X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Virginia Tech suspends Washington for one game

BLACKSBURG, Va.-- Virginia Tech suspended forward Deron Washington for one game Friday, one day after he appeared to drive his foot into the face of a Duke player when both were laying on the floor.

Washington, a starting forward and the Hokies' third-leading scorer with an 11-point average, will miss Saturday's game at Wake Forest.

He was ejected from Thursday night's 80-67 loss to No. 2 Duke for a flagrant foul, which came with 1:30 left after he was fouled by Lee Melchionni.

Washington said afterward that he kicked Melchionni unintentionally as he was trying to hurry to get back on his feet. He and coach Seth Greenberg went to Duke's locker room shortly after the game and apologized to Melchionni and coach Mike Krzyzewski.

Tech athletic director Jim Weaver imposed the suspension for "conduct detrimental to the sport of basketball."

"Jim Weaver and Seth Greenberg are to be commended for how they have addressed this issue," ACC commissioner John Swofford said in a statement. He said the conference would impose no additional punishment.

Greenberg said in a statement: "What Deron did last night was wrong and I cannot condone it. He called Washington's act "not a reflection of who he really is."

Virginia Tech's image has taken a beating nationally since the Gator Bowl on Jan. 2, when quarterback Marcus Vick was caught on tape stomping on the left calf of Louisville All-American Elvis Dumervil. Vick was kicked off the team Jan. 6 for the unsportsmanlike conduct as well as a succession of legal problems.

Detroit News/Associated Press
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

There's something in the water over there....

We've known that wrning's been a closet serial killer for years now....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Talk about a bad reflection on the coaches there ... and how can they really control the maturity of these players sportsmanship wise.

It's fucked up.

Comment

• Fairwrning
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

They are offering a new course for athletes at V.P.I...advanced footwork 101...
        I watched that game and really thought it was unintentional...but evidently it wasn't...at least Greenberg DID go and apologize....

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

I thought he did it on purpose...but...was laughing at how INTENTIONAL the fucking homos made it sound like here on local radio...fucking morons...

It was certainly not nearly as bad as some shit I've seen...

Christ...Laettner used to do shit like that nearly every game...
          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Fairwrning
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

love the new Hokie slogan they started not too long ago..

I can just see UVA printing up shirts with this logo and a picture of you-know-who...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

Did they make it before...or after Vick?
              "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Fairwrning
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                Did they make it before...or after Vick?
                I think it was just after joining the ACC..definately b4 Vick...

Comment

• Fairwrning
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

actually..I guess it was after...Vick was there for 3 years including suspension year..

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

lmfao...they need to redo the sign...

Comment

Working...