• Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Curt Gowdy Dies

By RICHARD SANDOMIR
    Published: February 21, 2006

Curt Gowdy, the Wyoming-bred outdoorsman whose voice defined big-game network television sportscasting during the 1960's and '70's, died yesterday. He was 86.

Gowdy, an avid outdoorsman, was host of a show on ABC.
    Mr. Gowdy died at his home in Palm Beach, Fla., after a long battle with leukemia, said a spokesman for Mr. Gowdy's son, Curt Jr., the executive producer of SportsNet New York.

Nicknamed the Cowboy, Mr. Gowdy was the quintessential generalist of the pre-cable-television era, serving as the No. 1 announcer at NBC Sports for many of the premier events in baseball, football and college basketball.

He was not a lyrical larger-than-life announcer but a plainspoken low-key listen who modeled his objective style on that of the great announcer Red Barber, who called games for the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Yankees.

"I'm no cheerleader," Mr. Gowdy once said. "Besides, you have to instill confidence in your listeners."

In an extraordinary run that showed his multisport versatility, he called 7 Super Bowls from 1967 to 1979, 10 consecutive World Series from 1966 to 1975, 12 Rose Bowls, 24 N.C.A.A. men's basketball championship games and 7 Olympics. ABC Sports had wooed him to be the first play-by-play announcer for "Monday Night Football," but NBC would not release him from his contract.

While most of his network assignments were for NBC, he was the host of "The American Sportsman" for ABC. The program played to his lifelong love of the outdoors (a state park is named for him in Wyoming) and served as a counterbalance in pace and content to the high-adrenaline games he called. With no one keeping score, Mr. Gowdy hunted and fished for 20 years with the likes of Bing Crosby; the bandleader Phil Harris; the actors Peter O'Toole and Robert Stack; former President Jimmy Carter and his wife, Rosalynn; and the former Boston Red Sox slugger Ted Williams, one of his closest friends.

"Harris was an excellent wing shot," Mr. Gowdy told The New York Times in 1984 before the program's 20th and final season. "Some years ago, we did a pheasant-hunting show in Nebraska, and he showed up with a 28-gauge Winchester pump. When our Nebraska host saw it, he said, 'Mr. Harris, I'm not being smart, but these Nebraska pheasants are big and tough and you can't bring them down with that little thing.' He was wrong."

Curtis Gowdy was born in Green River, Wyo., where his father, a Union Pacific Railroad superintendent, taught him to hunt and fish.

"I was a very lucky guy," he said in 2002. "I grew up in Wyoming. My father was the best fly fisherman in the state. We had free access to prime-time fishing and hunting. The outdoors was a way of life for me. I should have paid them to host 'American Sportsman.' "

At the University of Wyoming, he was an accomplished basketball and tennis player. A spine injury cut short his Army Air Corps service, enabling him to start his sportscasting career on a radio station in Cheyenne, Wyo. He made his debut standing on a wooden grocery crate, calling a football game between two six-man teams.

Success in Cheyenne led him to Oklahoma, and at a propitious time: Bud Wilkinson was coaching the University of Oklahoma football team and Hank Iba was coaching the basketball team at Oklahoma A&M, which became Oklahoma State.

But it was in New York that Mr. Gowdy truly learned his craft. In 1949 and 1950, he was Mel Allen's partner on Yankees radio broadcasts on WINS-AM. Recalling those years in Curt Smith's book "Voices of the Game," Mr. Gowdy said Mr. Allen taught him "how far from a hotshot I was."

"Timing, organization, reading a commercial — I had so many bad habits, but Mel's polish helped me learn," Mr. Gowdy said. Rather than linger as an apprentice to the popular Mr. Allen, who died in 1996, Mr. Gowdy wanted to be a baseball team's lead announcer. So he left for Boston, where he called Red Sox games for the next 15 seasons.

Perhaps his most memorable moment as the voice of the Red Sox was his call of Ted Williams's final at-bat in the major leagues, on Sept. 28, 1960:

"Everybody quiet now here at Fenway Park after they gave him a standing ovation of two minutes knowing that this is probably his last time at bat. One out, nobody on, last of the eighth inning. Jack Fisher into his windup, here's the pitch. Williams swings — and there's a long drive to deep right! The ball is going and it is gone! A home run for Ted Williams in his last time at bat in the major leagues!"

Mr. Gowdy also famously called the Jets' victory in Super Bowl III in 1969 over the heavily favored Baltimore Colts; the game demonstrated to National Football League stalwarts that the upstart American Football League was its equal.

A few months before, Mr. Gowdy and his partner, Al DeRogatis, were involved in the infamous "Heidi" game. The Jets were ahead of the Oakland Raiders, 32-29, with 65 seconds left when NBC, at 7 p.m., switched to a scheduled showing of a film about the Swiss girl Heidi. The Raiders went on to score two touchdowns to win, but Mr. Gowdy's final calls were heard by no one.

