X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bru87tr
    Commando
    • Apr 2004

Living in the USA- DLR Song.

anyone know anything about this? read this on another VH site and was wondering if anyone here knows about this unreleased dave tune ?

Brian: How did you get the word that Dave wanted you in his band? Did he call you personally? Were you expecting it, or was it a surprise?

James: I had stopped playing Bass for about 5 year's after playing in Slashes' Snakepit, not because of Slash (who was a very cool guy), but because I was burned out. There were stupid lawsuits to deal with and bad management debacles from years earlier that were just relentless, I was just sick of the whole thing, so I moved my family up to Northern California and lived and worked there, primarily as a graphic artist. After a while my head cleared and I began to really love music again so I moved the family back down to L.A. and called everyone I knew to let 'em know I was available again. Well Ray's girlfriend at the time used to baby sit my daughter so I knew him from that, any way he was always telling me that if Todd Jensen (Dave's Bassist at the time) ever moved on, he thought he'd like to recommend me to Dave. Months went by and Dave wasn't touring anymore, but one day Ray calls up and asks if I'd like to come down to the studio and record a version of "Living in the USA" for Dave. I was thrilled. So I listen to the song learned it and went off to the studio. I was there with a bunch of guys who played with Dave in the past, Bret Tuggle was playin' keys. We got down to recording and Dave appears in the control room and graciously says hello. We do some takes and Dave turns to me and says great, would you like to go on tour sometime? I was thrilled, I felt I passed some kind of audition. Unfortunately the track never got released, shame...it was a smokin' track.
    "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"
  • Uncle Rico
    Full On Cocktard
    • Oct 2005

I'm guessing that this may be a cover of James Brown's "Livin' In America" that Dave played during his short Vegas stint. Although James refers to is as "Living in the USA", you must remember that Dave switched the titles of a few of the cover tunes on the "Diamond Dave" album...so my best bet is that was the working title for the James Brown song.

Hope this helps.
    I bet I can throw a football over a mountain.

Comment

• Coyote
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

Isn't that on the BBQ video?
      Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• bru87tr
        Commando
        • Apr 2004

you think he would have known that song, it was pretty popular and identifiable with rocky movie.

I think its an original cause he refers to it as a new song. thats the vibe I got from the interview. if it were a james brown song I think he would have mentioned that.

Comment

• rustoffa
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Maybe it was the Steve Miller song? You know, do-do-da-do-da-do-do....Livin' In The USA?

Lomenzo played on the "Shoo Bop" Miller cover on Diamond Dave.

Fuck, maybe it was an audition!

Comment

• franksters
            Veteran
            • Mar 2004

it is from the no hold bbq.
            SUMMER'S JUST
            AROUND
            THE CORNER!

[IMG]
            http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...rs/2wbthcw.jpg

Comment

• Loons The Great

Drivin' y'all from the mildew to the barbeque nah yez

Comment

• bru87tr
                Commando
                • Apr 2004

I will have to check out the BBQ, I do have it.

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
                  Veteran
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by rustoffa
                  Maybe it was the Steve Miller song? You know, do-do-da-do-da-do-do....Livin' In The USA?

Lomenzo played on the "Shoo Bop" Miller cover on Diamond Dave.

Fuck, maybe it was an audition!
                  That was my thought. And of course there is also Chuck Berry's "Livin' In the USA".
                  RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• bantonelli
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Nov 2004

First thought in my mind was John Mellencamp's "Livin in the USA" ? or is that R-O-C-K in the USA?
                    "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Comment

• DlocRoth
                      ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

I believe Dave mentions this song in his book.....the James Brown title.

He did it during the Vegas stint.
                      Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• Calderone
                        Commando
                        • Jan 2004

Its the JB SONG !

Comment

• rustoffa
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

The JB title is 3 words.

Living In America.

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

You sure Dave ain't covering a certain Steve Miller song by that title?

Comment

• bru87tr
                              Commando
                              • Apr 2004

I would have a hard time believing that james lomenzo nor brian young who is into all that kind of music wouldnt recognize a james brown song....lol

nor a steve miller song.

Comment

Working...