PDA

View Full Version : Could ABC become the APPLE Broadcasting Company?

FORD
02-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Would Apple Buy Disney?
Rumors spread flood-like through the Internet over the weekend that Apple Computer might make an attempt to acquire the Walt Disney Co. The rumors were touched off by an item in Barron's, the Dow Jones weekly magazine, by Mark Veverka, its Silicon Valley-based correspondent. It noted that Apple now boasts a stock-market value of more than $60 billion -- $10 billion more than Disney's, and that when Disney completes its acquisition of Pixar, Steve Jobs, who heads both Pixar and Apple, will become Disney's largest shareholder, with four times the stake of Michael Eisner and seven times that of Roy Disney. (Veverka incorrectly identifies Disney as the brother of Walt; he is Walt's nephew.) The article quotes Institutional Risk Analytics analyst Christopher Whalen as saying that it would be "an open option" for Jobs to make a run at Disney, adding, "Disney is badly undervalued right now. Jobs might get an opportunity to take it out." Moreover, several analysts forecast that Apple will soon develop a movie downloading service for its video iPods, which are expected to sport larger screens in their next evolution. "From an intellectual property standpoint, [an Apple-Disney merger] would be a match made in heaven," Washington D.C. intellectual-property attorney Alan Fisch said in the Barron's article.

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2006-02-27/#2

Nitro Express
02-27-2006, 06:12 PM
I think the merger would make sense. Movies and animation will only become more dependant of technology and Apple always was into the creative side of the business more than Microsoft.

Everybody thought Apple was on it's way out but Steve Jobs has done a good job of bringing it back. Steve is a marvelouse visionary and creative. He would make a good match for Disney.

FORD
02-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Now why did I post this article here, you ask?

It's simple..... Disney has been among the worst of the Whore Media companies, with the shithead Michael Eisner being openly hostile to anything which dares to criticize the BCE, as evidenced in his attempts to block the release of Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9-11".

And ABC gave up any pretense of being "balanaced" in their news coverage the day they sent Peter Jennings home to die. The two twits they replaced him with are openly right wing, as is that fucking asshole John Stossel, now anchor of their news show, 20/20.

Hopefully Jobs could bring some balance back to the network. Even though they might have to fire everyone they currently have on the air to do so.

Unchainme
02-27-2006, 08:13 PM
I support this movie wholeheartidly. Apple is a grate Company, and Disney is owned by An Evil Nazi right now to say the least. So you get the best of both worlds. Think about being able to watch Sportscenter on your IPod. that' kickass.

Big Train
02-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Highly doubtful if you look at the financials that he would do it. Disney is in the midst of a turnaround, true, but it is still an old line media company. Apple is doing just fine right now and Jobs just got a couple billion for selling Pixar TO disney. No need to invest his own money, when other investors can pay to fix Disney. He is the largest single stockholder now, so why rock the boat?

Phil theStalker
02-28-2006, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Big Train
Highly doubtful if you look at the financials that he would do it. Disney is in the midst of a turnaround, true, but it is still an old line media company. Apple is doing just fine right now and Jobs just got a couple billion for selling Pixar TO disney. No need to invest his own money, when other investors can pay to fix Disney. He is the largest single stockholder now, so why rock the boat?
Mmaybe tit will bee bought by VIACOM!

:spank:

Nitro Express
02-28-2006, 03:11 AM

You brought up a good point. Apple could be stiffled by the big corporate Disney culture. My brother worked for Gil Armelio when he was CEO of National Semiconductor and before Dr. Armelio went to Apple as CEO. During a discussion a few years ago Dr. Armelio told us that when he came into Apple, the fiscal situation at Apple was in caos. It was a company with a very creative, young, excentric, rebeliouse culture to it. He said one day there was even an engineer wearing a dress at work.

He said his biggest challenge was getting the company straightened out without killing the culture and the creativity of Apple. He said Apple had to grow up to be successful but it would just become another run of the mill computer company without it's unique culture.

I think Dr. Armelio was right and this is coming from a conservative New Yorker physisist and not some Hollywood creative geniouse. Maybe merging Apple into a bigger corporation with a very conservative culture would kill Apple.

If anything, I can't think of anyone better than Steve Jobs himself to make that judgement.

twonabomber
02-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Apple buying Disney could turn out like AOL buying Time Warner.

Big Train
03-01-2006, 11:48 PM
The biggest factor to keep in mind is that he already, as of two weeks ago, was the largest single shareholder in Disney. He has already gutted Disney Animation and put in his own guys. if he wants change at Disney, he just has to say what he wants done differently.

FORD
03-02-2006, 12:02 AM
Well then, as I said, let's hope he starts with the news division.

That Lizzie-Beth Kissass interview with the Chimp was horrible.

Big Train
03-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Watch the ABC News feed on your Ipod and let me know how that pans out.

FORD
03-02-2006, 12:09 AM
Watch the ABC News feed on your Ipod and let me know how that pans out.

Don't have an IPOD.

I think it's a great concept, technically, but I don't pay for lossy format downloads, so I Tunes and other such services would be useless to me.

If I pay for something, it's going to take more than a virus or hard drive failure to get rid of it.

I'll stick with my XM radio when it comes to portable audio that doesn't require CD's/tapes/whatever.

Big Train
03-02-2006, 12:23 AM
You might be interested in the new music thread I just posted. Considering all the music discussions we have had ,I'm sure many of you will have a LOT to say about this film. I'm sure it will be sparking immense debate.