PDA

View Full Version : OK gang, tell me what I should think!

Lou
04-10-2004, 11:32 AM
OK educate me, what am I wrong about. I want to hear the truth from the REAL fans, the people who grew up with VH. Because we all know that it takes a special talent to do that, to have been born in the '50s, '60s, or early '70s, we all know we can control when we're born and I willfully chose to be born in 1981.

Here is what I believe:

Van HALEN is superior to Van Hagar, end of story.
Van HALEN incorporated so many elements--Eddie's musicianship, but on the other end of the spectrum, Dave's wit, humor, and grace. This is the "fire and ice" combination that made Van Halen explosive.
Van Hagar was all about Eddie and selling out. That's why it sucked, it was a big Eddie show.
Dave was without question the leader of Van HALEN, Eddie wasn't.
You bash Dave, you bash Van HALEN.

OK I want you to tell me what's wrong with that. Because if that's right (and again I want to hear from the highly talented people who controlled their date of birth so as to grow up with Van HALEN) then what does it matter that I didn't grow up with them? Think about that again, IF I'M RIGHT, WHAT DOES IT MATTER THAT I DIDN'T GROW UP WITH THEM. IF ANYTHING I'M MORE OF A FAN BECAUSE I WAS ABLE TO CONCLUDE THIS ON MY OWN.

OK educate me.

Orgazmo
04-10-2004, 11:50 AM
Right on man!

Sarge
04-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Van Hagar was all about Eddie and selling out. That's why it sucked, it was a big Eddie show.

Eddie was drunk off his ass and in and out of rehab.
That guy didn't know his asshole from his elbow
I think it was a Sammy show.
That is why it sucked ballz!

Other than that I agree with your post..
Sarge

Lou
04-10-2004, 12:10 PM
Well I think the whole emphasis was on Eddie. Who the hell went there to see Sammy Hagar, they went to see Eddie and really nothing else. Whereas with Van HALEN I think people were there for Dave and Eddie equally.

Sarge
04-10-2004, 12:14 PM
Someone posted here last week a great quote..
Something like this

"Sammy Hagar was lucky to have been in Van Halen. He was a haircut away from being Eddie Money and would be long forgotten by now"

Golden AWe
04-10-2004, 12:17 PM
I'll be 27 this summer.

So it goes for me too, when VH released their first album I was just a sparkle in the ice cream mans eye

Lou
04-10-2004, 12:21 PM
And the thing is I could easily lie and I say I was 40 and saw Van HALEN 15 times and then I doubt anyone would be riding my back.

ZahZoo
04-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Lou... sorry you didn't get to chose your birth date. Neither did I... nor my parents either... nor my adopted parents either... no matter.

Your opinion about VH is just as legitimate as someone who was born in the 50's and did experience the band during Dave's time.

The only factors that differ is the perspective of the experience based on someone who was an adult and having had musical influences growing up prior to Van Halen and someone that was either not born or was just beginning to develop musical influences with Van Halen in the mix already. Very different musical landscapes/influences.

A 15 year old kid today has at his/her listening options of over 40 years of rock'n'roll to fill their ears and develop a preference in certain genras of music. Then there's those of us who lived that 40 years... The 15 yr old can formulate an opinion and preferences and still say VH is and will always be Dave, Ed, Al & Mike... is the kid's opinion more valid than the 46 years old? Nope... just different persepctive.

Roth-Halen
04-10-2004, 01:04 PM
"I'll be 27 this summer.

So it goes for me too, when VH released their first album I was just a sparkle in the ice cream mans eye"

nICE WAY TO PUT IT MAN!
I'd say you weren't even in your dad's balls.
LOL (just kidding)

Catfish
04-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Lou's right. When Dave left so did VH's leadership, competitive edge and Eddie's FIRE.

The band became a painful, predictable BORE.

azcrdnal
04-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Sarge
Something like this

"Sammy Hagar was lucky to have been in Van Halen. He was a haircut away from being Eddie Money and would be long forgotten by now" so true.

Dave's PA Rental
04-10-2004, 01:59 PM
Nice post Lou.

