PDA

View Full Version : Fender Noiseless Pickups

Cato
03-08-2006, 08:22 AM
any users here? how useful? how noiseless? worth buying?
I have enough money for them because I'm not a poor student. I can buy anything that I want. in short, I'm rich.:cato2: but I don't like to pay for the shit.
anyway, I need to know about them.
any suggestions? are they better than lace sensors? Savicki is really a homo?

http://media.zzounds.com/media/brand,zzounds/fit,325by400/quality,85/0992115000_sm-8bc240e360a82a855875b4b8fa076caa.jpg

Nitro Express
03-08-2006, 06:36 PM
I tried them and they kill the overtones and muddy the sound a bit. To be honest, I still like the old pickups Leo Fender designed the best hum and all. One trick I do is I either play in the in-between position that cancels the hum or I play the middle pickup with the tone knob turned down a tad. You lose a lot of the hum that way.

I just learned to live with the hum. Hey, it's old technology and it's noisey but nothing beats the old single coils for tone. If you haven't played a Gibson with soap bar pickups you've missed a real treat.

ELVIS
03-08-2006, 10:29 PM
Maybe you should read this...

Kinman AVn (http://www.kinman.com/html/intro.htm)

:elvis:

jhale667
03-08-2006, 11:17 PM
You should try the Dimarzio Virtual Vintages...they KILL the Fenders...way more variety, too. The Fender Noiseless' sound sterile to me.

http://www.dimarzio.com

sagebrush
03-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
You should try the Dimarzio Virtual Vintages...they KILL the Fenders...way more variety, too. The Fender Noiseless' sound sterile to me.

http://www.dimarzio.com

^ jhale667 said it all .

Cato
03-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express

If you haven't played a Gibson with soap bar pickups you've missed a real treat.
I've played a real '52 LP at the guitar shop a few years ago and it sounded so sweet. the response of the original P-90's was unbelievably quick. I felt like it sounded before I touched the strings. so I bought a custom shop '54 LP but it had the noisiest PU's I ever heard. and the response was not quick at all. I even waited it.

jhale667
03-09-2006, 07:16 PM
...If you're into P90s, check out the Virtual Vintage Solo or Solo Pro Bridge models for Strats...VERY P90-esque, with the same kind of response you're referring to....;)

BrownSound1
03-11-2006, 01:55 AM
The Fenders Noiseless are much better than those old Lace Sensor pickups in my book. However, I pretty much don't care if I get hum or not out of my Fender. Hell, I've had humbuckers that have picked up hum in certain situations, so there you go.

jhale667
03-11-2006, 02:04 AM
I cannot stress how quiet the Virtuals are without sounding like a freaking testimonial...but I already told the story in another thread about how I plugged in to my buddy's vintage Plexi that was on 10, turned up my guitar's volume all the way up...not a sound (from the guitar, nevermind the amp's own natural background hiss) until I struck the strings. ZERO. If it hadn't been my guitar, I'd have been sold on the fuckers. :D

ELVIS
03-11-2006, 02:04 AM
You folks need to check out the sound clips on that Kinman link I posted...

jhale667
03-11-2006, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
You folks need to check out the sound clips on that Kinman link I posted...

I am...nice. I kind of want to get a set now, to compare and contrast...:D Though I would say the Virtuals sound equally cool....

Nitro Express
03-11-2006, 02:18 AM
Old Original Gibson P-90's are the best pickups ever made in my book. Shit, what's cooler than an original Gold Top LP?

I got to play one through a Marshall Bluesbreaker combo. SWEET!

ELVIS
03-11-2006, 02:20 AM
I dunno man...

I'm getting some for sure!

I'm getting the woodstock set with the wiring harness...

Chris Kinman knows what he's talking about...

jhale667
03-11-2006, 02:20 AM
Alright, I'm especially liking the A/B against the Noiseless example...it's like night and day. It also confirms my original 'sterile' comment...:)

ELVIS
03-11-2006, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Shit, what's cooler than an original Gold Top LP?

My lefty P-90 Gold Top...

:elvis:

jhale667
03-11-2006, 02:24 AM
I think I'd go for the Woodstock plus set...

ELVIS
03-11-2006, 02:27 AM
No, I don't care for extra hot pickups...

The regular Woodstock set is already way way hotter than my main HS-3's...

jhale667
03-11-2006, 02:31 AM
I like a hotter bridge pickup, but that's about it. I based my (split-second) decision on the sound files...just liked the way they responded in both clean and dirty settings...:D

ELVIS
03-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Pretty good sounding, huh ??

jhale667
03-11-2006, 02:42 AM
Pretty good sounding, huh ??

Yeah...like I said, I totally want to A/B them against the Virtuals now...still looking around on the site, but haven't seen yet whether you can mix and match or you have to buy the sets?

No, not looking like they're sold individually...:( Only possible downside I'm seeing...

ELVIS
03-11-2006, 02:51 AM
Hmmm...

I don't know...

Check eBay though, I've seen alot of single Kinmans on there...

ELVIS
03-11-2006, 02:53 AM
This just went for $175 the other day and I missed it...

Woodstock regular set...

http://i6.ebayimg.com/02/i/06/73/9b/3e_1.JPG

:(

jhale667
03-11-2006, 02:57 AM
...Missed it by THIS much. ;) Don't you hate it when that shit happens?

GAR
05-22-2006, 11:02 PM
IChris Kinman knows what he's talking about...

That would be - mostly about himself!

"I.." this. "I.." that.

I read half his site thru that link you gave, and still can't understand why his pickups are any different than anything else.

He doesn't specify anything he does differently than a stock strat pickups' sound in a clear, technically concise nor in even the simplest engineering terms that would initiate me to buy one set or one pickup.

I know I've seen that guy around NAMM but never talked to him, and since he puts down active electronics in his ignorance I'm in no hurry to do so either.

GAR
05-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Cato
any users here? how useful? how noiseless? worth buying?

No, I don't recommend them. I've talked about my reasons why before here and the main reason is that besides the fact the magnet's strength is too hot (killing the spin of the string vibration=magnetism damping) the wire is wound to tight.

I know the winding machine, I know the man that designed it, the one that built it, and the dummy who designed these pickups. If you really want a hum-free stack pickup, rewind a stock Strat pickup in two half sections loosely using #45 gauge magnet wire to about 3800 ohms each half-section.

I first did that in 1981 in my garage and it works, just buy some broken Seymour Duncan Vintage Staggered Strat pickups and play with em using #45 or call Duncan Custom shop and request it be done.