005

Here you go

Log onto JamToThis, one word google search, no spaces.
    Register with Jam To This
    search the Show,concert or audio file you want to download under the TORRENTS, click on ex. US Festival Van Halen
    It will open up another file listing the songs on that torrent
    scroll to the bottom of the first post, this is usually the person offering the show, concert whatever
    there will be a file called torrent file in a differnt font, click on it, it will download to whatever directory you want, I personally save it on my desktop

Now you need a program to receive all the files associated with that torrent file you just downloaded

These are free, such as Bitcomet, Azureus, Bittorent and so on, just google torrents to see all the available downloading programs

Lets use Azureus for our example
    You will need to open a port on your computer
    I have a network set-up on my home computers but will try and give you enough info in case you don't have a router
    Go to Start on your screen click
    Settings
    Network connections
    wireless network connections, or if you don't have wireless connections you will probably use your Local connection, click on it
    for me I then click on Properties, for Local connectoions, Advanced, then Settings and then Exceptions, this will open up another window, you will open up a port and add Azureus in this area, click Add Program for Azureus,which will open up another window, fill in the blanks using your choice of downloading software
    Add your Port also under Exceptions, we will use for our example 6881 as our port, do 2 here, one for TCP and one for UDP
    Save the data
    There should be a title called Azureus and 2 more new titles called azurues for the ports, remember 1 for the program and 2 for the port
    Now select Advanced which is beside the Exception header
    I select wireless connection but you might need to select Local Area, here you will or should see Azereus being added to the list of other titles, if it is there, you are good so far
    Now, if you have a router you will need to open that port up, it is pretty easy so I will leave it up to you, but you could email me
    Configure Azureus to use the selected port you have set-up and adjust the Azureus program as required, ex max download speed and max upload speed, that is very important, remember this is sharing not downloading, your upload speed will determone your download speed
    According to your connection speed of your ISP contract
    Last edited by jgdrag; 02-02-2006, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• jslav06
      Head Fluffer
      • Jan 2006

What are ports and how do I know which one to use?
      http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e67/jslav06/pbf.gif
      I rule because I make the Rules.

Comment

• jgdrag
        Sniper
        • Jul 2005

port is where your download will come from, sort of like a tunnel, quick lesson, double click on your internet connection in the bottom right hand of your screen, usually near your computer clock
        click on Properties
        Advanced
        Settings
        Exceptions
        There you will see programs that are using ports as well as the ports the program is using
        That port would be the tunnel to which particular information is sent and received
        If you use a Firewall, you will need to open a port there to allow your torrent file to access your computer through and past your firewall
        some ports are already used, lots are not, ex 49152 is available and there is lots more
        If you have a router, it will need a port opened also
        same number as your computer port you selected for torrents
        Last edited by jgdrag; 02-06-2006, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Working...