After spending thousands of hours working in music retail through the mid-90's, I had lots of time to ponder the musical tastes of different generations...

A clear sign that you are OLD is when you criticise the younger gererations, and the music they listen to. When we were younger and out having all the fun, bands like Classic Van Halen were on the radio or in our tape decks. Our music was playing in the background when we were having the best times of our lives. We hear that music now, and it brings us back. Memories and feelings come flooding back when we hear a certain song.

Nowadays, we arent out there having all the fun. Now we are working, paying bills, raising kids.

So now there are new generations of kids out getting waysted, banging chicks, having all the fun. And Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, and yes, Justin Timberlake is whats playing on the radio in the background.

Dave's PA Rental
04-10-2004, 02:01 PM
I guess that doesnt have much to do with what Lou began this thread with, but I wanted to say it anyway.

Golden AWe
04-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Daves PA rental
So now there are new generations of kids out getting waysted, banging chicks, having all the fun. And Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, and yes, Justin Timberlake is whats playing on the radio in the background.

One of the reasons I never listen to radio except for hockey broadcasts...:)

PHOENIX
04-10-2004, 02:10 PM
Something like this

"Sammy Hagar was lucky to have been in Van Halen. He was a haircut away from being Eddie Money and would be long forgotten by now"

The thing is..........Eddie Money is still cooler than Hagar.:D

inh_james
04-10-2004, 02:14 PM
Im 18 and have been a VH (H=HALEN) for about 6 years now. Never got to seem then OBVISOULY, but i did make the effort to go see DLR in london in febuary. Sammy Hagar is touring the UK??!?! :O:O:O...... Sammy Who.

I love VH, I Love DLR, I went because I wanted to see DLR, i wanted to see the classic VH tunes and the classic DLR tunes. If you havent seen VH with Dave performing HFT, Jump, ATBL etc. the next best thing was seeing dave perform with an AWESOME band.

ELVIS
04-10-2004, 02:42 PM
The only thing I see you wrong about around here Lou is ME!

:elvis:

Switch84
04-10-2004, 02:55 PM
:rolleyes: :) For obvious reasons I cannot 'know' what life was like in the 30s and so forth from reading about it or learning about it second-hand, as opposed to someone that's actually LIVED it. I wouldn't want someone else's experience. I wasn't alive for Mozart, Vivaldi, and Buddy Holly, but I can gain new experiences with their music now.

Everyone has their place in time. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Lou
04-10-2004, 03:35 PM

Well maybe I'm "old" at heart because I fucking hate that "music"! I really hate just about everything that's been put out since Soundgarden broke up.

Jesus Christ
04-10-2004, 03:36 PM
Verily, as One who hath been around to see all the musicians mentioned above, I listen to them all.

Except Justin Timberlake. He even lipsync's his prayers! :eek:

thefive
04-10-2004, 03:42 PM
I only read Lou's post and then the first 2 below it. I do not have to read anymore. It doesn't matter when you were born to know what is good and what is bad. Lou you just know what is good and what is bad.
You have good instints.

What I can't be a fan of Mozart???????

thefive

flappo
04-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Nice post Lou.

After spending thousands of hours working in music retail through the mid-90's, I had lots of time to ponder the musical tastes of different generations...

A clear sign that you are OLD is when you criticise the younger gererations, and the music they listen to. When we were younger and out having all the fun, bands like Classic Van Halen were on the radio or in our tape decks. Our music was playing in the background when we were having the best times of our lives. We hear that music now, and it brings us back. Memories and feelings come flooding back when we hear a certain song.

Nowadays, we arent out there having all the fun. Now we are working, paying bills, raising kids.

..good point

Big Troubles
04-10-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Well maybe I'm "old" at heart because I fucking hate that "music"! I really hate just about everything that's been put out since Soundgarden broke up.