"I didn't know we were off the air," Mr. Gowdy said in an interview with The St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "When the game was over, I was packing to get out of there, and the stage manager yelled at me, 'Hey, you've got to do those two touchdowns again!' " Mr. Gowdy quickly returned to the booth to reconstruct his call, which ran on NBC's news programs and on the next morning's "Today" show.

In 1970, he became the first sports broadcaster to win the George Foster Peabody Award. But five years later, NBC forced him off the baseball beat, replacing him with Joe Garagiola a month after Mr. Gowdy called the 1975 World Series. The network denied that its decision had resulted from an accusation by an American League umpire, Larry Barnett, that Mr. Gowdy and Tony Kubek, his broadcast partner during the Series, had partly been responsible for threats on the lives of Mr. Barnett and his family. The announcers, especially Mr. Kubek, said that Mr. Barnett had failed to call interference on a Cincinnati Reds pinch-hitter in Game 3 of the Series against the Red Sox.

Without baseball, Mr. Gowdy fulfilled his NBC contract by calling football and other events before leaving the network to call baseball for CBS Radio.

In later years, he was the host and producer of "The Way It Was," a public television series in which a panel of former players reminisced about great games. He also provided historic commentary for the HBO sports program "Inside the NFL."

Mr. Gowdy became wealthy through his ownership of five radio stations, a business that he started to pursue when a back problem kept him from working for part of the 1957 baseball season and made him wonder if he would return to sportscasting, his son Curt Jr. said. Mr. Gowdy is also survived by his wife, Jerre; another son, Trevor; a daughter, Cheryl Ann; and five grandchildren.

In 2003, Mr. Gowdy returned to Fenway Park to call a Red Sox game against the Yankees as part of an ESPN promotion that brought back great broadcasters. He thought at the end of the game that he could have done better.

"We'll give you another chance," ESPN's Chris Berman said.

"Call me back," Mr. Gowdy said.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • Sarge's Little Helper
    Commando
    • Mar 2003

By RICHARD SANDOMIR
    Published: February 21, 2006

Curt Gowdy, the Wyoming-bred outdoorsman whose voice defined big-game network television sportscasting during the 1960's and '70's, died yesterday. He was 86.

Gowdy, an avid outdoorsman, was host of a show on ABC.
    Mr. Gowdy died at his home in Palm Beach, Fla., after a long battle with leukemia, said a spokesman for Mr. Gowdy's son, Curt Jr., the executive producer of SportsNet New York.

Nicknamed the Cowboy, Mr. Gowdy was the quintessential generalist of the pre-cable-television era, serving as the No. 1 announcer at NBC Sports for many of the premier events in baseball, football and college basketball.

He was not a lyrical larger-than-life announcer but a plainspoken low-key listen who modeled his objective style on that of the great announcer Red Barber, who called games for the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Yankees.

"I'm no cheerleader," Mr. Gowdy once said. "Besides, you have to instill confidence in your listeners."

In an extraordinary run that showed his multisport versatility, he called 7 Super Bowls from 1967 to 1979, 10 consecutive World Series from 1966 to 1975, 12 Rose Bowls, 24 N.C.A.A. men's basketball championship games and 7 Olympics. ABC Sports had wooed him to be the first play-by-play announcer for "Monday Night Football," but NBC would not release him from his contract.

While most of his network assignments were for NBC, he was the host of "The American Sportsman" for ABC. The program played to his lifelong love of the outdoors (a state park is named for him in Wyoming) and served as a counterbalance in pace and content to the high-adrenaline games he called. With no one keeping score, Mr. Gowdy hunted and fished for 20 years with the likes of Bing Crosby; the bandleader Phil Harris; the actors Peter O'Toole and Robert Stack; former President Jimmy Carter and his wife, Rosalynn; and the former Boston Red Sox slugger Ted Williams, one of his closest friends.

"Harris was an excellent wing shot," Mr. Gowdy told The New York Times in 1984 before the program's 20th and final season. "Some years ago, we did a pheasant-hunting show in Nebraska, and he showed up with a 28-gauge Winchester pump. When our Nebraska host saw it, he said, 'Mr. Harris, I'm not being smart, but these Nebraska pheasants are big and tough and you can't bring them down with that little thing.' He was wrong."

Curtis Gowdy was born in Green River, Wyo., where his father, a Union Pacific Railroad superintendent, taught him to hunt and fish.

