• Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Soft Drinks Found to Have High Levels of Cancer Chemical

Published on Thursday, March 2, 2006 by the Times / UK

by Rajeev Syal

Traces of a carcinogenic chemical have been found in soft drinks at eight times the level permitted in drinking water, it was revealed last night.

Tests conducted on 230 drinks on sale in Britain and France have identified high levels of benzene, a compound known to cause cancer, according to the Food Standards Agency. There is a legal limit of one part per billion of benzene in British drinking water. The latest tests revealed levels of up to eight parts per billion in some soft drinks.

Benzene has been linked to leukaemia and other cancers of the blood. Traces found in Perrier water 15 years ago led to the withdrawal of more than 160 million bottles worldwide. The disclosure has prompted food safety campaigners to demand that the Government reveal which products contain benzene. At present, the drinks’ identities have not been revealed.

Richard Watts, of Sustain, a pressure group lobbying for better food standards, said that this should be done urgently because the drinks were being marketed to children. “The scientific evidence is unclear about whether there is any safe level of benzene. We see no reason why it should be different from the designated safe level in drinking water. If it is unsafe in drinking water, why should it be safe in soft drinks?” he said.

The Food Standards Agency, the government watchdog, said that the products did not pose an immediate health risk, but called for further investigation from the British drinks industry. “Let’s have further investigations and regular discussions with the drinks industry to check what is happening. If levels are high then the FSA will take action to protect consumers,” an agency spokesman said.

Food scientists believe that high levels of benzene may have been produced by the reaction of two commonly used ingredients — sodium benzoate, a preservative, and ascorbic acid (vitamin C). Sodium benzoate is widely used in the drinks sector. In Britain, it is used in Britvic brands including Britvic 55 apple and orange flavours, Pennine Spring flavoured waters and Shandy Bass.It is not known if any of these products were included in the latest tests. A spokesman for Britvic has previously expressed confidence in its products.

A spokesman for the British Soft Drinks Association said yesterday that the industry was working to reduce the levels of benzene in soft drinks. “There is an obligation on the industry to have as low a level of benzene as possible and we are looking at ways of reducing the levels — and maybe even removing the preservative — if we can replace it with something else,” he said.

When minuscule traces of benzene were discovered in Perrier water 15 years ago, it forced the French company to withdraw millions of bottles.

Tests have been carried out in Europe after US food watchdogs found benzene in juices and sodas. The Food and Drug Administration registered its concern about the possible long-term effects on health.

Professor Glenn Lawrence, of Long Island University, who first conducted tests for benzene in soft drinks 13 years ago, said that the combination of sodium benzoate and vitamin C was commonly used in drinks in the early 1990s.

He said that drinks firms were now putting vitamin C back into drinks to encourage consumers to buy the product. He said that this was being done to encourage parents to buy the drinks to improve their children’s health but it might just be doing the opposite.

# BENZENE FACTS Michael Faraday discovered benzene in 1825 when he isolated it from oil gas to form a chemical, six parts carbon, six parts hydrogen

# It is produced during incomplete combustion of carbon-rich substances: it is produced from petrochemicals, but occurs naturally in volcanoes, forest fires and in cigarette smoke

# In the 19th and early 20th centuries it was used in aftershave, for its pleasant smell, and to decaffinate coffee. It is now used as an anti-knock agent in petrol

# It is an aggressive carcinogen and may lead to leukaemia and other cancers of the blood

# In 1993, Professor Glenn Lawrence, of Long Island University, published research showing that the sodium benzoate and vitamin C found in soft drinks could react to form benzene. He suggested that drink companies were putting vitamin C into drinks to encourage customers to buy them

Common Dreams has been providing breaking news & views for the progressive community since 1997. We are independent, non-profit, advertising-free and 100% reader supported. Our Mission: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good.
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Holy Shit! I better stick to something safe like Jack Daniels.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

No shit!

Luckily I cut way back on the soft drinks a while back. Still have the occasional Coke with a meal now and then, but since I've determined that both high fructose corn syrup and nutra sweet are deadly poisons to the human body, that's incentive enough, even without the Benzene.

Of course then, one of my local grocery stores recently expanded their Mexican food aisle and started exporting the Mexican formula of Coca-Cola, made from cane sugar and not the vile HFCS. So that's a temptation NOT to buy up every last bottle of that shit.

For any long term carbonation junkies that are having a hard time quitting, I suggest you try some fruit flavored sparkling water.

They aren't sweetned at all, but the carbonation is still there, so you get half the fix. Works as a beer substitute as well, and tastes better than N/A beer.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

Thanks for the tip. I was corrupted by Dr. Pepper years back.

Comment

• Cathedral
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

All i drink is water and cranberry juice, i dropped 5 pounds in a month just by eliminating the pop from my diet and my kidney's stay good and flushed out too.

