PDA

View Full Version : Bandwagon fans?

Sammy Who??
04-06-2004, 12:19 PM
I was talking to a friend this weekend and he said that anyone who doesn't like VH because Dave ain't in it is a bandwagon fan. and you know what? techinically he's right. what if a player on your favorite sports team got traded would you still be a fan of the team? of course you would.

now this guy likes VH all VH. he's not a diehard but he obviously knows who they are. he too prefers DLR era but likes Sam as well

and believe me this makes me a bandwagon fan

admit it would ya?

Dr. Love
04-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Fairweather fans, eh?

Bob_R
04-06-2004, 12:34 PM
I'm not a bandwagon fan! ** clap clap ** :D With that said I can't wait for this thread to take off.

Bill Lumbergh
04-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Any version of VH without Dave in it.....IS NOT VAN HALEN!!!! Listen to the first six albums, then listen to the Spam era(YOU listen to it, NOT ME). It's not the same fucking band.

Slammy Gaygar
04-06-2004, 12:42 PM
i think a better sports analogy would be in a strike when they bring in scabs to play. Its an insult to fans, and nobody cares about those replacement players, which is what spammy is. Thus, the bandwagon is not in effect, because real fans are protesting that there is something better that could/should be happening.

Satan
04-06-2004, 12:45 PM
Bandwagon fan??

How in the fuck can fans who were with the band since February 19fucking78 be accused of jumping on a bandwagon??

Most of these Hagar sheep weren't even BORN then, and the rest of them were still listening to Sesame Street. Or the fucking BeeGees.

And in my case, I've been a fan since I purchased their souls on the evilning of June 6, 1976 :cool:

Calderone
04-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Now maybe we can trade
How much you awnt for DLR'S soul?
I have several Bootlegs and other stuff you may want.
Maybe you want my girl,i don't know,let's trade

Calderone
04-06-2004, 01:30 PM
Now maybe we can trade
How much are you asking for DLR'S soul?(if it's for sale..its gonna be 50 this october)
I have several Bootlegs and other stuff you may want.
Maybe you want a girl,i don't know,let's make a deal here.-

Satan
04-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Dave's soul is mine for eternity. Even he acknowledges himself as "the son of Satan".

But I might cut you a deal on Eddie's soul. Hell knows it's not of any use to me as long as he's playing cheese ballads with Van Velveeta.

BURKRUPTION
04-06-2004, 08:07 PM
THE GUY THAT STARTED THIS THREAD IS AN IDIOT

pete
04-06-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Sammy Who??

now this guy likes VH all VH. he's not a diehard but he obviously knows who they are. he too prefers DLR era but likes Sam as well

Van Halen, or any rock band, is not the Miami Dolphins.

Your friend, while possibly nice, is not of extreme intelligence.

The whole premise and rules by which the guy dictates his, admittedly, loose loyalty does not apply here.

I think Dr. Love made the statement "-fair-weathered"

I don't think this guy has any right to down our "fan status"

We are the real fans. the sensible fans. The original fans.

And no offense to the Van Hagar Fans. But the best stuff Van Hagar did was the stuff trying to be old style, but with the cheesey lyrics, as Sammy has written HIS ENTIRE CAREER, it never worked.

I love a lyricist.
I love the best of 'em from Reed to Dylan. And I hate DIO.
I've heard people here say Roth was no Yeats. That's true. But he had something all great writers had. His own way with words and his own voice/vocabulary.

Van Halen was not any style. THEY WERE VAN HALEN.

When Hagar joined they no longer had a unique musical style. they became followers. Yeah, Eddie's leads were his own, but song-wise it could've been anyone.
(just like they told roth in 96 "we will write songs anyone can sing")

WHO THE FUCK IS A BANDWAGON FAN HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not the fucking people I talk to here almost daily. These people are perceptive people with good ears and a taste for art.

Not cliche themes and song structures.

The art got lost dudes.

btw, a good guitar solo/sound is not all it takes to make a good song.

not by a fucking fraction

Big Troubles
04-06-2004, 08:42 PM
what if a player on your favorite sports team got traded would you still be a fan of the team? of course you would.

Van Halen was never a "sports team" though dude. They WERE the whole the fucking sport. And when Dave left that created a void or a black hole in the music scene. Sure life goes on. Sure Van Halen went on. But to where? In the opposite direction of what Dave would've brought them. They would've been cemented as one of, if not the best damn rock n roll band in history. Instead they will never be mentioned in the same breath as Rolling Stones or Led Zep. The classic VH line up will, but not with the Spermmy version.

