X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sammy Who??
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2004

Bandwagon fans?

I was talking to a friend this weekend and he said that anyone who doesn't like VH because Dave ain't in it is a bandwagon fan. and you know what? techinically he's right. what if a player on your favorite sports team got traded would you still be a fan of the team? of course you would.

now this guy likes VH all VH. he's not a diehard but he obviously knows who they are. he too prefers DLR era but likes Sam as well

and believe me this makes me a bandwagon fan

admit it would ya?
  • Dr. Love
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Fairweather fans, eh?
    I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Bob_R
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I'm not a bandwagon fan! ** clap clap ** With that said I can't wait for this thread to take off.
      Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Any version of VH without Dave in it.....IS NOT VAN HALEN!!!! Listen to the first six albums, then listen to the Spam era(YOU listen to it, NOT ME). It's not the same fucking band.

Comment

• Slammy Gaygar
          Roth Army Recruit
          • Mar 2004

i think a better sports analogy would be in a strike when they bring in scabs to play. Its an insult to fans, and nobody cares about those replacement players, which is what spammy is. Thus, the bandwagon is not in effect, because real fans are protesting that there is something better that could/should be happening.

Comment

• Satan
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Bandwagon fan??

How in the fuck can fans who were with the band since February 19fucking78 be accused of jumping on a bandwagon??

Most of these Hagar sheep weren't even BORN then, and the rest of them were still listening to Sesame Street. Or the fucking BeeGees.

And in my case, I've been a fan since I purchased their souls on the evilning of June 6, 1976
            Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
            I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Calderone
              Commando
              • Jan 2004

Now maybe we can trade
              How much you awnt for DLR'S soul?
              I have several Bootlegs and other stuff you may want.
              Maybe you want my girl,i don't know,let's trade

Comment

• Calderone
                Commando
                • Jan 2004

Now maybe we can trade
                How much are you asking for DLR'S soul?(if it's for sale..its gonna be 50 this october)
                I have several Bootlegs and other stuff you may want.
                Maybe you want a girl,i don't know,let's make a deal here.-

Comment

• Satan
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

Dave's soul is mine for eternity. Even he acknowledges himself as "the son of Satan".

But I might cut you a deal on Eddie's soul. Hell knows it's not of any use to me as long as he's playing cheese ballads with Van Velveeta.
                  Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                  I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• BURKRUPTION

THE GUY THAT STARTED THIS THREAD IS AN IDIOT

Comment

• pete
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

Re: Bandwagon fans?

Originally posted by Sammy Who??

now this guy likes VH all VH. he's not a diehard but he obviously knows who they are. he too prefers DLR era but likes Sam as well

and believe me this makes me a bandwagon fan
                      Van Halen, or any rock band, is not the Miami Dolphins.

Your friend, while possibly nice, is not of extreme intelligence.

The whole premise and rules by which the guy dictates his, admittedly, loose loyalty does not apply here.

I think Dr. Love made the statement "-fair-weathered"

I don't think this guy has any right to down our "fan status"

We are the real fans. the sensible fans. The original fans.

And no offense to the Van Hagar Fans. But the best stuff Van Hagar did was the stuff trying to be old style, but with the cheesey lyrics, as Sammy has written HIS ENTIRE CAREER, it never worked.

I love a lyricist.
                      I love the best of 'em from Reed to Dylan. And I hate DIO.
                      I've heard people here say Roth was no Yeats. That's true. But he had something all great writers had. His own way with words and his own voice/vocabulary.

Van Halen was not any style. THEY WERE VAN HALEN.

When Hagar joined they no longer had a unique musical style. they became followers. Yeah, Eddie's leads were his own, but song-wise it could've been anyone.
                      (just like they told roth in 96 "we will write songs anyone can sing")

WHO THE FUCK IS A BANDWAGON FAN HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not the fucking people I talk to here almost daily. These people are perceptive people with good ears and a taste for art.

Not cliche themes and song structures.

The art got lost dudes.

btw, a good guitar solo/sound is not all it takes to make a good song.

not by a fucking fraction
                      Last edited by pete; 04-06-2004, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• Big Troubles
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Sammy Who??
                        what if a player on your favorite sports team got traded would you still be a fan of the team? of course you would.

Van Halen was never a "sports team" though dude. They WERE the whole the fucking sport. And when Dave left that created a void or a black hole in the music scene. Sure life goes on. Sure Van Halen went on. But to where? In the opposite direction of what Dave would've brought them. They would've been cemented as one of, if not the best damn rock n roll band in history. Instead they will never be mentioned in the same breath as Rolling Stones or Led Zep. The classic VH line up will, but not with the Spermmy version.
                        "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Dr. Love
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BURKRUPTION
                          I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Sammy Who??
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BURKRUPTION
                            You're the idiot you fucking dirtbag.

Truth hurts huh?

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I don't know that bandwagon fan or even fairweathered fan actually apply accurately...

In nailing down a descriptive term for a person that only considers Van Halen as the original lineup w/ Dave I would say the most applicable term would be a Purist VH Fan (PVF).

Those that have a preference to Dave but accept the other interations as acceptable would be a Traditional VH Fan (TVF).

Those that don't give a shit about who's singing would be a Generalist VH Fan

Personally I don't think one type of fan is preferable more than another, nor is it a measure of a person's intelligence. It's just shows the varying levels of interests people have in this band. Frankly if you question the intelligence of a person who's opinion differs from yours you probably have some insecurities that need addressing...
                              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Working...