I really don't listen to anything except Van Halen. Radio is on, but most times it's a band Ive never heard of, or buy their cd. Soundgarden to me sucked when it was popular as did all the other bands in the 90's. My stereo has 3 cds in it. Fair Warning, VH1 and VH2 right now. And next week, I will change that to Diver Down, WACF and 1984. My truck has the Best of, Gene's Demos and Dave's Best of along with EEAS.
I seriously listen to nothing but Dave.
Is that a sickness? Cause if it is, I dont want the fucking cure.
And Lou, it doesn't matter when you were born. If your a Dave fan, your're a Dave fan. Thats all that matters. I was born in 71, and in 79 I was attached to Dave and classic VH. Who gives a flying fuck how old or young you are?! Right? As long as your a VH/Dave fan, 'tis cool with me.

Phil da Stalker
04-10-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by flappo
..good point
..yeh wot he said..

Big Troubles
04-10-2004, 04:10 PM
this is where Elvis replies with a "yeah". :D

thefive
04-10-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
My stereo has 3 cds in it. Fair Warning, VH1 and VH2 right now. And next week, I will change that to Diver Down, WACF and 1984. My truck has the Best of, Gene's Demos and Dave's Best of along with EEAS.I seriously listen to nothing but Dave.
Is that a sickness? Cause if it is, I dont want the fucking cure.

I got the same sickness. You and I are similar.

SOMEBODY DO NOT GIVE ME A SHOT!!!!!!!!

THEFIVE

Big Troubles
04-10-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by thefive
I got the same sickness. You and I are similar.

SOMEBODY DO NOT GIVE ME A SHOT!!!!!!!!

THEFIVE

It's weird ya know. Im sure there is good music out there. (well maybe not) But I just dont seem to wanna leave my box. I absolutely, undeniably am infatuated with what the classic VH and Dave music sounds like and feels like. Its hard for me to fathom, that there are people on this planet that dont share the same sickness. Even a shitty VH song, is a great fucking tune by today's standards.

thefive
04-10-2004, 05:00 PM
It's weird ya know. Im sure there is good music out there. (well maybe not) But I just dont seem to wanna leave my box. I absolutely, undeniably am infatuated with what the classic VH and Dave music sounds like and feels like. Its hard for me to fathom, that there are people on this planet that dont share the same sickness. Even a shitty VH song, is a great fucking tune by today's standards.

The only time I listen to other music is in my new car.(it doesn't have a blaring stereo like my last one.) I had to switch cars just recently and this one does not have a cd player and I am bummed out about that.

But when I get some extra money I am going to get even a better stereo than the one I had. (my old stereo was kick ass)

Next stereo I get I just want to pull up to an intersection when some teenager is blaring some rap song and I am going to blare KING OF THE HILL. (my stereo is going to have lots of bass)

I only blare my stereo in situations like that or if I am on the freeway driving by myself.

thefive

ELVIS
04-10-2004, 05:24 PM
this is where Elvis replies with a "yeah". :D

No...

Viking
04-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Well, Lou, I'd say you pretty much nailed it.

Lou
04-10-2004, 06:08 PM
Thanks, now all I need is someone like LSD or Brett to come along and say I'm not qualified to say these things because I didn't live through it, even though I've done my best to figure it out on my own.

redblkwht
04-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Funny thing is, my wife saw something last week at hot topic
in scottsdale,AZ while we were on vacation there..
as i look on the wall theres that VH t shirt their now selling.
I go to the girl kinda around your age lou & i showed her my =VH=
tatoo on my shoulder & said this is the real logo, she laughed
& said they sold out, its the 70's that are back, not the 90's.
I gotta kick outta her diggin dave too, fun shopping day i tell ya ;)
It really is too bad.
Lou it was all attitude then, ya cant describe a classic concert
to be honest you just had to be there to feel the whole
enchilada, as dave put it many times..
Musical depth never matched again musically by the group as a whole.
not singing wise, connection wise similar to Zepplin before
bonham died, go grab the newest zep dvd that is fairly new
it will give you the same type of musical vibe, they had it &
passed it to classic VH at that time period..lol im on a roll-
The vibe........

Sweet Irony
04-10-2004, 06:59 PM
Hey Lou, great post---Ive got to hand it to you, you might as well try and call some of these bashers to the plate--!