Dr. Love
04-06-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by BURKRUPTION

Sammy Who??
04-07-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by BURKRUPTION

You're the idiot you fucking dirtbag.

Truth hurts huh? :D

ZahZoo
04-07-2004, 11:04 AM
I don't know that bandwagon fan or even fairweathered fan actually apply accurately...

In nailing down a descriptive term for a person that only considers Van Halen as the original lineup w/ Dave I would say the most applicable term would be a Purist VH Fan (PVF).

Those that have a preference to Dave but accept the other interations as acceptable would be a Traditional VH Fan (TVF).

Those that don't give a shit about who's singing would be a Generalist VH Fan

Personally I don't think one type of fan is preferable more than another, nor is it a measure of a person's intelligence. It's just shows the varying levels of interests people have in this band. Frankly if you question the intelligence of a person who's opinion differs from yours you probably have some insecurities that need addressing...

Satan
04-07-2004, 11:29 AM
Those who think anything Eddie plays on = "Van Halen" would be Ovine VH Fans

ZahZoo
04-07-2004, 12:22 PM
Good one Ford!! errr I mean Satan... Now how many are running over to the yahoo dictionary to look this one up? ;)

SilvioDante
04-07-2004, 01:11 PM
I was talking to a friend this weekend and he said that anyone who doesn't like VH because Dave ain't in it is a bandwagon fan. and you know what? techinically he's right. what if a player on your favorite sports team got traded would you still be a fan of the team? of course you would.

admit it would ya?

I would not necisarily be a fan of the team again. Depends on the reason for the trade. If the owner of that team was a money hungry bitch that just cared about dumping high income players and not trying to put out a quality product, then fuck him. If it was for the betterment of the team, then life goes on.

Putting Spammy in VH was NOT for the betterment of the team.

Bandwagon fans are fans who come on board when times are good, jump off when things get rough. Like Sammy fans. I have heard "I just wanna see Ed again" a thousand times on these boards for reasons people will go see Van Hagar on this tour. Us Dave fans, as hard as it may be, are holding out for VAN FUCKING HALEN!!! We are not bandwagon fans, we are here for the long haul with Dave!

Golden AWe
04-07-2004, 01:17 PM
After Bobby Orr quit, the Bruins found RAY BOURQUE.

You can't say the same about the brothers of Van Heineken.

SilvioDante
04-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Yeah, its kinda like when the Steelers replaced Terry Bradshaw with Cliff Stoudt

pete
04-07-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by ZahZoo
Frankly if you question the intelligence of a person who's opinion differs from yours you probably have some insecurities that need addressing...

Anyone who finds exceptional value in post 1984 Van-Halen needs to have there intelligence questioned.

as far as insecurities: kISS MY ASS! iT NEEDS REASSURRANCE.

Sammy Who??
05-05-2004, 02:28 PM
everyday i'm more convinced that the title of this thread is TRUE!!

cwsmith17
05-05-2004, 02:34 PM
everyday i'm more convinced that the title of this thread is TRUE!!

All of the posts have some good points. "The truth is neither here nor there, but in between."

DaveIsKing
05-05-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by ZahZoo
In nailing down a descriptive term for a person that only considers Van Halen as the original lineup w/ Dave I would say the most applicable term would be a Purist VH Fan (PVF).

Those that have a preference to Dave but accept the other interations as acceptable would be a Traditional VH Fan (TVF).

Those that don't give a shit about who's singing would be a Generalist VH Fan

I agree with this assessment. Sorry, but I believe the "bandwagon" status doesn't apply here logically, technically or otherwise. The "original" fans are cannot be termed "bandwagon". You, my friend, are being deceived by SPAMMYISM.

DaveIsKing
05-05-2004, 02:47 PM
SPAMMYISM is deceiving folks.

smaz
05-05-2004, 03:54 PM
If a player leaves a team, the team still plays the same sport in the same way, so we carry on liking the team. Dave left the band, and they made a different style of music. So we went off them. Bandwagon?? I think not.

DavidLeeNatra
05-05-2004, 05:17 PM
first...roth was the team...so we stayed with our team...second...a sports team-fan is mostly based on a "local" thing...it represents a region you live in so the players can be replaced more easily...can't be compared with a band...so the thread starter (or his friend) is definitely an IDIOT

Terry
05-05-2004, 05:28 PM
I would think anyone who liked all the lineups of Van Halen would be a bandwagon fan.

