X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shaun Ponsonby
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Oct 2004

The Who to play Liverpool Summer Pops festival

ROCK legends The Who are to play Liverpool's Summer Pops.

And not once but TWICE Ringo Starr's son Zak Starkey will be their drummer for the double whammy in July.

Today, Who frontman Roger Daltrey told the ECHO: "We can't wait to be back in Liverpool.

"It's been almost 40 years." Daltrey and fellow original Who legend Pete Townshend play the 4,000-seater big top on July 5 and 6.

A quick sell-out is expected when tickets go on sale at 9am NEXT Friday, February 24.

Prices range from £34.50 to 42.50. The concerts are the band's only dates in the north.

It will be the first time they have performed in Liverpool since a date at Liverpool University in October 1971.

The gigs come as The Who prepare to release their first album of new material for two decades. But the emphasis of the Liverpool programme will feature back catalogue mega-hits such as My Generation and Pinball Wizard.

Roger Daltrey said: "Liverpool has such a great musical history. I can't believe it's been almost four decades since we played there. We're really looking forward to the show."

You bet yo ass I'm getting those tickets first thing.
    Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?
  • Mr. Vengeance
    Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Time for The Who to give it up.....sorry. It's time. The Stones have at least got Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie (been there 30 years)...

The Who need to give it up. Along with their 30 farewell tours.
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Rikk
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Gee...again...sorry I really enjoyed the WHO show I saw three years ago. Funny, but they sound a lot better live these days than the STONES do.
      Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
      Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

Well, because there is only one instrumentalist who is an original member...all the rest are hired guns.,...

The Stones have their share of backup singers, horn sections, etc. but the focus is on the classic lineup....so as shitty as they sound, say, when they play at a Superbowl or something, at least they still have 3 instrumentalists who are original.
        Charlie always sounds fine...it is the frakking guitar players who sound like crap....

Gaw' bless Keef & Ronnie, but at least their old studio recordings had good performances....all I ever hear live these days is some raggly sounding shit with a bunch of yelling going on courtesy of their spastic monkey....

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Oct 2004

Hey, judging by Live 8, they are sounding tight and as solid as ever. The "Live In Boston" DVD from 2004 kicks ass, too.
          Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Casemeister
            Head Fluffer
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
            Time for The Who to give it up.....sorry. It's time. The Stones have at least got Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie (been there 30 years)...

The Who need to give it up. Along with their 30 farewell tours.
            Have you seen or heard them live lately? They're awesome.

They did do a farewell tour in 1982, yes, and the '89 tour was considered a one-off, but they don't seem to be claiming each tour is their last anymore. They're doing good work and a lot of people are enjoying it -- there's no reason for them to quit.

It'd be great to have John and Keith around, just to see what would be possible, but Daltrey and Townshend are still great performers, and that's what matters.
            Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002. RIP, Hoss!

Comment

• Casemeister
              Head Fluffer
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
              Hey, judging by Live 8, they are sounding tight and as solid as ever. The "Live In Boston" DVD from 2004 kicks ass, too.
              And they didn't even have Zak that night! Whoa. I don't think Live 8 was as good as Live in Boston or the show I saw in 2004 (I have the live CD of it too), but it was damn good anyway. I regularly play that CD of the show I saw and I enjoy it as if it were a "real" live album!

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Oct 2004

Considering they were rushed on and rushed off, and they were only announced the night before on Friday Night with Jonathon Ross (and I didn't even see that. I was expecting Floyd to come on and Peter Kay said "Please welcome...The Spice Girls" and a little bit inside of me died. Then, when he said "What? The Who? The Who...", I sorta sat up a bit), I thought they played better than 98% of the other acts on the bill. It was gone 11pm by the time they came on, with them all having free bus passes now, it was probably a little later than they are used to playing. But, anyways, the point is, I hadn't heard any recent live stuff from them, and I was shocked by how good they sounded.
                Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Casemeister
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Feb 2004

Considering they were rushed on and rushed off, and they were only announced the night before on Friday Night with Jonathon Ross (and I didn't even see that. I was expecting Floyd to come on and Peter Kay said "Please welcome...The Spice Girls" and a little bit inside of me died. Then, when he said "What? The Who? The Who...", I sorta sat up a bit), I thought they played better than 98% of the other acts on the bill. It was gone 11pm by the time they came on, with them all having free bus passes now, it was probably a little later than they are used to playing. But, anyways, the point is, I hadn't heard any recent live stuff from them, and I was shocked by how good they sounded.
                  Oh, yeah.. I didn't mean they sounded bad.. I just meant they sounded better with Zak. The Live 8 gig was good. Like I said, it's not as good as others, but it's still awesome. I really liked it.

(Watching the '89 "Hits" portion of the Tommy/Quadrophenia DVDs now )
                  Last edited by Casemeister; 03-01-2006, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Oct 2004

I haven't got that DVD yet, but I plan to (wait until its gone down in price a bit).
                    Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• katie
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Nov 2004

Dalterys voice is fucked these days

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Oct 2004

Its not that bad, when you consider his age. I mean, I can't imagine my grandad doing what he does.
                        Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• katie
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Nov 2004

Its not that bad, when you consider his age. I mean, I can't imagine my grandad doing what he does.

Shaun

He has alot of trouble with it.
                          On the last tour it was terrible.
                          Live 8 he got by as it was a one off and a *very* short set.

I am not having a dig it really hurts me to say it as The Who are one of my all time bands.

Check out my trade list

Just giving you the facts

Katie

Comment

• Casemeister
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Feb 2004

I saw the last tour. I have the double CD of my show. Daltrey sounds great, IMO. How many guys his age can still hit the notes they were hitting in the early '70s? He does it. His voice DOES sound older, but it IS older

I personally like the way he sounds today. What is cool about Roger is that he doesn't lose his voice towards the end of the show. He can hit the same high note and the start and end of the show.

I wasn't expecting an amazing show when I saw them, but I sure got one, and I listen to the live CDs of that show as if they're a real live album, because the performances are that good!

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Oct 2004

Is that double CD where you pay before the show, and around 15 minutes after the show you get a recording of the show you just heard?
                              Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

Working...