X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Savicki
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Triumph "rock 'n roll machine" (1978)

Does anyone agree that Rik Emmett's solo in that song resembles the 2-finger tap?
    I figured if the debut VH was released before that Triumph album that maybe Rik learned to pick up Ed right away. If not, I wonder if you can play like that without the 2-finger tap.

Does anyone else like Triumph in general?
    sigpic
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

I like Triumph big time. Excellent in concert to. Saw Malmsteen open for them, though the year escapes me.

Best album in my opinion was "Allied Forces".

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

Oh hell yeah, very underrated....

Very big in Canada of course....

Grab their "Live at the US Festival" CD/DVD....

Excellent....
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Steve Savicki
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I heard Triumph had some of the best light shows in the time.
        What are the hits off of "Allied"? Recognize the album, just not the songs that go with them.
        sigpic

Comment

• pardo

Triumph Stages is one of my favorite live albums of all time! Listen to the unaccompanied solo on that - incredible! And Riks solo acoustic version of Hold On shows what a talent that guy was! Very very good!

That part in Rock and Roll Machine does sound like 2 handed tapping. But he was pulling off to open strings.

Comment

• Steve Savicki
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

What are open strings?
            sigpic

Comment

• Full Bug
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

Cant go wrong listening to classic Triumph, a shame Rik Emmet turned into such an asshole, he turned into some classical guitar player and wont even mention the cool stuff he did with Triumph anymore, ever see the video for When The Lights Go Down or Never Surrender? Great stuff.....
              Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• Full Bug
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

Speaking of Triumph, here is a little thing I just came across about the bassist talking about the US Fest and Van Halen.....
                ===============================
                "The night before, there was a lot of camaraderie," recalls Triumph bass player Mike Levine fondly, "But the day of, everybody just kind of kept to themselves. The night before, when I checked into the hotel - which was I guess a motel more than anything else; it was the closest place to where the park was - I had checked into my room, but outside they had set up a real nice patio and stuff and some heli-pads, whatever you call it where choppers land. And there was Mike Anthony yelling to me, 'Hey Levine, get over here, get over here,' so we started drinking and then Eddie came by and then Roth came by and a couple guys from Scorpions came by and pretty soon it was a party, and next thing I knew, it was two in the morning. I was pretty good in my day, but I certainly can't hold a candle to those guys. They put me under. Everybody was just hanging out. The L.A. bands arrived day of. I didn't see Ozzy. He might have stayed in L.A. and then drove to the heli-port, but we met briefly. There was a big press tent where a lot of us were hanging out day of. It was a hell of an event, let me tell you."
                Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• pardo

Yeah, Rik thinks he's Leona Boyde now or somethin. Don't know why he doesn't like to revel in the Triumph years. I'd talk peoples ears off about it! Last time I saw him, he was doing a duet of Looking Out For Number One (that what its called? That jazz one) with Randy Bachman on tv. Rik played some cool shit for the solo, but Randy reeeeeally laid down some incredible shit.

Open strings are when you don't touch the guitar with your left hand and pick a string. The string is not fretted.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Steve Savicki
                    I heard Triumph had some of the best light shows in the time.
                    What are the hits off of "Allied"? Recognize the album, just not the songs that go with them.
                    Rik Emmett was a hell of a vocalist to in my opinion.

Some of the better from that album was:

Allied Forces
                    Fight The Good Fight
                    Magic Power
                    Say Goodbye
                    Ordinary Man
                    Fool For your Love

Good chit man.

Comment

• Full Bug
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

I liked the way the band shared vocals on stuff, like on Killing Time from Thunder Seven, and on a bunch of others, dont see many bands that do that anymore, or ever did for that matter, Gil Moore wasnt as good as Rik, but he wasnt bad either.....

Comment

• pardo

I always thought Gil could hit notes, but there wasn't much to his voice. Rik was much better I thought. I liked Mike Levine - a big lumbering whiskey drinkin bassist with a sense of humour. Played keys too which kept Rik away from them. The proper thing!

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Wasn't 1986's "sport of kings" the last one they did as an original lineup?
                          sigpic

Comment

• Full Bug
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Steve Savicki
                            Wasn't 1986's "sport of kings" the last one they did as an original lineup?
                            Yeah, good thing too, that album sucks in my view.....
                            One of the few bands I was into in those days that I never caught live, not sure why but regret not doing so.....
                            I have to pick up that US Fest DVD, looking forward to watching that, havent seen it around in any music stores though....
                            Last edited by Full Bug; 04-07-2004, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by pardo
                              Open strings are when you don't touch the guitar with your left hand and pick a string. The string is not fretted.
                              Under the assumption you're right-handed, of course....

Just had to throw that in, I'm a southpaw....
                              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...