PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with your guitar - question for anyone

fe_lung
02-17-2006, 02:18 PM
I'm flying cross country next week and want to take my guitar but I only have a basic guitar case. Anyone know if this is sufficient to survive a plane ride? I'd hate to get there and find nothing but splinters.

Macu
02-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by fe_lung
I'm flying cross country next week and want to take my guitar but I only have a basic guitar case. Anyone know if this is sufficient to survive a plane ride? I'd hate to get there and find nothing but splinters.

I successfully transported two guitars(at the same time) from Germany to the States in "regular"guitar cases,no problem.I once was able to take one onboard an overseas flight where it was handled by the crew.That is my experience.If something goes wrong,dont come crying to me.Generally speaking,I wouldnt worry about it.The bigger worry would be theft,I think.You can insure it,like any luggage,or,get a flight case as well.I dont think that the normal handling will damage the guitar if its in a reasonably good,regular case.Please dont thank me for this information.Simply send me money.:D

jhale667
02-17-2006, 11:07 PM
One thing I would suggest is duct-taping the case around the latches...that way even if one busts your case isn't going to fly open unexpectedly. I've seen touring musicians fly their guitars in regular cases using that method, believe it or not....

But like Macu says, if something goes wrong, don't come cryin' to me either....;)

Nitro Express
02-17-2006, 11:09 PM
If the guitar is a Strat, the baggage handlers could toss it around like firewood and it would be fine. If it's a Gibson it doesn't take much to bust the peghead off.

I think Willie Nelson, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Eddie Van Halen had the answer. Play pieces of shit so you don't worry about what happens to them.

jhale667
02-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Another thing...loosen your strings 'til they're slack, or the pressure changes in the cargo bay will twist your neck like a pretzel...

Or you could also get a gig bag and take it as a carry-on...

sagebrush
02-23-2006, 12:38 AM
I took a jackson kelly over seas and it did great with the stock jackson case .But duck tape it or run a rope lock around it so it don't get '' lost '' .

jackassrock
02-23-2006, 11:07 AM
I just took a Les Paul in it's Gibson case to Europe. Both ailines I used let me take it with me and it either went in the overhead, or the crew closet up front. Same deal with my bass player. They let him bring on his big assed coffin case.

I have heard many nasty stories about what pressure changes in the cargo bay can do to a guitar though. You might want to check with the airline about their policy.

classey
03-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Just came back from florida,worked great with my telecaster in the overhead compartment.My first tattoo did work out well to.