I can be a little 'funny' (partial) about living through the Beatles days (and wanting them to get the credit due)...and I know that everyone is not going to be of the same opinion as I am...

But Ive always thought that you were very clever about looking at the big musical 'picture' in your own years, and calling it like it lies...You have never wavered about being a VHalen fan, and you admit how you just automatically listened to Hagar stuff....and realized the difference between the 2 'bands'...and feel very strongly about what exactly VAN HALEN is..and post accordingly...

Nobody can 'help' when they are born....but not everybody is smart about life (and everything in it)....It takes years to learn lifes lessons, and luckily, you havent wasted any time where music is concerned--

I sure hope you get to see Van HALEN in your lifetime.....It seems a stretch, for sure, but I hope it happens....

Sweet Irony
04-10-2004, 07:02 PM
In other words, I hope you experience

the whole enchilada!!!

;)

Rubnose
04-11-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Lou
OK educate me, what am I wrong about. I want to hear the truth from the REAL fans, the people who grew up with VH. Because we all know that it takes a special talent to do that, to have been born in the '50s, '60s, or early '70s, we all know we can control when we're born and I willfully chose to be born in 1981.

Here is what I believe:

Van HALEN is superior to Van Hagar, end of story.
Van HALEN incorporated so many elements--Eddie's musicianship, but on the other end of the spectrum, Dave's wit, humor, and grace. This is the "fire and ice" combination that made Van Halen explosive.
Dave was without question the leader of Van HALEN, Eddie wasn't.
You bash Dave, you bash Van HALEN.

OK I want you to tell me what's wrong with that. Because if that's right (and again I want to hear from the highly talented people who controlled their date of birth so as to grow up with Van HALEN) then what does it matter that I didn't grow up with them? Think about that again, IF I'M RIGHT, WHAT DOES IT MATTER THAT I DIDN'T GROW UP WITH THEM. IF ANYTHING I'M MORE OF A FAN BECAUSE I WAS ABLE TO CONCLUDE THIS ON MY OWN.

OK educate me.

Here's my take. (As if you care.)

Dave left Van Halen. He left VAN HALEN. He could have and should have stayed but he left.

If your lead singer left your band what would you do?

At the time these guys were HUGE. And their frontman left. How to you top a talent like that. Do you hire an unknown?

They wanted to continue as a band just like you or I would want to and made a good choice in a substitute. If Eddie called me to front the band I would do it too.

If Dave was fired I would have a different point of view but Dave left the band. He quit. van Halen wanted to continue. Should they have just folded?

I dunno. I don't wan't to argue with eveyone here but I believe grabbing a headliner like Sammy to foot the bill was a good move.

He's no Roth for sure but while Dave was releasing YFLM VH was putting out a heavy hitter. And I hate to say it but I will take any Sam Hager album over that debacle any day. And I'll take a Sam/VH song over thet Diamond Dave disaster as well. Since Dave has no respect for what diehards like us would really want to hear.

I am so perplexed that Dave would release a kick ass CD like DLR Band and follow it up like 7 years later with an unlistenable overproduced demo.

Sorry!

Lou
04-11-2004, 12:43 AM
Well this is what I don't know--why did Dave leave? Could it be because Eddie wanted to sell out with keyboards and Dave had enough of it? Maybe Eddie had some crap ballads in mind and Dave wanted no part of it?

YFLM wasn't the greatest but what did Van Hagar put out less than a year later? Balance. Not exactly a heavy hitter with junk like "Can't Stop Loving You," "Not Enough," "Take Me Back," and "Don't Tell Me What Love Can Do." 9 years since 5150 and STILL doing cheese ballads! And other than "Diamond Dave" I'll take Roth solo over Van Hagar BY FAR. ("Diamond Dave" is on par with Van Hagar and Van Crap III, meaning I won't listen to any of them.)

BTW I thought YFLM definitely had solid songs like "You're Breathin' It" (original), "She's My Machine," "Sunburn," and my favorite from the album, "Experience." I know it's not Dave's best but it's still got some stuff on there that sounds good. I'll listen to YFLM in its entirety over any Van Hagar album in its entirety any day of the week.

