PDA

View Full Version : Spam & Dave article ....

Diamondjimi
02-21-2006, 10:36 PM
From the "Boulder Weekly" around 2004(I presume)

Diamond Dave vs. Van Hagar

by Alan Sculley

Most artists who do co-headlining tours at least provide the appearance of peace and harmony of two bands united for the love of music and the common good of their beloved fans.

Not David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar.

There's no avoiding that this double bill pits the two former Van Halen singers, who each have staked a claim to being the only legitimate frontman that the heavy metal band ever employed, against each other.

There's no overlooking the many pointed barbs these two have aimed at each other in interviews ever since Roth walked out on Van Halen in 1985 only to see Hagar step into the void, seemingly without missing a beat. If this tour is to be a referendum to once and for all determine which was the mightiest of the Van Halens-the original Roth-led lineup or the Van Hagar unit that consistently topped the charts from 1984 to 1995-Roth seems more than happy to let the people decide.

When it comes to Roth, whose legendary ego and loquacious skills for self-promotion were on blatant display in this interview, there's no mistaking who he thinks will be the real star of this show. "I may have saved Sam from having to do celebrity boxing, at least this season," Roth said.

To hear Roth tell it, he'll not only have no problem overshadowing Hagar's tequila-lubricated, Cabo Wabo-styled on-stage party, he plans to render most any other rock star irrelevant-or at least inferior-by the time he finishes his flamboyant set devoted to his pre-Hagar Van Halen hits.

"I'm at contest with the entire world," Roth declared. "I intend to compete with the fella in Limp Bizkit (that would be Fred Durst), I intend to compete with Snoop Doggy. I intend to compete with Kid Rock.

"Sam just happens to be on the tracks," Roth added, unleashing a hearty laugh. "Nevertheless, any kind of head butting we've been doing in the press makes for great show biz. And it's the kind of altercation an audience delightedly wants to get in the middle of, because you are delivering absolutely the zenith of each guy's performance."

To be fair, both Roth and Hagar are accomplished showmen who plan to give the fans exactly what they want. But what's also fair is the reality that Roth and Hagar need each other-and a tour like this-at this point in their careers.

Hagar has continued to record regularly, but recent CDs such as Red Voodoo and Marching To Mars have found only a modest audience. This is a far cry from the multi-million units his albums with Van Halen (such as 5150, OU812 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge) moved through record store cash registers. As for Roth, he briefly enjoyed success with his 1995 EP Crazy From The Heat and first full-length solo CD, Eat 'Em and Smile. But it's pretty much been downhill ever since, as subsequent albums, such as Skyscraper, A Little Ain't Enough and Your Filthy Mouth, delivered diminishing returns. His most recent effort, a 1998 DLR Band CD, stiffed rather spectacularly, despite getting some favorable reviews.

The fact that Roth has recently endured a pair of failed reunions with his former Van Halen bandmates-guitarist Eddie Van Halen, drummer Alex Van Halen and bassist Michael Anthony-has only reinforced the notion that Roth longs for the glory days of old with his one-time band.

Roth first returned to the Van Halen picture in 1996, recording two songs for a greatest hits album, while Hagar, who was not informed of the pending studio flirtation with Roth, was officially still in the band. A miffed Hagar was soon out of Van Halen, while the Roth reunion imploded over internal tensions after a performance on MTV.

Despite that debacle, Roth and his Van Halen cohorts took another shot at fence mending by recording three new tracks in 2000. Nothing, though, has come of this second reunion. And it's clear that Roth considers this a colossal missed opportunity for Van Halen.

"Eddie Van Halen is guilty of one crime, wasting time," Roth said. "You want to know how valuable a second is? Ask your buddy who almost had a motorcycle accident. Want to know what the value of a millisecond is? Ask the little girl who just got a silver medal. Eddie Van Halen has wasted years, end of story. Besides nobody gives a flat fuck (about Van Halen) if Roth's not in the band."

http://www.boulderweekly.com/archive/061302/overtones.html
Respond: letters@boulderweekly.com

Diamondjimi
02-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Me

"Eddie Van Halen is guilty of one crime, wasting time," Roth said. "You want to know how valuable a second is? Ask your buddy who almost had a motorcycle accident. Want to know what the value of a millisecond is? Ask the little girl who just got a silver medal. Eddie Van Halen has wasted years, end of story. Besides nobody gives a flat fuck (about Van Halen) if Roth's not in the band."

Agreed !

DavidLeeNatra
02-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi
"Besides nobody gives a flat fuck (about Van Halen) if Roth's not in the band."

http://www.boulderweekly.com/archive/061302/overtones.html
Respond: letters@boulderweekly.com

I wonder if anybody gives a flat fuck if he is after all the damage the sisters have done to the legacy of CVH

Don Corleone
02-22-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
I wonder if anybody gives a flat fuck if he is after all the damage the sisters have done to the legacy of CVH

They've done their best to make sure no one gives a fuck either way.

Terry
02-22-2006, 10:02 PM
And in another few years, nobody's gonna care if Dave and Van Halen reunite or not.

The demand and enthusiasm for a CVH reunion lessens with each passing year, as does the likelihood that CVH would be able to reunite and do justice to their own history.

Hell, the way Ed is looking, they don't have one minute to waste if they're gonna do it. Pretty much now or never.