PDA

View Full Version : funniest part of this whole thing

Ally_Kat
04-08-2004, 08:26 PM
I'm not sure if it has been discussed before and if it has, I'm sorry. Been a busy week and I haven't been paying attention too much.

Anyhoo...

Might just be be New York, but before the news of this tour came, not much Van Halen was played on the radio. Actually, before all this started, I was thinking how they never played ANY Van Halen anymore. I'm not even going to say 'or Van Hagar' cuz, unless it's some 80 rewind show and someone calls up for it, they don't play that era at all.

And I listen to a lot of radio. Maybe too much. Well, I notice that ever since this announcement was made that they play a helluva lot Van Halen. And when I say Van Halen I mean Dave-sung songs.

Does that not appear funny to anyone else? Here is a tour with Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth songs are being played. Listen for Unchained to be played and call up to be the 100th caller to win Van Halen tickets as they come to the Jersey with Sammy Hagar.

Scott Muney, or however you spell his last name, does album sides on his lunch show and today had to be the second time in short time span that he picked Van Halen as the featured artist. Today he did the second half of 1984. Before he did Fair Warning I think.

And I'm not pointing this out to start a fight among the natives and the Sammy vistors here to stir shit. All I'm saying is that I find it odd and funny that they are playing nothing but the Dave songs for tour with Sammy. Where are the Can't drive 55 and the Right Now singles? You would think you'd hear Sammy stuff, esp if you are running a contest where you win tickets to see Van Halen fronted by Sammy.

Switch84
04-08-2004, 08:33 PM
:D They're playing the only true version of Van Halen, and that's with DAVID LEE ROTH! Everything else is a pale imitation. I'm more surprised that the Brothers Grim & Little Fatty didn't realize that and reunite with Davy Baby instead of Spammy.

Roth Grrl 4 EVER!

Satan
04-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Sammy and Clear Channel are borrowing a page from their buddies in the BCE. See, they won't actually SAY it's a Van HALEN tour, but they'll play Van HALEN on the radio, associate ticket winning contests with Van HALEN songs, and run reunion tour ads, playing nothing but Van HALEN.

Yet where is the press coverage saying that Sammy is back in the band?

Virtually non existent. And the probable result is that people hear all this, and buy the tickets, thinking that the Van Halen Reunion is just that - a reunion of the REAL Van HALEN. Not some half assed Van Hagar cheesefest that few people wanted.

It reminds me a lot of the way the BCE did their damndest to create the impression that Saddam Hussein was linked to 9-11, without ever actually saying those words literally..

ELVIS
04-08-2004, 08:38 PM
So this is love!

Satan
04-08-2004, 08:41 PM
If Sammy ever sings that song, I'll kill myself with my own pitchfork!

Ally_Kat
04-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Satan
Sammy and Clear Channel are borrowing a page from their buddies in the BCE. See, they won't actually SAY it's a Van HALEN tour, but they'll play Van HALEN on the radio, associate ticket winning contests with Van HALEN songs, and run reunion tour ads, playing nothing but Van HALEN.

The classic rock channel here which is ClearChannel calls it the Van Halen tour. SO what do you mean they won't say it's a Van Halen tour? :confused:

Satan
04-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
The classic rock channel here which is ClearChannel calls it the Van Halen tour. SO what do you mean they won't say it's a Van Halen tour? :confused:

Meaning that they're playing Van HALEN songs in the ads, which implies that Van HALEN is the band playing. They should be using Van Hagar songs in the ad. It's a dishonest ad, because the band that made those songs will not be at the concert.

Unless you believe AssCardinal, that is ;)

Ally_Kat
04-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Satan
Meaning that they're playing Van HALEN songs in the ads, which implies that Van HALEN is the band playing. They should be using Van Hagar songs in the ad. It's a dishonest ad, because the band that made those songs will not be at the concert.

Unless you believe AssCardinal, that is ;)

No, they make clear that Sammy is fronting. They just keep playing the Dave-era songs. THAT's why I said I found it funny.

Elitest
04-09-2004, 05:40 PM
youre right Ally

as usual

Panamark
04-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Would you use all those crappy Hagar tunes if you were a promoter ??
They actually want to make money on this tour.

They will sneak the excitement of the orignal band into your brain hoping it will translate into sales.

Its like the KISS tour in Oz at the moment. They dont tell you that its only Paul and Gene, and they use photo's of the original lineup in the official promotions. Sure the drummer of the week and the lead guitarist of the week will wear Peter Chris and Ace Frehley's makeup on stage. But its not original KISS !!

The promotions team however are doing everything possible to make
us believe its the real Kiss lineup. They simply dont list the band
members names in any of the promotions. Just pictures that look like
the original band.

At least your radio station is mentioning its Spammy. Even if they are using Dave to promote it. At least some people in NY will realize its not the real deal.

Sweet Irony
04-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
They will sneak the excitement of the orignal band into your brain hoping it will translate into sales.

Thats just what I was thinking------

rustoffa
04-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Classic bait and switch, for the casual fan's ticket dollar.

TMR
04-10-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
I'm not sure if it has been discussed before and if it has, I'm sorry. Been a busy week and I haven't been paying attention too much.

Anyhoo...

Might just be be New York, but before the news of this tour came, not much Van Halen was played on the radio. Actually, before all this started, I was thinking how they never played ANY Van Halen anymore. I'm not even going to say 'or Van Hagar' cuz, unless it's some 80 rewind show and someone calls up for it, they don't play that era at all.

And I listen to a lot of radio. Maybe too much. Well, I notice that ever since this announcement was made that they play a helluva lot Van Halen. And when I say Van Halen I mean Dave-sung songs.

Does that not appear funny to anyone else? Here is a tour with Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth songs are being played. Listen for Unchained to be played and call up to be the 100th caller to win Van Halen tickets as they come to the Jersey with Sammy Hagar.

Scott Muney, or however you spell his last name, does album sides on his lunch show and today had to be the second time in short time span that he picked Van Halen as the featured artist. Today he did the second half of 1984. Before he did Fair Warning I think.

And I'm not pointing this out to start a fight among the natives and the Sammy vistors here to stir shit. All I'm saying is that I find it odd and funny that they are playing nothing but the Dave songs for tour with Sammy. Where are the Can't drive 55 and the Right Now singles? You would think you'd hear Sammy stuff, esp if you are running a contest where you win tickets to see Van Halen fronted by Sammy.

In a way they are using DLR to sell concert tickets....sad but true.:(