SheAintWaiting
04-11-2004, 01:26 AM
>>"Sammy Hagar was lucky to have been in Van Halen. He was a haircut away from being Eddie Money and would be long forgotten by now"<<

I second what Phoenix said. Eddie Money wasn't so bad.
At least he had the gonads to be an NYC cop before he
started the singing gig. And he had okay kinda hair.
Yes, he faded to "Celebrity Theater" tours and then nothing,
but still it's rather an insult to Eddie Money to compare him
to Hagar. Hagar simply has no peers. The only other physically
repulsive, talentless screamer that's made it to rock stardom
that I can think of is that Melisa Ethrige chick. Maybe the
two of THEM should go on tour as the "SCREAMING LESBOS
REUNION TOUR O4". They could both wear khaki shorts,
hairy legs, man-tits and Teva sandals on stage. They'd
be right at home with each other!!!

SheAintWaiting

Roth kills Sam
04-11-2004, 02:42 AM
I like to think Sammy brought a more, delicate, loving, warm fuzzy feeling to the music. Van Hagar touches the spot in my heart that yearns for a power ballad

Sarge
04-11-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Lou
Well this is what I don't know--why did Dave leave? Could it be because Eddie wanted to sell out with keyboards and Dave had enough of it? Maybe Eddie had some crap ballads in mind and Dave wanted no part of it?

You have to read CFTH!

pete
04-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Rubnose
overproduced demo.

pete
04-11-2004, 10:40 AM
You have to read CFTH!

The Bible

amen

Golden AWe
04-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Roth kills Sam
I like to think Sammy brought a more, delicate, loving, warm fuzzy feeling to the music. Van Hagar touches the spot in my heart that yearns for a power ballad

LOL

Your ass yearns for a dick and your forehead yearns for a bullethole.

Lou
04-11-2004, 11:31 AM
I just got in CFTH the other day, so I do have to read it...however whatever it says it is Dave's spin on it after all. I guess the truth lies somewhere in between as the cliche goes.

Big Troubles
04-11-2004, 11:45 AM
It will definatly be his spin on things. But the more you read, the more you come to understand he really had no other option. They didn't want to rehearse. When Dave was ready they weren't, and when they conveniently were ready to lay down some tracks (5150), Dave was off doing the movie project and solo ep project. His take is that they were looking for a reason to dump him and they found it. With the solo success of CFTH, it looked as if Dave didn't need VH anyways. Still doesn't. Thats Ed's problem. He needs someone to follow him around and do what they are told. Dave is not that way. Spermmy is.

ELVIS
04-11-2004, 02:46 PM
Yeah but at the time.. Dave's head was spinning with the thought of being a movie star. That there were bigger things out there for him than being in Van Halen...

Everything Dave touched at the time turned to gold, and he was surrounded by people making him believe he was the next best thing since sliced bread.

I do not believe Van Halen was looking to dump Dave. He walked...

Big Troubles
04-11-2004, 02:54 PM
yeah. :D

Big Troubles
04-11-2004, 02:58 PM
But I do also believe that at that point in time, the thought of replacing Dave was very much in their minds. They replaced him before Dave had a chance to say anything at all. Listen to Edward talk about Dave today. He knows Dave's a shinning star. Dave brings midas to the band, whether Ed likes it or not. And we all know he doesn't. (96 anyone?) Thats why I believe that it's more than likely that Ed and the crew used this whole "Dave's gone solo thing and doing a movie thing" to replace him. To Edward it was validation. To the rest of us and Dave it was just an excuse that Ed was needing at the time.

There. Better than just saying "yeah" eh? ;)

Switch84
04-11-2004, 03:16 PM
:confused: :) It's all spilt milk, y'all. What I want to know is where can they go from here, especially after the debaucle that is Van Hatin2 and 'Diamond Dave'.

Reality check for all of them; Dave & the VH Crew need each other. I'm stepping out of my 'river in Egypt' to acknowledge it.

Are you?

