PDA

View Full Version : Listening to Phil Hendrie last night...

Roy Munson
02-28-2006, 09:56 AM
First off, Phil Hendrie is probably the funniest guy on radio and if you haven't heard him you damn well better try to.

Last night Phil goes into one of his rants about terrestrial radio and the FCC vs. satellite radio. Phil's show is broadcast on both terrestrial syndication and on XM so he has to watch what he says and keep his material nice and trim for the FCC police.

Anyhow, Phil starts talking about Roth and how the amount of money Infinity will lose with him is astounding. In other words, with the gargantuan exodus of listeners from the station Howard was on to other outlets, ad revenues will fall dramatically. He made a point that Infinity should have challenged the FCC in court on behalf of Stern but instead pussed out and let the greatest, most profitable radio personality in history go to a form of radio that will only continue to take listeners away from terrestrial stations. The Stern move to satellite is and will be bigger than we even know at the moment.

What this has created, in Phil's opinion, is leverage for talented radio personalities. Some jocks will now be able to dictate just how much money they make if they can get a bidding war going between satellite and terrestrial entities.

He went on to say that Roth is one of the greatest rock frontmen of all-time but has no business on the radio. I can't say I agree or disagree because I haven't heard Roth's show as of yet but I found Phil's commentary interesting as I normally respect his opinion.

Hardrock69
02-28-2006, 10:53 AM
ANY on-air personality with ANY audience at all should try to go to satellite.

The 21st-century radio listener is much too sophisticated to be satisfied with the restrictions the FCC puts on everything.

The FCC ought to rename themselves as the Department Of Thought, as they already are trying to dictate to the American public what they can or cannot listen to.

Satellite is the way to go.

Roy Munson
02-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

The 21st-century radio listener is much too sophisticated to be satisfied with the restrictions the FCC puts on everything.

The FCC ought to rename themselves as the Department Of Thought, as they already are trying to dictate to the American public what they can or cannot listen to.

I agree with you to a point. I do believe that terrestrial radio should have it's limits as far as content. I think it's a fine line, though, and those who are able to enact that line have a tough job.

What I don't want to see is the end of free radio. It would probably never happen but this makes a person think.

Faquar
03-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

At the moment, you're correct. But how long do you think it'll be before the White House forces satellite to comply with FCC regs.? It WILL happen, sad but true. These gawd-fearing assholes can and will ruin everything we have... :(

spmusicplyr
03-01-2006, 12:49 PM
phil hendrie is one of the funniest men on radio. THe last few years he's been a shadow of his former self because of restrictions but before that..oh my god he was fuckin insane. especially when he was on kfi just in LA until 1999.....

he can talk to himself with 2 different characters at once. THATS talent.

if anyone wants a tape of him talking to himself as 3 black people...with black people calling in the show too..let me know. its hilarious. i taped this in 1998