• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pharon
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Dec 2005

Now THIS was a great idea...

Bikers roll to military funerals to oppose anti-gay protests
    Tuesday, February 21, 2006; Posted: 7:55 a.m. EST (12:55 GMT)

FORT CAMPBELL, Kentucky (AP) -- Wearing vests covered in military patches, a band of motorcyclists rolls around the country from one soldier's funeral to another, cheering respectfully to overshadow jeers from church protesters.

They call themselves the Patriot Guard Riders, and they are more than 5,000 strong, forming to counter anti-gay protests held by the Rev. Fred Phelps at military funerals.

Phelps believes American deaths in Iraq are divine punishment for a country that he says harbors homosexuals. His protesters carry signs thanking God for so-called IEDs -- explosives that are a major killer of soldiers in Iraq.

The bikers shield the families of dead soldiers from the protesters, and overshadow the jeers with patriotic chants and a sea of red, white and blue flags.

"The most important thing we can do is let families know that the nation cares," said Don Woodrick, the group's Kentucky captain. "When a total stranger gets on a motorcycle in the middle of winter and drives 300 miles to hold a flag, that makes a powerful statement."

At least 14 states are considering laws aimed at the funeral protesters, who at a recent memorial service at Fort Campbell wrapped themselves in upside-down American flags. They danced and sang impromptu songs peppered with vulgarities that condemned homosexuals and soldiers.

The Patriot Guard was also there, waving up a ruckus of support for the families across the street. Community members came in the freezing rain to chant "U-S-A, U-S-A" alongside them.

"This is just the right thing to do. This is something America didn't do in the '70s," said Kurt Mayer, the group's national spokesman. "Whether we agree with why we're over there, these soldiers are dying to protect our freedoms."

Shirley Phelps-Roper, a daughter of Fred Phelps and an attorney for the Topeka, Kansas-based church, said neither state laws nor the Patriot Guard can silence their message that God killed the soldiers because they fought for a country that embraces homosexuals.

"The scriptures are crystal clear that when God sets out to punish a nation, it is with the sword. An IED is just a broken-up sword," Phelps-Roper said. "Since that is his weapon of choice, our forum of choice has got to be a dead soldier's funeral."

The church, Westboro Baptist Church, is not affiliated with a larger denomination and is made up mostly of Fred Phelps' extended family members.

During the 1990s, church members were known mostly for picketing the funerals of AIDS victims, and they have long been tracked as a hate group by the Montgomery, Alabama-based Southern Poverty Law Center's Intelligence Project.

The project's deputy director, Heidi Beirich, said other groups have tried to counter Phelps' message, but none has been as organized as the Patriot Guard.

"I'm not sure anybody has gone to this length to stand in solidarity," she said. "It's nice that these veterans and their supporters are trying to do something. I can't imagine anything worse, your loved one is killed in Iraq and you've got to deal with Fred Phelps."

Kentucky, home to sprawling Fort Campbell along the Tennessee line, was among the first states to attempt to deal with Phelps legislatively. Its House and Senate have each passed bills that would limit people from protesting within 300 feet of a funeral or memorial service. The Senate version would also keep protesters from being within earshot of grieving friends and family members.

Richard Wilbur, a retired police detective, said his Indiana Patriot Guard group only comes to funerals if invited by family. He said he has no problem with protests against the war but sees no place for objectors at a family's final goodbye to a soldier.

"No one deserves this," he said.
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

I agree.

They have to be careful though.

Those cocksuckers from Phelps Church make money by suing people hwo try to prevent them from exercising their right to free speech.

If there was EVER a group of religious zealots who deserved to be crucified, it would be that goddamnable rabble in that fucked church.

FUCK THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!

Comment

• BITEYOASS
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

I'll put in my will that everyone at my funeral will be armed with the weapon of their choice.

Comment

• Pharon
        Roth Army Recruit
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Hardrock69
        Those cocksuckers from Phelps Church make money by suing people hwo try to prevent them from exercising their right to free speech.
        These bikers are using the ultimate weapon, though -- their own right to free speech. They have as much a First Amendment right to be there as these idiotic religious zealots.

And should any of those freaks try to stop them, I hope the bikers decide to exercise their SECOND Amendment rights.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Times like this when I wish I owned a Hog.

I can't agree with the guy who said "this is what we needed in the 1970's" though.

Legitimate protest against an illegitimate war is not only legal and right, but neccessary. Idiots like the Phelps KKKlan don't give a damn about the troops, the anti-war movement OR the country.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Pharon
            Roth Army Recruit
            • Dec 2005

Legitimate protests are healthy, but not when they are directed at the troops coming home from the war, like they were during Vietnam. That is the point the guy was trying to make, I think.

Soldiers have no say as to where or when they are directed to fight. Protests should only be made to the people who actually have the power to stop the fight in the first place -- that is, our elected representatives in government.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

My brothers funeral was two months ago. He died of natural causes but the whole family was numb and emotional. Funerals exist so the family and friends can have some closure and pay their last respects.

If there were some protesters at my brothers funeral I think I would grab a tire iron out of the car and bust some heads. I would be livid.

Yeah, they might have the Constitutional Right to protest but anyone with half a brain knows the First Amendment wasn't to allow asshole to ruin family funerals. They should be outside the White House protesting because that is where the war in Iraq was started. Not some poor soldier or national guardsmen who signed up to help pay for college.

What assholes!
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• 4moreyears
                Commando
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                My brothers funeral was two months ago. He died of natural causes but the whole family was numb and emotional. Funerals exist so the family and friends can have some closure and pay their last respects.

If there were some protesters at my brothers funeral I think I would grab a tire iron out of the car and bust some heads. I would be livid.

Yeah, they might have the Constitutional Right to protest but anyone with half a brain knows the First Amendment wasn't to allow asshole to ruin family funerals. They should be outside the White House protesting because that is where the war in Iraq was started. Not some poor soldier or national guardsmen who signed up to help pay for college.

What assholes!
                Nitro, My condolences on your bro.

Comment

Working...