"I was a very lucky guy," he said in 2002. "I grew up in Wyoming. My father was the best fly fisherman in the state. We had free access to prime-time fishing and hunting. The outdoors was a way of life for me. I should have paid them to host 'American Sportsman.' "

At the University of Wyoming, he was an accomplished basketball and tennis player. A spine injury cut short his Army Air Corps service, enabling him to start his sportscasting career on a radio station in Cheyenne, Wyo. He made his debut standing on a wooden grocery crate, calling a football game between two six-man teams.

Success in Cheyenne led him to Oklahoma, and at a propitious time: Bud Wilkinson was coaching the University of Oklahoma football team and Hank Iba was coaching the basketball team at Oklahoma A&M, which became Oklahoma State.

But it was in New York that Mr. Gowdy truly learned his craft. In 1949 and 1950, he was Mel Allen's partner on Yankees radio broadcasts on WINS-AM. Recalling those years in Curt Smith's book "Voices of the Game," Mr. Gowdy said Mr. Allen taught him "how far from a hotshot I was."

"Timing, organization, reading a commercial — I had so many bad habits, but Mel's polish helped me learn," Mr. Gowdy said. Rather than linger as an apprentice to the popular Mr. Allen, who died in 1996, Mr. Gowdy wanted to be a baseball team's lead announcer. So he left for Boston, where he called Red Sox games for the next 15 seasons.

Perhaps his most memorable moment as the voice of the Red Sox was his call of Ted Williams's final at-bat in the major leagues, on Sept. 28, 1960:

"Everybody quiet now here at Fenway Park after they gave him a standing ovation of two minutes knowing that this is probably his last time at bat. One out, nobody on, last of the eighth inning. Jack Fisher into his windup, here's the pitch. Williams swings — and there's a long drive to deep right! The ball is going and it is gone! A home run for Ted Williams in his last time at bat in the major leagues!"

Mr. Gowdy also famously called the Jets' victory in Super Bowl III in 1969 over the heavily favored Baltimore Colts; the game demonstrated to National Football League stalwarts that the upstart American Football League was its equal.

A few months before, Mr. Gowdy and his partner, Al DeRogatis, were involved in the infamous "Heidi" game. The Jets were ahead of the Oakland Raiders, 32-29, with 65 seconds left when NBC, at 7 p.m., switched to a scheduled showing of a film about the Swiss girl Heidi. The Raiders went on to score two touchdowns to win, but Mr. Gowdy's final calls were heard by no one.

"I didn't know we were off the air," Mr. Gowdy said in an interview with The St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "When the game was over, I was packing to get out of there, and the stage manager yelled at me, 'Hey, you've got to do those two touchdowns again!' " Mr. Gowdy quickly returned to the booth to reconstruct his call, which ran on NBC's news programs and on the next morning's "Today" show.

In 1970, he became the first sports broadcaster to win the George Foster Peabody Award. But five years later, NBC forced him off the baseball beat, replacing him with Joe Garagiola a month after Mr. Gowdy called the 1975 World Series. The network denied that its decision had resulted from an accusation by an American League umpire, Larry Barnett, that Mr. Gowdy and Tony Kubek, his broadcast partner during the Series, had partly been responsible for threats on the lives of Mr. Barnett and his family. The announcers, especially Mr. Kubek, said that Mr. Barnett had failed to call interference on a Cincinnati Reds pinch-hitter in Game 3 of the Series against the Red Sox.

Without baseball, Mr. Gowdy fulfilled his NBC contract by calling football and other events before leaving the network to call baseball for CBS Radio.

In later years, he was the host and producer of "The Way It Was," a public television series in which a panel of former players reminisced about great games. He also provided historic commentary for the HBO sports program "Inside the NFL."

Mr. Gowdy became wealthy through his ownership of five radio stations, a business that he started to pursue when a back problem kept him from working for part of the 1957 baseball season and made him wonder if he would return to sportscasting, his son Curt Jr. said. Mr. Gowdy is also survived by his wife, Jerre; another son, Trevor; a daughter, Cheryl Ann; and five grandchildren.

In 2003, Mr. Gowdy returned to Fenway Park to call a Red Sox game against the Yankees as part of an ESPN promotion that brought back great broadcasters. He thought at the end of the game that he could have done better.

"We'll give you another chance," ESPN's Chris Berman said.

"Call me back," Mr. Gowdy said.
    Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.
    "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

Comment

• LoungeMachine
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Sarge's Little Helper
      Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.
      One of my Fave sportscasters died, you heartless cunt.

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

reprinted from my Red Sox 2006 thread...

RIP Curt Gowdy.

