X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sagebrush
    Head Fluffer
    • Oct 2005

Yard sale guitars good or bad ?

Last week i was out and passed a yard sale and just like magnet pulling me back i had to go look . I found a old yamaha amp 50 watt one 12 and i asked the man '' how much '' 20 bucks he told me he would through in a guitar for 20$ more . He went and got a old peavey t 25 just like new with all the paper work a set of black diamond strings ( that was rusted into dust ) a fender strap and some fender picks . Came home put some 9s on it set it up and i love it . so what do you think 40$ for a working amp and a killer old guitar ? Have you found a good guitar at yard sales ?
  • BrownSound1
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Mar 2003

My brother in law found an old Fender Jazzmaster in the trash. Nothing really wrong with it except it is missing the vibrato bar and needs a set up. He asked me if I wanted it, but I hate those guitars so I told him to keep it.

I'm still holding out hope that some little old lady will have a '58 Les Paul flame top in a garage sale for 50 bucks.

Comment

• sagebrush
      Head Fluffer
      • Oct 2005

Comment

• sagebrush
        Head Fluffer
        • Oct 2005

Comment

• Don Corleone
          Veteran
          • May 2004

You can find some good stuff at sales like this. Alot of the time you find that these people were bought a guitar/amp as a present and have never bothered to learn how to play - so they want to off load it (there's nothing wrong the guitar that a new set of strings and a set up can't cure).
          Roth Army Militia

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Those Peavey T-25's T-60 guitars and T-40 Bass guitars are strange but top quality!

The pickups work fantastic and the electronics on the T-40 and T-60 are set up neat...

Good job!

Comment

• sagebrush
              Head Fluffer
              • Oct 2005

Thank you . Im going out this week end to try to find some more good deals .

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

You can make some good scores when someone dies and the family is trying to get rid of the stuff so they can sell the house. That's when good old insturments cared for and stored correctly come out for a garage sale and you may luck out.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Man. There's no way in hell a Fender Jazzmaster can ever be made to look cool. Those things make me think of the rythum guitarist on Lawrence Welk or something.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Matt White
                    • Jun 2004

"And a One and a Two and a...."

Good Work...

You never know what you might find...........................

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                      You can make some good scores when someone dies and the family is trying to get rid of the stuff so they can sell the house. That's when good old insturments cared for and stored correctly come out for a garage sale and you may luck out.

I knew of someone who had a friend whose wife wanted to get rid of the "crap" in the basement.
                      So a bass playing friend and myself end up in this dude's basement with this equipment he had to sell.
                      Long story short I walk out with a fender super reverb amp, a kalamazoo practice amp from the mid 60's (mint condition) with tone you can't believe, and a gibson hollowbody for 175.
                      I knew the super reverb was a score but I had no idea that the kalamazoo would be the tone machine it is.

so yes would be the answer to the original question

Comment

• Hardrock69
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2005

Brownsound...how old is that Jazzmaster?

They did not make them past the 60s (originally).

It would be worth some bucks!!

Comment

• Don Corleone
                          Veteran
                          • May 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                          That is very true. A friend of my dad's knew Paul Kosov's (guitarist from Free) family years ago. Not long after Paul died this guy was talking to Paul's father - anyway he just wanted rid of all Paul's old gear. So this guy asks for the guitar Paul played Alright Now On (the Les Paul), and Pauls dad wanting shot of it just gave it to him (a gift). Last I heard my dads friend had just had the guitar valued at 50 grand.
                          Roth Army Militia

Comment

• sagebrush
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Don Corleone
                            That is very true. A friend of my dad's knew Paul Kosov's (guitarist from Free) family years ago. Not long after Paul died this guy was talking to Paul's father - anyway he just wanted rid of all Paul's old gear. So this guy asks for the guitar Paul played Alright Now On (the Les Paul), and Pauls dad wanting shot of it just gave it to him (a gift). Last I heard my dads friend had just had the guitar valued at 50 grand.
                            Very cool i wish i could luck into something like that .I went out and found peavey special 130 / one 12 and a crybaby thats from the 70s and a good looking strat copy all for 90$ and everything ( but the crybaby ) was like new . the amp works great and the strat copy is like new.

Comment

• jslav06
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Jan 2006

My friend just recently got 2 guitars at a yard sale. One being an older Ibanez RG model guitar and the other a Tele both in complete working order and they sound just fine. No problems on either of them except one of the knobs is missing on the Tele. I think he said he bought both of them for $60, which is a steal, IMO.
                              http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e67/jslav06/pbf.gif
                              I rule because I make the Rules.

Comment

Working...