Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt White
    • Jun 2004

Actor Franklin Cover Dies at Age 77

LOS ANGELES (Feb. 10) - Franklin Cover, who became a familiar face as George and Louise Jefferson's white neighbor in the long-running TV sitcom "The Jeffersons," has died, his publicist said Thursday. He was 77.

Cover died of pneumonia Sunday at the Lillian Booth Actor's Fund of America home in Englewood, N.J., said publicist Dale Olson. He had been living at the home since December 2005 while recuperating from a heart condition.

In his nearly six decades in show business, Cover made numerous appearances on television shows, including "The Jackie Gleason Show," "All in the Family," "Who's the Boss?" "Will & Grace," "Living Single," "Mad About You" and "ER."

He began his career on the stage, appearing in Shakespeare's "Hamlet" and "Henry IV," and later in numerous Broadway productions, including "Any Wednesday," "Wild Honey and "Born Yesterday."

But Cover was best known for his role as Tom Willis, who was in an interracial marriage with a black woman, in "The Jeffersons."

He and his wife lived in the same "deluxe apartment" building that Sherman Hemsley moved his family to after making money in the dry-cleaning business. There, Cover often played a comic foil to Hemsley's blustering, opinionated black businessman. The show ran from 1975 to 1985.

Cover also appeared in several films, including "The Great Gatsby," "The Stepford Wives" and "Wall Street."

He is survived by his widow, Mary, a son and a daughter.

RIP CRACKER
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

Another one bites the dust ....

R.I.P.
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

RIP.

Some of the funniest moments on the Jeffersons were with Tom Willis and George.

Remember when George used to call the couple "Zebra"?

LMAO!!!

Not sure if TV sitcoms could get away with that today.
      =V V=
      ole No.1 The finest
      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

R.I.P.
        Originally posted by conmee
        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
        Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
        I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
        Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
        Originally posted by eddie78
        I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

Working...