Some accept second best. When it comes to Van Halen, some just accept no substitutes.

Am not opposed to appreciating what the sisters and Mikey do under the name Van Halen just because Roth isn't there, as long as the songs are exceptional. Problem is, have yet to hear anything from Ed and Co without Dave that is anything other than yawn-inducing.

Hard to quantify if one band is better than another. Depends on the personal preference of the listener. In my opinion (and isn't one's own opinion the only one that really matters when you come right down to it?), music being subjective, no accounting for a person's tastes, etc. etc. :

Van Halen were a better band when Roth was in it.

bru87tr
05-05-2004, 06:53 PM
the difference is when sports are played its by a TEAM!!!!!!!

the VH boys dont know the meaning of team and there for cannot be supported. see how long a player on a team lasts when hes a liar, cheater and constant drug user and boozer. you cant compare the two. try again!

GAR
05-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
I'm not a bandwagon fan! ** clap clap ** :D With that said I can't wait for this thread to take off.

"** clap clap ** "

Good G-d, that's Majorly GAY..

GAR
05-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by bru87tr
the difference is when sports are played its by a TEAM!!!!!

Hooray for the TEAM!

(damn.. how come my Hagar thumbs up pic won't attach?)

Bob_R
05-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by GAR
"** clap clap ** "

Good G-d, that's Majorly GAY..

Uh, whatever brains. :rolleyes:

cwsmith17
05-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Liver nuts.

Bob_R
05-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Liver nuts. Is that from The Jerky Boys?

General Hina
05-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by SilvioDante
I would not necisarily

necisarily?!?!?!?

WOW, you are a dummy.

When it starts this poorly on the 4th word of the post I just move on to something that is intelligibly written.

Over and Out,
General Hina

General Hina
05-05-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Van Halen was never a "sports team" though dude. They WERE the whole the fucking sport.

Dave retired from the sport and his band went on to win the championship with 4 consecutive #1 titles.

Over and Out,
General Hina

DavidLeeNatra
05-06-2004, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by General Hina
Dave retired from the sport and his band went on to win the championship with 4 consecutive #1 titles.

Over and Out,
General Hina

yeah...but they changed the discipline and went from kick fighting to ballett...

Panamark
05-06-2004, 08:54 AM

Over and Out,
General Hina

Dave retired from the sport and the sport suddenly lost
more than half its sales.

Started and In.
Panamark !

ashstralia
05-06-2004, 09:17 AM
ha ha! lol

Hollywood Jesus
05-06-2004, 09:26 AM
Ok, let's take the sports analogy to its end here.

The original Cleveland Browns did not cease to exist, they moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens. People who cheer the Browns now are cheering for a substitute of the real thing. The "Real" Browns won a Super Bowl as the Ravens.

Same thing with VH. The people with the name are the fakes. The original, DLR, went out and won a couple trophies (EEAS, Skyscraper) and the hearts of fans everywhere.

So, who's the fair-weather fans. Those Cleveland ninnies who took it up the arse and blindly cheer a loser just because they have a name you recognize?

Hollywood Jesus
05-06-2004, 09:36 AM
Also, look at the Oakland Raiders last year. They royally sucked. Second worst team in teh NFL. However, the Raiders continue to be in top 5 in annual sales of shirts & shit.

Point here is that losers routinely hit the Top 5 in sales. Talking about Sammy's chart toppers mean zip, especially when Dave holds the Platinum and Diamond sales championship by a wide margin anyhoo.

General Hina
05-06-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Dave retired from the sport and the sport suddenly lost
more than half its sales.

Half sales better than no sales.

Out of the closet Hina

General Hina
05-06-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood Jesus
Ok, let's take the sports analogy to its end here.

The original Cleveland Browns did not cease to exist, they moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens. People who cheer the Browns now are cheering for a substitute of the real thing. The "Real" Browns won a Super Bowl as the Ravens.

Same thing with VH. The people with the name are the fakes. The original, DLR, went out and won a couple trophies (EEAS, Skyscraper) and the hearts of fans everywhere.

So, who's the fair-weather fans. Those Cleveland ninnies who took it up the arse and blindly cheer a loser just because they have a name you recognize?