Game 2 of the 04 World Series at Fenway Park...im under the stands behind home plate watching the game on one of the TV's...'ol Curt Gowdy comes walking up between innings to the beer stand and gets a cold one...no one but me notices who he is...my buddy is working the Legal Seafood stand at the end of the ramp behind home plate...he collects autographs during batting practice with me...I knew he had a baseball with him, so I went and got it from him...Curt is standing there, dressed in a black overcoat with a black cowboy hat watching the start of the inning on the TV...I approach him and say "Mr. Gowdy, can I get your autograph?" He looks at me, motions me to hold his beer, and signs the baseball. I thanked him, and he shuffled off to his seat. I watched him until he was up the ramp and I couldnt see him anymore. Just by himself, going to get a beer between innings like you or I would do...shuffling that 'old man' shuffle...
        Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• LoungeMachine
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Great story PA

Comment

• redblkwht
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
            One of my Fave sportscasters died, you heartless cunt.

LMFAO..

sorry for the loss fellas,
            classic announcer for sure!

he was indeed awesome.

EUAS

Comment

• Bob_R
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

RIP Curt.
              Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Some of my earliest memories were watching the Game of the Week with him in the early 70's....

RIP...
                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ALinChainz
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                  Some of my earliest memories were watching the Game of the Week with him in the early 70's....

RIP...
                  Damn straight.

One of the classic sports voices of my lifetime.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

I don't think people realize how big Gowdy was back in the day...

he did fucking EVERYTHING!!!

Game of the Week...football...basketball...was on every weekend....and usually 2 or three times...

Gowdy was one of the best...of all time...if not THE best...

it's funny...but in the 70's when EVERYONE hated Cosell...Gowdy was the guy on the other end that everyone loved...

funny that the villian is the one everyone remembers...
                    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

Fans, friends remember broadcaster Gowdy
                      Feb. 25, 2006
                      CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

BOSTON -- A banner hanging outside Fenway Park said it all: "Thanks, Curt," as Boston bid farewell Saturday to the man whose voice gave fans a front-row seat at events from the World Series to the Super Bowl.

Curt Gowdy's funeral procession circled the famed ballpark, pausing at the banner before heading to historic Trinity Church in Back Bay.

"He loved the city of Boston, he loved New England and he loved the Boston Red Sox," Curt Gowdy Jr. said at the church. "He's smiling right now and thanking all of you."

Gowdy died at 86 Monday of leukemia at his winter home in Palm Beach, Fla. The Wyoming native had kept a home in the Boston area since 1951, when he began a 15-year run as play-by-play broadcaster for the Red Sox.

A billboard-sized banner showed Gowdy at the mike at Fenway last Aug. 28 for an appreciation that was his last visit to his beloved ballpark. Gowdy knew his health was failing.

"The crowd showed their appreciation but they didn't know they were saying goodbye. He knew it," said Charles Steinberg, the team's executive vice president for public affairs.

It was an emotional moment as the family paused at the banner.

"We were all pretty much in tears," Gowdy Jr. said.

Former Republican Sen. Alan Simpson delivered the eulogy. Simpson was touched to see construction workers pausing from their work and putting their hard hats over their hearts as the hearse drove by Fenway Park.

"That's true love," he said.

Gowdy was known for his amiable description of big events, including 13 World Series, 16 All-Star baseball games, numerous Rose Bowls and NCAA Final Fours. He covered the first Super Bowl and the 1976 Olympics.

In fact, basketball may have been his first love when it came to sports, said Simpson, who described Gowdy as "unselfish, courageous, warm, wise, witty, and fun loving."

Simpson was just 10 years old when he first met Gowdy, who was then playing for the University of Wyoming basketball team. The Cowboys won the national championship in 1943, the year after Gowdy graduated.

"Curt always remained totally puzzled as to how the team could attain such heights without his presence," Simpson said to ripples of laughter through the cavernous church.

Gowdy spent two years as an announcer for the New York Yankees before moving to Boston. He was the voice of NBC's baseball Game of the Week from 1966-75 and hosted the American Sportsman on ABC from the early 1960s into the 1980s.

AP NEWS
                      The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
                      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Dick Enberg ... Vin Scully ... Keith Jackson ... Gowdy ... Jim McKay ...

I know I'm forgetting some ... but all classic voices from my sports life growing up ...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

I actually made a list in a thread in one of the other forums that had the same names...

I don't THINK my list would have any more names than that...

minus some local folks...of course...

I think back to the Bowls that I watched...and the World Series...and it was always Enberg, or Scully for baseball...but Gowdy and Keith Jackson were probably the two I first remember...from college football (both)...and McKay from the Wide World of Sports...

but I think you hit all the old school guys...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Yeah, I didn't grow up with Chick Hearn or Hot Rod Hundley ... or Jack Buck ... which someone could mention ...

I guess I could add Summerall and Brookshier ... with Cosell.

Comment

• thome
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Mar 2005

Was his voice the voice on the agony of defeat... abc sports?

Pojo is rite he was everywhere i remember his voice ..RIP.

Comment

Working...