Take care of your bodies, people, you only get one for the trip through life.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
            All i drink is water and cranberry juice, i dropped 5 pounds in a month just by eliminating the pop from my diet and my kidney's stay good and flushed out too.

Take care of your bodies, people, you only get one for the trip through life.
            Check the label on that cranberry juice. Most of them contain high fructose corn syrup.

Of course you can get unsweetened cranberry juice at Trader Joes or any organic food store, but that's some intense stuff. Very sour.

And you can also get soft-gel cranberry capsules where vitamins and herbal supplements are found.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• thome
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by FORD
              No shit!

Luckily I cut way back on the soft drinks a while back. Still have the occasional Coke with a meal now and then, but since I've determined that both high fructose corn syrup and nutra sweet are deadly poisons to the human body, that's incentive enough, even without the Benzene.

Of course then, one of my local grocery stores recently expanded their Mexican food aisle and started exporting the Mexican formula of Coca-Cola, made from cane sugar and not the vile HFCS. So that's a temptation NOT to buy up every last bottle of that shit.

For any long term carbonation junkies that are having a hard time quitting, I suggest you try some fruit flavored sparkling water.

They aren't sweetned at all, but the carbonation is still there, so you get half the fix. Works as a beer substitute as well, and tastes better than N/A beer.
              wellwella, well the -MAN- made sense, even though this post rings of conspiracy.
              I got one word for you " the further from the Farm ,The further from the animal you eat, the further you are from what the body needs to
              stay healthy and these bags of already pulled apart lettuce
              have had 4 extra sets of hands on them, see my point of the
              further it gets away from the Farm..?"

i hope you know, i dig this, closer to home and prepare your own,
              but we move so fast and there just isn't time .

Ok, but I'll put this head o lettuce down in the office you work at and let 4 diff people come by and break it apart for you, see my point.

and then theres the the sh!t that I eat nowhere close to the points
              i made above here Oh well at least I know how its supposed to be.

FORD, ON ROTH!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Yeah, real cane sugar is the key to good soda pop. That's why A&W that is canned or bottled sucks and A&W made with cane sugar and their syrup is so good. In Yellowstone Park theres a spring that bubbles out carbonated water. I use that to make homemade root beer and it's yummy!
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ODShowtime
                  ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                  How's that compare to the original?
                  gnaw on it

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

I never was a soft-drink drinker.

Never drank coke (sometimes though) and never will.

If it wasn't alcohol, I always stuck with juices and water.
                    =V V=
                    ole No.1 The finest
                    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• knuckleboner
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

eh, anything not in moderation will eventually kill ya.

it's all a question of how you want to go...

Comment

• Warham
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Back in the old days, the guys who worked at the Coke plant would clean the truck engines with the Coke before transporting it to the nearest place of retail.

Work for six years in the beverage industry and you get to know these things.

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

So, they would use it to clean engines and then put it back in the bottles ??

My sister was a manager at McDonalds in West Seattle years ago, and they used to wash the windows and counters with Diet Sprite...

Comment

• Warham
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

No, that might have been confusing.

They used Coke to clean the engines, since it worked well on removing the gunk (oil, dirt) off the engine parts.

Now, the bottles, that's a different story.

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ODShowtime
                              How's that compare to the original?
                              It just tastes better. Not sure how to describe it.... I guess you could say it doesn't have the "heaviness" that the HFCS formula has. Soft drinks in the US were sweetened with cane sugar up until about the late 70's when store brands started using the cheaper corn based product and by the early 80's, even market leaders Coke & Pepsi jumped aboard the last train to ArcherDanielsMidlandville. To this day, most other countries around the world still use cane sugar. I'm not sure about Canada, honestly.

The reason high fructose corn syrup is so bad, is because its a highly refined carbohydrate that does not exist in nature. Therefore, the human body doesn't know what to do with it. There's nothing there to break down, so the shit goes right to the fat cells for storage. Which is exactly why the "obesity epidemic" in this country started right around the same time that they started using this shit in the soft drinks.

And it's not just in your Coke & Pepsi either, folks. Even supposedly healthy foods like juice and yogurt are now sweetened with this crap. Read the labels, and since we DO have to keep this thread political, oppose the current corporate assault on food labeling. Seems being forced to be honest is hurting the bottom line of some companies who would rather sell you cheap chemicals than quality food and they want the government to do something about it.

And as far as the HFCS peddlers, this goes back to companies like Monsanto and Archer Daniels Midland, huge agri-corporations that are as tied to the BCE as the oil and pharmaceutical industries are. In fact it was the Searle corporation, now owned by Monsanto. that introduced the other poison, "Nutra Sweet" to the world.

And the man who signed the patent for Searle?

Yep, that's right. Just before selling chemical weapons to Saddam Hussein, Donald Rumsfeld was putting chemical weapons in your Diet Pepsi
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...