Big Troubles
04-11-2004, 03:39 PM
I stepped out awhile ago. I just know that they need each other and swallowing more than pride might be in order. ;)

ELVIS
04-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Switch84
Reality check for all of them; Dave & the VH Crew need each other. I'm stepping out of my 'river in Egypt' to acknowledge it.

Are you?

Sure baby.. It's just been awhile since I piped in on anything =VH=

thefive
04-11-2004, 03:43 PM
After the split in 1984 Dave said time after time after time after time that he did not leave VH for a movie career. Dave said if that was the case he would have done some acting around the 2nd or 3rd VH albums.

The movie reason is bullshit and that is what The Diamond said.
And it is bullshit. Why would he put the eeas band together?
Why did he not take acting lessons? (He had all the time and money).You know Dave doesnt do things half ASSED. Dave would have focused just on acting if that is what he wanted to do.

thefive

ELVIS
04-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Well.. that's how I remember it...

thefive
04-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS

I do not believe Van Halen was looking to dump Dave. He walked...

Maybe he did walk but Dave said in his book that he was tired of waiting around. One of the most important things to Dave he said in his book is that time is very important to him. He didnt just want to lay around and do nothing. Eddie was doing Valerie projects and Alex was driving accross the country so Dave took the time to do CFTH LP.

Dave and Ted Templeton sat and waited in Ed's backyard.(I think for 2 days) Thats in the book.

thefive

thefive
04-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Well.. that's how I remember it...

I wasn't just directing my post toward you Elvis.

I just get tired of the VH bros saying Dave wanted to be a movie star.

I have seen and read many interviews when Dave said that its not true.

thefive

ELVIS
04-11-2004, 03:55 PM
It's not true...

thefive
04-11-2004, 03:57 PM
It's not true...

Whats not true?

thefive

Big Troubles
04-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Im guessing, that Dave didn't want to do acting to begin with.

:D

ELVIS
04-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Correct

Big Troubles
04-11-2004, 05:47 PM
where's five? I need closure on this thread spinning out of control? :lol:

Switch84
04-11-2004, 08:18 PM
where's five? I need closure on this thread spinning out of control? :lol:

:D I need the US Postal system to hurry up and deliver my copy of 'Crazy From the Heat' ASAP!

BUWHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!

ZahZoo
04-12-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by thefive
Maybe he did walk but Dave said in his book that he was tired of waiting around. One of the most important things to Dave he said in his book is that time is very important to him. He didnt just want to lay around and do nothing. Eddie was doing Valerie projects and Alex was driving accross the country so Dave took the time to do CFTH LP.

Dave and Ted Templeton sat and waited in Ed's backyard.(I think for 2 days) Thats in the book.

thefive

I think you touched on it... Dave was anxious to jump into a lot of projects at the time. Felt he was at his peak and had an I'm not waitin on anybody attitude at the time. There was also some creative rifts growing between Dave and Ed musically and CFTH was a release Dave was looking for that he wasn't getting in VH.

That time period would have been a good time for the whole band to take time off and do some side projects. Unfortunately rather than taking a break and stepping back both sides pushed each other into a corner and called each other out. Dave's ego/self-confidence in his perception that he was larger than life and possibly larger than Van Halen... led him to decide to walk. Then both parties had to go out and prove they were able to make it on their own and for a short period they did to varying degrees... the rest is history.

Big Troubles
04-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by ZahZoo
I think you touched on it... Dave was anxious to jump into a lot of projects at the time. Felt he was at his peak and had an I'm not waitin on anybody attitude at the time. There was also some creative rifts growing between Dave and Ed musically and CFTH was a release Dave was looking for that he wasn't getting in VH.

That time period would have been a good time for the whole band to take time off and do some side projects. Unfortunately rather than taking a break and stepping back both sides pushed each other into a corner and called each other out. Dave's ego/self-confidence in his perception that he was larger than life and possibly larger than Van Halen... led him to decide to walk. Then both parties had to go out and prove they were able to make it on their own and for a short period they did to varying degrees... the rest is history.

Well said. Word for word. ;)