With your stupid analogy you are implying that the original classic VH were losers.
Nice try.

Over and Out,
General Hina

Hollywood Jesus
05-06-2004, 11:45 AM
With your stupid analogy you are implying that the original classic VH were losers.
Nice try.

Don't think so, Generally Hinder. It's an EXCELLENT analogy.

The Browns were a proud franchise. Won the NFL championship right outta the box in the 1950s. Just like Van Halen in 1978. Had arguably the best player ever to put on shoulder pads in Jim Brown. Akin to David Lee Roth.

Brown retires and the team goes into the tank. Dave leaves Van halen and they go into the tank.

Oh, the Browns were good in 1980s but got beat out by a horse-faced John Elway. Just like VH fans got beat up by a horse's ass Sammy Hagar.

So what happens? Cleveland's team leaves and wins a Super Bowl in Baltimore totally shitting on its longtime fans. Again extremely similar to VH in that any success after Roth has shit all over its true fans.

Now the Browns have the same name and a shiny new stadium, but make a mockery of their glory days. VH has the same name, something people like you find shiny and make a mockery of their glory days.

Slam Dunk.

General Hina
05-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood Jesus
Don't think so, Generally Hinder. It's an EXCELLENT analogy.

The Browns were a proud franchise. Won the NFL championship right outta the box in the 1950s. Just like Van Halen in 1978. Had arguably the best player ever to put on shoulder pads in Jim Brown. Akin to David Lee Roth.

Brown retires and the team goes into the tank. Dave leaves Van halen and they go into the tank.

I think you mean akin to Eddie since he was the innovative member of VH.
If 4 #1 albums and a Grammy Award is in the tank I bet DLR would love to be in the tank right about now. Let me rephrase "Right Now."

Over and Out of the box,
General Hina

Terry
05-06-2004, 04:53 PM
If 4 #1 albums and a Grammy Award is in the tank I bet DLR would love to be in the tank right about now. Let me rephrase "Right Now."

Over and Out of the box,
General Hina

I'll take close to double the sales over four #1 albums any day.

Especially considering the material on those four #1 albums.

Let's see, would I rather be singing on Balance, which went to #1 and did under 3 million in sales, or on 1984 which went to #2 and is at 10 million + and still climbing? Hmmmmmmmmmm..........

General Hina
05-06-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Let's see, would I rather be singing on Balance, which went to #1 and did under 3 million in sales, or on 1984 which went to #2 and is at 10 million + and still climbing? Hmmmmmmmmmm..........

Probably 1984!
OR would I rather be singing on Your Filthy Little Mouth, DLR Band & Diamond Dave with a total sales combo of.... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

Hina Out!

Sammy_God
05-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Look I know you guys are delusional, but Joe Montana Roth isn't the QB anymore, ok? Now it is Steve Young Hagar. Haahahahaha!!!!!!

Remember Steve Young's stats are better, just like Sammy's #1 albums. How many #1's does David lee have?? Um... "0".

pete
05-06-2004, 08:31 PM

Over and Out of the box,
General Hina

I think dave was much an innovator in his field. From the fashion, to the scream to the themes. His whole persona was innovative.

pete
05-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Sammy_God
BLAH BLAH blah blah

You name speaks volumes above your idiocy.

your GOD is mediocrity.

ALinChainz
05-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Probably 1984!
OR would I rather be singing on Your Filthy Little Mouth, DLR Band & Diamond Dave with a total sales combo of.... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

Hina Out!

Or Sammy's last solo album, that LIVE piece of crap, that didn't even sniff a Billboard chart.

You always bring up Dave's solo efforts, but never Sam's.

HMMMMMMMMM ....

General Hina
05-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
Or Sammy's last solo album, that LIVE piece of crap, that didn't even sniff a Billboard chart.

You always bring up Dave's solo efforts, but never Sam's.

HMMMMMMMMM ....

The total sales of Sammy's last 5 CDs 4 studio and 1 Live is a million units. Most of those units were sold on his first 2 CDs after leaving VH. Sammy's solo career since 1996 has been much better than Daves.

Over and Out,
General Hina

thefive
05-07-2004, 10:06 PM
The total sales of Sammy's last 5 CDs 4 studio and 1 Live is a million units. Most of those units were sold on his first 2 CDs after leaving VH. Sammy's solo career since 1996 has been much better than Daves.

Over and Out,
General Hina

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=71385

General Hina
05-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Sheep Master General