PDA

View Full Version : Depleted Uranium Scandal Explodes - Horrendous US Casualties

Hardrock69
02-22-2006, 09:49 AM
The Preventive Psychiatry Newsletter has written to its subscribers telling them that the real reason the former Veterans Affairs Secretary, Anthony Principi, recently resigned was because he has been involved in a massive scandal covering up the fact that Gulf War Syndrome was caused by the use of depleted uranium, according to the SF Bay View.

In the article Arthur Bernklau, executive director of Veterans for Constitutional Law, reportedly wrote that "thousands of our military have suffered and died from, [and depleted uranium] has finally been identified as the cause of this sickness, eliminating the guessing. The terrible truth is now being revealed." Bernklau went on to detail several alarming statistics. The historical disability rate amongst soldiers last century was about 5 percent, although it approached 10 percent during Vietnam. But due to the use of depleted uranium in the battlefield, 56 percent of the 580,400 solders that served in the first Gulf War were on Permanent Medical Disability by 2000. 11,000 Gulf War veterans are already dead. Now 518,739 Gulf War Veterans, almost all of them, are currently on medical disability.

Principi, under the order of the Bush Administration, had been allegedly covering up the disastrous results of using depleted uranium since 2000. However, with so many soldiers having serious health problems it has become impossible to keep secret.

http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=8018

Seshmeister
02-22-2006, 10:34 AM
At least they chose to be there.

What about the millions of Iraqi kids who are now going to die from cancers in the future?

What fucking genius in armaments came up with this idea anyhoo?

DR CHIP
02-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Here is a very balanced article on the whole DU thing....enjoy

http://www.wise-uranium.org/pdf/dumyths.pdf

Nitro Express
02-22-2006, 12:10 PM
Good article. I would say DU is about as toxic as lead. You really have to have high concentrations of it to be that big of a problem. Lot's of lead dust and solid lead were a result of large heated battles in previouse wars. People still live where those battles raged with very few ill effects.

Now in lead mining areas, like Northern Idaho, they have had to shut whole communities down because of lead contamination of the soil and water supply.

In Bosnia where lots of DU rounds were used, studies are showing DU has little to do with illness and cancer there.

Is the stuff toxic? Yup. Does DU used in a heated battle produce enough toxic dust to be a long-term problem? Debatable.

Hardrock69
02-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Well, consider how many rounds of ammo have been used in Iraq over the past 15years.

MILLIONS of rounds. And counting.

Though on the one side, one may say it is not possible, it actually IS possible.

It might not be probable, but then, statistics do not lie.

knuckleboner
02-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Well, consider how many rounds of ammo have been used in Iraq over the past 15years.

MILLIONS of rounds. And counting.

millions of rounds of depleted uranium?

somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought that DU shells were mostly anti-vehicle shells. fired from other vehicles like the A-10.

your average infantry weapon is not firing depleted uranium, right?

DLR'sCock
02-22-2006, 06:18 PM
let's aim at you and see what ya think, eh?

Hardrock69
02-23-2006, 12:31 AM
BOOM

:D

Nitro Express
02-23-2006, 01:04 AM
Yeah, the depleted uranium is used as a penetrator. On the tank rounds it's basically a huge dart made of DP. In cannon and rifle rounds it an insert in the projectile.

DP is basically an armor penetrator. Tungsten has been used in armor piercing rounds as well and that is what you find in the small rifle cartriges used in machines guns and assault rifles.

The US Military uses two calibers in small arms. 7.62 NATO and 5.56 NATO. The 5.56 is what the M-16 and SAR machine gun shoot and that is probably the majority of rounds being used. If I remember right the 5.56 Natio round is basically a .223 Remington with stronger brass and loaded up to maximum velocity. The bullet is a 60 grain full metal jacket bullet eiether with lead, a tungsten penetrator.

It's basically a souped up verson of what we shot in Vietnam and we filled that country full of 5.56 rounds.

knuckleboner
02-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
let's aim at you and see what ya think, eh?

uh...ok.

howitzers at dawn?

Nitro Express
02-23-2006, 10:26 PM
I can get you a 155mm howletzer but the hydrolic system on it needs to be fixed and I don't know where you would buy ammo for it.

BigBadBrian
02-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I can get you a 155mm howletzer but the hydrolic system on it needs to be fixed and I don't know where you would buy ammo for it.

I got a friend that can manage that. Another friend that could probably fix that hydraulic system on the howitzer.

My money is on kb. :D

Nitro Express
02-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Good! Now I just need to figure out how to steal it from the National Guard Armory.

DLR'sCock
02-24-2006, 10:05 PM
well I wasn't necessarily speaking to kb directly, but moreso anyone who sees no problem with the du issue....

i mean if one is kool with something, then well they should be down for going with it, eh'?

the point is not meant to be funny at all, but I guess some people have no problem with what these soldiers are going through as a result of their exposure....nevermind the millions of innocent "collaterals"...

knuckleboner
02-27-2006, 09:04 AM
dude, of course most of us care.

but the fact is that war is war. it's a dangerous business.

no, i don't want U.S. soldiers harmed by the use of toxic materials.

but i ALSO don't want them dying because an enemy tank got off an extra round before we destroyed it. if science some day shows that depleted uranium causes long-lasting health problems for soldiers with normal, expected exposure, then i'm all for us looking for alternatives.

but until then, it's howitzer time!