PDA

View Full Version : Cindy Sheehan Arrested; Wife of GOP Congressman Asked to Leave

frets5150
02-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Cindy Sheehan Arrested; Wife of GOP Congressman Asked to Leave
WASHINGTON (Feb. 1) -- Cindy Sheehan, mother of a fallen soldier in Iraq, wasn't the only one ejected from the House of Representatives gallery for wearing a T-shirt with a war-related slogan that violated the rules.

Beverly Young, wife of Rep. C.W. Bill Young, R-Fla., was removed from the gallery because she was wearing a T-shirt that read, "Support the Troops - Defending Our Freedom."

She was sitting about six rows from Laura Bush and asked to leave. She argued with police in the hallway outside the House chamber.

"They said I was protesting," she told the St. Petersburg Times. "I said, "Read my shirt, it is not a protest.' They said, "We consider that a protest.' I said, "Then you are an idiot."'

They told her she was being treated the same as Sheehan, a protester ejected before the speech Tuesday night for wearing a T-shirt with an antiwar slogan. Sheehan wrote in her blog Wednesday that she intends to file a freedom of speech lawsuit.I don't want to live in a country that prohibits any person, whether he/she has paid the ulitmate price for that country, from wearing, saying, writing, or telephoning any negative statements about the government," Sheehan wrote.

Capitol Police took Sheehan, invited as a guest of Rep. Lynn Woolsey, a Democrat, away in handcuffs and charged her with unlawful conduct, a misdemeanor. She later was released on her own recognizance.

Capitol Police Sgt. Kimberly Schneider said police warned her that such displays were not allowed in the House chamber, but Sheehan did not respond.

Woolsey gave Sheehan her only ticket earlier in the day -- Gallery 5, seat 7, row A -- while Sheehan was attending an "alternative state of the union" news conference by CODEPINK, a group pushing for an end to the Iraq war.

:rolleyes:

FORD
02-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Dupe thread. We have more than exhausted this subject here (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32659)